3 way Monitors (Eyefinity) or 1 120hz 3D monitor

Like the title says, i can get 3 21.4" monitors for 500$, or a 3D vision Bundle for the same price.

Opinions?

Thank You, I'm in no rush, but I would like to have some thoughts in my head!:) :hello:
126 answers Last reply
More about monitors eyefinity 120hz monitor
  1. Edit: Sorry for the typo, and I didn't see the sig.

    If so that would be my choice. More games support multiple monitor setups and many more are now coming with the custom eyefinity resolution options.

    Only a few games implement 3d effectively. Many more are using it tacked on and it doesn't work as well. I have played a few games that have been breathtaking and a few that I could've done without the 3d.

    Basically look at the games you play a lot now and games you plan on playing. If any support 3d and you want that capability then go for that. Otherwise I would stick with the multimonitor setup and think about possibly going for 3d in a year or so if it really becomes a factor.
  2. FOV > 3D all the way.

    Cheers!
  3. +1 on that :)
  4. There is no 5890 (yet), but if you see his sig, he has a 5970+5870.

    L1qu1d For me I would go surround first, and then add 3D once 3D surround pans out a little more (especially BR support). But it's really a personal decision, do you like 3D gaming more than surround. Both are good.
  5. TheGreatGrapeApe said:
    There is no 5890 (yet), but if you see his sig, he has a 5970+5870.

    L1qu1d For me I would go surround first, and then add 3D once 3D surround pans out a little more (especially BR support). But it's really a personal decision, do you like 3D gaming more than surround. Both are good.



    Whoops. Typo/Slip up, and I didn't see the sig.
  6. Brotha - I wouldn't waste your money till those things get down on the cheap. Whats the point in 3 monitors really? Give people more of a reason to break into your house lol. No but for real isn't that already a little overkill. Why not just upgrade to a monitor that has a higher resolution. I personally can't stand either 3D or 3 Monitor gaming.
  7. nrnx said:
    Why not just upgrade to a monitor that has a higher resolution.


    Because it's not the same, unless it's a monitor that is as wide with the same FOV (like the stretched wrap-around ones).

    Quote:
    No but for real isn't that already a little overkill.


    You're sayng this to someone who have an HD5970+5870 in Xfire? :lol:

    Quote:
    I personally can't stand either 3D or 3 Monitor gaming.


    Probably discounts your advice a great deal then. ;)
  8. I would be looking at 3 monitors. I'm not really a fan of the "3-D" vision. The push for such 3-D vision has been around for a while. I remember ELSA pushing it back when they still use to sell cards to the US. You would need to swap out your Radeons for some nVidia GPUs and use the funny glasses. Of course, all the glasses are doing is blinding one eye at a time so each eye is looking at 60Hz, there by creating the effect.

    With eye infinity and 3 screens you will have a big viewing area and alot of productivity space. Personally I like having one screen for gaming, but for productivity using more than one screen is great ^_^. Wish I could get a second monitor at work, but I'm lucky I even have an LCD truth be told.
  9. thinking about it and your already fairly extravagant system... :D

    in an ideal world with money to blow I'd:

    run 3 1080 projectors onto a custom/home made curved screen (wouldn't be too hard to put together really well - can give some tips if you like) around your desk for massive gaming sessions ^^

    and maybe keep your current screen for work, or any combination :D
  10. @ TGGA's

    Probably discounts your advice a great deal then. ;)


    I'm sorry but that made me laugh like hell lol, I'm laughin while typing ahaha. I'm sorry its just so simple lol!

    hmmm. Cuz I found 3 decent slim monitors, Asus Ultra Slims (forgot their code) 159.99$ + touchscreen :S

    Hmmm.

    Oh now I officially haev 2 5870s, no 5970 anymore:(I had to give it back to my friend :'( lol But if things go bad with 3 monitors, I might need to grab 1 for good haha.
  11. Eyefinity all the way. the FOV rocks. I am just hoping to be able to get a couple more 23" displays myself :-)
  12. I'd be careful of those monitors - maybe a slight tint to the screen from the touch screen overlay + maybe not the greatest specs...?

    Screens like this are very good - sorry for UK sites n my current opinions:

    Best cheap LED 24" screen with no HDMI - £166.38 $251.24
    24" Acer EcoDisplay LED 1920x1080

    or

    Best cheap LED 24" screen with HDMI - £179.99 $271.76
    BenQ V2410 Eco 24" Widescreen LED Monitor

    I own the BenQ non HDMI version and am very pleased with it and is cheaper than what I listed for non HDMI.

    My Bro owns the Acer HDMI version which has a better quality screen than the BenQ's - but is a Lot more expensive HDMI screen I listed.

    Though they are both great - but next to each other the Acer is "slightly" nicer, if you look close lol
  13. Here is the monitor incase ppl want to know.

    http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=027208&cid=MTR.282

    I'm not grabbing it from there, I'm getting it from my friend's store
  14. ahh

    nice screens they will be!

    21.5" with 1920x1080 and Pixel Pitch: 0.248mm

    My BenQ 24" has 1920x1080 and Pixel Pitch: 0.276

    I think 3 of them will look Damn Fine!

    The ones you showed didn't seem to have touchscreen... maybe a good thing?
    If they are touchscreen, would be great for making music for your banks of nobs etc :D
  15. What bothers me about the tri monitor set up are the bezels. Really down grades the effect and is annoying. I don't like the "3d" effect but I think I'd opt for a really big single monitor.
  16. Touch keys**** lol
  17. While I havnt gamed much on 3D, I have heard of headaches, eyeaches etc from it, while other have had no problems.
    I guess its up to you, just adding my 2 shekels
  18. I think its great that we have these choices now. 1 year ago who thought we would be debating the real life application of 3 x 1920x1280 monitors or 3d? In a year or two we will be looking at 3 monitors and 3d.

    Man Im loving this life :D
  19. or you can buy 3 120hz 1080p monitors so if you ever get a gtx480 you can do 3d surround?
  20. You still need 2 GTX480s in order to do 3D Surround, and there's still no support for it yet.

    So you could also buy SIX 1080P projectors for the planned Hollow-Deck idea that inspired Eyefinity, but you're not going to get practical use out of them until then.
  21. How about 3 Widescreen (rectangular) HDTV's?
    Those $1700 Sony's.
    My father in law has one it's a couple of years old
    and I could just imagine 3 of those doing Eyefinity.
    Damn you could probably sit 3 or 4 people in front of it and play.
    I couldn't quite get it to happen but you folk$ with the dough...
    It'd be a cool idea to try.
  22. umm I'm talking about spending in total around 500$, and your giving me 1 tv that topples my 500 3 times over? LOL
  23. L1qu1d said:
    umm I'm talking about spending in total around 500$, and your giving me 1 tv that topples my 500 3 times over? LOL

    Just dreaming.
    Eyefinity is a bit over my head right now but I'll get it eventually.
    Seems basically what they were doing with the old Atari cabinets back in the early 90's
    with games such as 'Race Drivin' where they would have the huge sit down console running 3 19 inch TV's.
    How come it took so long to get it past the old consoles?
    We're talking a good 15 years back.
  24. just go for the eyefinity...
  25. TheGreatGrapeApe said:

    Probably discounts your advice a great deal then. ;)


    FFS , yes lets discount all negative opinions , and only feed the joy with positive spin .
    I would never do eyefinity, don't think I would do 3d either. But those 120mhz lcd's look very nice.
    IMO a 2560x1600 monitor would be a lot sweeter upgrade/toy/extravagance, whatever.
    But of course thats why you can buy 3 monitors for less than what one of those cost.
    edit: Does the op , already have a area in his house. That will accommodate 3 monitors set up full time?
    When you surf the web, which one do you use ? The one on the left or the center? :)
  26. L1qu1d said:


    Nice looking (aesthetically) screen, let me know what you think of them, I might pick one up from the Cummer/Yonge (TO North York) store when I visit the folks in the spring.
  27. So you live in toronto eh?
  28. I think I'd rather eyefinity than have one big high res monitor. The main reason is that the eyefinity gives you peripheral vision to add to the immersion factor. If/when I do this, I plan to overlap the bezels so having those ultrathin monitors should help and limit the obstruction of them.
  29. As someone who has glasses, I vote for Eyefinity. As a logical person, I still vote Eyefinity. As I understand it, many games will support it, while not everything supports 3D. Unless you are a non gamer and are buying all the 3D movies, I'd stay with Eyefinity. At least until 3D gets better/bigger.
  30. TGGA go to my friend's store if ur in TO, Filtech maybe I can get you like 30$ off or something.

    :)
  31. notty22 said:
    FFS , yes lets discount all negative opinions , and only feed the joy with positive spin .


    Yes let's.
    For someone who can't stand either, and by the sounds of it never used either, WTF value does his opinion have other than post count +1 !?!

    It's like asking "Should I buy a new sports car or a new motorbike?" and then someone opines "I don't like to drive either of them, I prefer to walk." [:thegreatgrapeape:5]

    I'd far better respect someone who actually contributed something while saying they didn't much care for either '.. but if you wanted to go in stages the you could get a 3D supporting panel of good quality now, and then add 2 more in time...', etc.

    I've used both extensively, having first got my taste for surround gaming with the Parhelia and 3 Sony CRTs back in the Morrowind days almost a decade ago and done it again with the TH2G and projectors at work; plus having worked with professional apps and gamed in 3D long before that. Like I said, I like both, I just don't feel they've matured equally, nor are at the same level of maturity, but at least I'll stick to the question and not make up my own about how much nicer it would be for him to get an OLED round wall custom made for himself because isn't that cool. :kaola:
  32. L1qu1d said:
    TGGA go to my friend's store if ur in TO, Filtech maybe I can get you like 30$ off or something.

    :)


    Cool, might do just that. :sol:
    I tend to buy a ton of stuff when I visit the folks (or my siste in NCIX-land BC) usually I end up going to the computer mecca of College & Spadina, where even my Dad and sister can shop for Apple hardware *shudder*. :evil:
  33. WEll FiltechComputes is Spadina and college:) lol
  34. Sweet, well I'll likely be in the area anyways, I love shopping down there, but the CreditCard doesn't. ;)
  35. I just go a ati 5850 with 3 x Asus 22 inch monitor in eyefinity mode and i am so happy !!! it is the best thing out there since ssd !!
  36. TheGreatGrapeApe said:
    Yes let's.
    For someone who can't stand either, and by the sounds of it never used either, WTF value does his opinion have other than post count +1 !?!

    It's like asking "Should I buy a new sports car or a new motorbike?" and then someone opines "I don't like to drive either of them, I prefer to walk." [:thegreatgrapeape:5]

    I'd far better respect someone who actually contributed something while saying they didn't much care for either '.. but if you wanted to go in stages the you could get a 3D supporting panel of good quality now, and then add 2 more in time...', etc.

    I've used both extensively, having first got my taste for surround gaming with the Parhelia and 3 Sony CRTs back in the Morrowind days almost a decade ago and done it again with the TH2G and projectors at work; plus having worked with professional apps and gamed in 3D long before that. Like I said, I like both, I just don't feel they've matured equally, nor are at the same level of maturity, but at least I'll stick to the question and not make up my own about how much nicer it would be for him to get an OLED round wall custom made for himself because isn't that cool. :kaola:

    So lets decode this, you haven't actually used eyefinitey on a 5 series card yourself ? I played Daytona USA 15 years ago at the arcade, that sounds as close to eyefinity gaming experience as you. I'm sorry but your losing site that this all about playing games. It may be visually exciting for you, but if it worsens the gaming experience its going to become boring, old and a huge waste of money real fast.
  37. beauchee said:
    I just go a ati 5850 with 3 x Asus 22 inch monitor in eyefinity mode and i am so happy !!! it is the best thing out there since ssd !!

    What games are you playing ? Do they all work?
  38. notty22 said:
    So lets decode this, you haven't actually used eyefinitey on a 5 series card yourself ?


    Actually I have, I've gamed on eyefinity rigs and on 3D Vision rigs for hours. I don't own one, since it is not something supported by my mobile hardware until they come out with something that does (I do have a triple [had quad] monitor setup at work on my Dell Laptop through the Docking Station, but it's not for gaming). I personally game on big screen plasmas at work and home as well as projectors, because I do what I want with what I can. My experience is quite extensive, even across my and other people's rigs/setups, often ones I've spec'd out for them (Kinda help when co-workers can take home spare LCDs). I focused on the experiences that made me go 'wow' and the first time playing surround gaming and the first time paying it with 3 x 90" screens is the kinda thing worth mentioning.

    EDIT: BTW, just today I used the 3D Vision setup at Memory Express in the NW to show 2 co-workers what that was like while we picked up some other toys (like a USB to VGA adapter for one of their laptops).

    Quote:
    I played Daytona USA 15 years ago at the arcade, that sounds as close to eyefinity gaming experience as you.


    Not really, but you keep turning left, eventually you'll get there. :kaola:

    Quote:
    I'm sorry but your losing site that this all about playing games.


    No I didn't lose sight of that at all. BOTH have their benefits for game play, BOTH can have other benefits, but multi-monitor productivity/entertainment is a little easier to see as a benefit than a 120hz 3D setup whose other benefits are very limited (3D photos, 3D movies, 3D object manipulaiton, slightly smoother game refresh over 60-75hz?). But as it stands overall for games like I said originally, it's really a personal call on which has higher value, because as already mentioned, some people have major issues with headaches or with bezels, but even when that's the case there is the fall-back benefit.

    Quote:
    It may be visually exciting for you, but if it worsens the gaming experience its going to become boring, old and a huge waste of money real fast.


    That's your assumption, and I don't see how $500 becomes a 'huge waste of money' ? I spent that on a single weekend of skiing, or more on a single suit. 3D setup is no cheaper, BOTH are about the same money.
    And that's it BOTH have their good and their bad, and you seem to not see that, instead seeming to think the 'I like to walk' idea is still the best answer. :sarcastic:
  39. withdrawn
  40. Why is it every time someone makes a thread about this it goes to hell?

    Ape, you said they are at different maturity points, I assume you feel the Eyefinity route is a bit ahead? Thats how I see it as there are more PhysX games then 3D games. It can be a nice tech, but until you can actually use it its pointless. Eyefinity now, Eyefinity + 3D once you can do it.
  41. Hell must be thee destination to visit these days. :)

    I should also note that no matter which company you choose you will eventually get the ability to do both.

    I chose Eyefinity because out of the two I see myself using it a lot more, if not every time I turn on a game.
  42. 4745454b said:
    Why is it every time someone makes a thread about this it goes to hell?

    Ape, you said they are at different maturity points, I assume you feel the Eyefinity route is a bit ahead? Thats how I see it as there are more PhysX games then 3D games. It can be a nice tech, but until you can actually use it its pointless. Eyefinity now, Eyefinity + 3D once you can do it.


    I think the main point is that Eyefinity takes very little effort by the devs to support, while 3d vision takes a lot more. So, it's likely most games will support eyefinity in the near future, while 3d vision will likely take a while to become mainstream.

    One other thing, and maybe this is just me, but 3d vision requires you to use glasses. At first, this doesn't bother a person, but after a while, I find wearing glasses, or headsets just feels annoying.
  43. Try needing to wear glasses then put the 3d glasses over them. It feels a bit more then annoying.
  44. 4745454b said:
    ?
    Ape, you said they are at different maturity points, I assume you feel the Eyefinity route is a bit ahead?


    Yep, it's just the widerspread support, and long list of current and older titles that can be made to work, even just through FOV hacks (Matrox can be thanked for that IMO). 3D is a little more limited, but it is definitely going to improve over time, just unsure of how long that time-line will be, hoping that 3D BluRay starts to push it ahead.

    I also think '3D-vision' is just a stepping stone, and the tech will change more dramatically in the next few years, whereas the basics of Eyefinity/Surround-gaming will remain somewhat the same over the near term.

    Quote:
    It can be a nice tech, but until you can actually use it its pointless. Eyefinity now, Eyefinity + 3D once you can do it.


    Yep, that's the way I see it. But for some people, like PhysX, 3D can be the killer 'must-have' thing even for just one or two titles whereas surround means nothing to them.
  45. 4745454b said:
    Try needing to wear glasses then put the 3d glasses over them. It feels a bit more then annoying.

    Will trying to look at 3 monitors at once peripherally be any easier with glasses. Looking out of the corner of your eye, does it involve you needing to turn your head to utilize the glasses ?
  46. None of the above, I would go with the alienware DLP if I were to spend that much money...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UixSNqED4pc

    0.2ms / no ghosting

    the bezel is annoying when you have 3 monitors IMO...
  47. Nice monitor like the old iQ ones, but is it $500 like the 3 L1qu1d was looking at?

    Usually they are much more than that, last time I looked they were $1500+
  48. The bezels don’t bother me, and as for glasses notty22, I wear glasses and with my 22" screens I can see all of them without turning my head (24" + screens might change that but it also depends on how far you sit from them as well). I personally can look at the center screen and see something move out of the corner of my eye (even if its outside the view of my glasses) and kill whatever it was (most of the time :) ). For the short time I had my friends screen my kill to death ratio and survivability (average life span) in Battle field 2 and 2142 shot up tremendously (three fold increase).
  49. yep, but soon that DLP will drop in price once the 120Hz go mainstream. Same as regular DLP screens that started out at a ridiculous price and now you can get a 60 Inch 1080p for less than 900.00$

    To the OP, I would wait a bit till prices come down, ATM a 22" 120Hz (3D) Monitor costs aprox 330.00$ shipped. In about 6 months it should be around the 250.00$ range and there will be better options to choose from (2ms that wont break the bank) etc..
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Monitors 3D Graphics Product