Sign in with
Your question

Blue Screen of Death!! Help

Last response: in Systems
March 17, 2010 11:44:30 AM

Did my first new build about a month ago and everything I must say went fairly smooth. The wiring at first was a little overwhelming but after a lot of scratching my head, it worked out.

Have not had a problem since the build. Computer has been turned on everyday since and runs about 12-16 hrs a day.

Yesterday while on Facebook I went to Farmville(I do it for the kids). After a little bit the screen went blue with a bunch of text but quickly restarted and I didn't get to read it. Computer restarted by itself and I started in normal Windows mode.

Firefox took me right back to Farmville and the PC was fine the rest of the day. Was on Facebook and Farmville several more times throughout the day.

Same thing happened just now on Facebook doing Farmville but this time the blue screen stayed so I could read it. It basically just said if this is the first time seeing this error screen restart your computer if its not the first check hard drive space change video adapter etc etc...

The STOP error was 0x0000001E

Plenty of room on my HD and the video adapter has been great running iracing at max resolution for weeks without any problems.

I've OC my memory to the timing specs recommended by GSkill the day of the build but haven't had any problems at all.

The only thing new that I did was, the other day for some reason Farmville had a Missing Plugin for Farmville and it was Apples Quicktime. I installed it manually and thought nothing of it. That is the only change.

Any suggestions would be great. I did not update the BIOS because most people said don't if your not having problems. Plus the Bios thing scares me and updating it wrong will probably make matters worse.

MOBO Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
XFX Radeon 5870
GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
AMD x4 955 Black 3.2
Antec 750w PS
Windows 7

Please Help

More about : blue screen death

a b B Homebuilt system
March 17, 2010 2:00:03 PM

BSOD's are usually caused by either dead/dying RAM or incorrect RAM settings in the BIOS. You said you set the RAM speed to the correct value. Did you also manually set the timings and voltage? If not, you should do that and then perform an overnight Memtest86+ test to check for RAM errors.

Which exact G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 RAM kit did you get?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
March 17, 2010 4:24:49 PM

Its been running great for a month. Would the memory start acting up now?

This is what I installed and yes I adjusted the timings and voltage according to a post I saw on newegg from GSkill support for using this memory with a AMD.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I ran 2 complete test with Memtest86+ V4.00 and both were Pass. It started the 3rd after a hour or more of testing and I stopped it.

I googled Quicktime and I think that might be my problem. Only happened after I installed it and use it for whatever reason on Farmville. Happened twice both on that.

QT was telling me I had to update so I did that a little bit ago. We will see if that works. Been to other sights with no problems and just got done racing with no problems.
Related resources
March 17, 2010 4:30:34 PM

This is the post I'm referring to for AMD users to get the correct settings. These are the ones I'm using. 8 8 8 24 1.60v and ddr3-1600. My board might be able to get the rated settings but I picked the ones they recommended for AMD users to play it safe. I think I am good with the memory, its the Quicktime stuff I'm worried about now.

Dear Customer

Thank you for your G.Skill purchase and review. This memory package is designed for Intel specifications, but it can work for AMD platforms. On most AMD motherboards, the rated specifications of this particular memory package can not be reached due to BIOS limitations (Unable to operate DDR3-1600 CL7). AMD users will need to use 8-8-8-24 timings instead of the rated 7-8-7-24 for Intel platforms. Memory voltage 1.60V and memory frequency DDR3-1600 can remain the same. Everything should work fine then. If you have any further questions or issues, please feel free to let us know.

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT

Quality and customer service are our top priorities.

Tech Support Email: ustech@gskillusa.com
RMA Dept Email: rma@gskillusa.com
G.Skill Forum: http://www.gskill.us/forum/
March 21, 2010 12:40:06 AM

Dude, do you have an AntiVirus on your computer? If not, get Microsoft Security Essentials (free), download it and install the program, fully scan the OS for malware, trojans, etc, because that can cause a BSOD. That happened to me numerous of times with my old motherboard, and the Hard Drive died afterward, but my old Hard Drive works now.
March 24, 2010 3:09:28 AM

MAY Be u should remover ram from socket and re install or check if these GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 supports reliably ur pc.... it dumps memory that ur ram is unable to access and then boot the os
April 3, 2010 6:31:24 PM

Installed the update for Quicktime the next day, and it hasn't happened since.
April 3, 2010 6:39:49 PM

hehehe,,,,,,,,,,,, tell dude ur were joking rit
!