But what should the core temps be?

kahoona

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
Hello,
I have a Intel Q6600 2 core quad and I am trying to configure Speed fan but try as I might I can not find specific Max Core temps anywhere. It looks like they ought to be around 65c-70c I am trying to get my cooling adjusted. Can anybody point me in the right direction? I am on my second day of research now!
Thanks
Rob

The number you are referring to is 60.3C. This is, however, the Tcase max (CPU case max temperature), not the max core. If you hit the max core, the CPU would be throttling itself. It's also important to note that if you are overclocking, the TJmax (core max) decreases. I generally only feel comfortable if my CPU core temps are below 60C anyway. I set it to go full fanspeed at 55C. But I do this in the bios, not using a program like speedfan.

If you ever do manage to find the TJmax, let me know. I can't find it. I've even been through intel and AMD's datasheets for their CPUs.

kahoona

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
I have the same experience- simple to find the CPU but cannot find out the core max anywhere. I have found it for other CPUs bot not the Q6600. Someday I will and then I will post it.
Come on folks somebody out there has to have obtained that info, doesn't anybody overclock one of these? Meanwhile I'll just set the limit way up there and forgedaboutit.

kahoona

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
Thanks Kraynor. I appreciate the info. I now know that I am within the temp range and can move on to another problem.I'll stick around and see if I can help others, though you guys are far beyond my level. One more question though-How can I figure out which of those mine is? I know I saved the serial # after I built the system but I cannot find it now. Is that info on the serial #?
Thanks
Kahoona

PS I am not overclocking.

Use a program called CPU-Z
http://www.google.ca/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=cpu-z

Great program. It can give you all the information you need, including the stepping.

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
No problem at all, we're here to help and all that.

CPU-Z will get that info for you all right, then you can enter the appropriate figure into whatever program you use to see what your temp actually is.

Here's where to find it:
Stepping.png

kahoona

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
WOW! More information than I knew existed! Very cool. Thanks. I'll have to play with that for a while and see what it all means. Thanks. So my revision is G0 and my limit is 90c so I've set that and I don't come anywhere near that at 90 to 100% CPU so I am good on that. I am trying to track down a problem and working one step at a time. The next stage is slightly different so I am going to start a new Question/thread for it but I would appreciate it if you would check it out. I just hope that I can answer some newbie questions to contribute. I thought I knew a little but nothing compared to what goes on here! :)
Thanks
Kahoona

TRENDING THREADS