Sign in with
Your question
Solved

IDE/SATA?

Last response: in Storage
April 12, 2012 9:16:23 AM

Hello, I have a Dell Optiplex GX260 and I want to add an ASUS DRW-24B1ST. The writer is SATA and there is no SATA port on the computer. What do I need to make this work?

More about : ide sata

Best solution

a b G Storage
April 12, 2012 9:53:39 AM

You could get an external enclosure to put it in, which would then connect to your machine via usb. It would probably make more sense to buy a drive that comes shipped in an enclosure though, and you could just plug it in at that point.

I wouldn't bother trying to use an ide/sata converter and using the drive internally. Hopefully your machine has usb 2.0 ports, and the burning speed would still be decent even over usb rather then a sata port.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b G Storage
April 12, 2012 11:32:21 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't bother trying to use an ide/sata converter and using the drive internally. Hopefully your machine has usb 2.0 ports, and the burning speed would still be decent even over usb rather then a sata port.

^ This is the easiest solution & definitely don't use IDE/SATA converters unless you want to make yourself crazy :pt1cable: 

You could also install a native IDE drive...
Related resources
April 13, 2012 8:02:54 PM

Whats the consensus on the "Koutech PSA150 PCI SATA Controller Card"?
April 13, 2012 8:18:20 PM

I don't know about the card but it's best avoiding IDE. I think your three choices are to get a completely new computer, get a non-SATA disk drive, or try to live without it.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b G Storage
April 14, 2012 11:47:34 AM

3rd party SATA cards are less than ideal. They can work, but they can also be a pain. I'm a fan of staying with what's native to your system. E.g., in this case, staying with IDE for internal or USB for external.
April 21, 2012 2:30:41 PM

Best answer selected by lgreenjeans.
April 21, 2012 2:34:25 PM

Thanks for the input folks! I picked up the Dell Optimus for 100 bucks and I had previously purchased (2) Asus Sata DVD burners as they were a bargain. Just wanted to see if there was a simple way to utilize the burner with that computer. Thanks again!
!