Mt Power

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
Hello all,

Ok I finally got my fx6300 oced pretty stable on air at 4.2ghz, @ 1.312v. (about to prime95 it)

as i cant get the oc any higher (heat related,) i am looking at increasing the north bridge frequency. as i hear you can see a good gain from it!?!

So there is the Cpu N\B freq setting in the bios. its set to auto 2000mhz.

there is the HT link freq also. it is set auto 2600mhz.

under the cpu NB freq it says "warning if cpu NB freq is lower the HT link speed, system will correct freq as default."

Im a little confused at this point :p if these are the default settings, is that what the NB frequency is defaulted to, or is it defaulted to the HT link? does increasing the NB freq make that much difference. why do these setting seem to be the same? will batman be able to save catwomen? ...someone help me!!

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Hypertransport cannot run faster than the northbridge, if you want to know what exactly they are running at it is listed within cpu-z. Also, rising the N/B frequency/voltage will also raise the cpu temps.

If you want to know what kind of a difference it will make, why don't you try it running benchmarks before and after.

If you are already temp limited, I suggest you purchase some better cooling means.

Mt Power

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012

Hey thanks for the respond!

So in cpuz the rated fsb was refering to the HT, not the NB.
I did some toying around with the settings, got it to run a bit. 2200 mhz on the HT, and 2400mhz on the NB. I did have to juice up the NB volts , and The cpu\NB volts. I know people say 1.2 v on the nb is ok, on my mobo(990fxa-ud5) it reds out at 1.2v. is that ok passing that?

I stopped messing with that, and was working on the video card(gtx 670) again...I got new parts for xmas, still trying to beat them into submission!

So as you were saying, and i was thinking. I may need better cooling! I have a 212 evo. is there any other hsf that would do better? Avoiding water solutions, as it sounds like to much maintenance for me :)

Thanks!

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Most say 1.3v is max on cpu-N/B, this is what I stick to. Some people say 1.4v is absolute max.

There are better HSF's out there but they will cost you between 70-90 dollars. The little bit of performance increase might not be worth the cost imo.

Mt Power

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012

excellent! Thanks for the replies :)