lgreenjeans

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
Hello, I have a Dell Optiplex GX260 and I want to add an ASUS DRW-24B1ST. The writer is SATA and there is no SATA port on the computer. What do I need to make this work?

Solution
You could get an external enclosure to put it in, which would then connect to your machine via usb. It would probably make more sense to buy a drive that comes shipped in an enclosure though, and you could just plug it in at that point.

I wouldn't bother trying to use an ide/sata converter and using the drive internally. Hopefully your machine has usb 2.0 ports, and the burning speed would still be decent even over usb rather then a sata port.

tomatthe

Distinguished
You could get an external enclosure to put it in, which would then connect to your machine via usb. It would probably make more sense to buy a drive that comes shipped in an enclosure though, and you could just plug it in at that point.

I wouldn't bother trying to use an ide/sata converter and using the drive internally. Hopefully your machine has usb 2.0 ports, and the burning speed would still be decent even over usb rather then a sata port.

Solution

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
^ This is the easiest solution & definitely don't use IDE/SATA converters unless you want to make yourself crazy :pt1cable:

You could also install a native IDE drive...

sammymax

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
I don't know about the card but it's best avoiding IDE. I think your three choices are to get a completely new computer, get a non-SATA disk drive, or try to live without it.

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
3rd party SATA cards are less than ideal. They can work, but they can also be a pain. I'm a fan of staying with what's native to your system. E.g., in this case, staying with IDE for internal or USB for external.

lgreenjeans

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
Thanks for the input folks! I picked up the Dell Optimus for 100 bucks and I had previously purchased (2) Asus Sata DVD burners as they were a bargain. Just wanted to see if there was a simple way to utilize the burner with that computer. Thanks again!