AC Adapter jack repair

Hello!
I have a Dell Inspiron 2650. The AC Adapter is not charging the
battery. I believe it's a loose pin in the jack or possibly a loose
wire btwn the jack & motherboard. I think I'm going to open up that
laptop and take a look inside and see if there is any thing I can do.
Can anyone tell me if this is a repair I can do myself? Anything I
should be careful of when opening? Has someone done it before?

I was given the option to send it back to Dell for a flat fee of $160
+ cost of a new M B. I believe it's cheaper to but a new laptop for
that cost...

Pls let me know.

Mileve
11 answers Last reply
More about adapter jack repair

    Mil?ve wrote:
    > Hello!
    > I have a Dell Inspiron 2650. The AC Adapter is not charging the
    > battery. I believe it's a loose pin in the jack or possibly a loose
    > wire btwn the jack & motherboard. I think I'm going to open up that
    > laptop and take a look inside and see if there is any thing I can do.
    > Can anyone tell me if this is a repair I can do myself? Anything I
    > should be careful of when opening? Has someone done it before?
    >
    > I was given the option to send it back to Dell for a flat fee of $160
    > + cost of a new M B. I believe it's cheaper to but a new laptop for
    > that cost...
    >
    > Pls let me know.
    >
    > Mileve

    I repair this type of problem all the time.
    Yes when I worked for Compaq that was the story...new system board.
    However it usually can be fixed.
    I'd charge you about $150 for the whole job.
    If you do it yourself you will have to take great care. The laptop will
    have to be completely dismantled and its hard enough when you know what
    you are doing to get it back with all the screws in the right places.
    Take measures to eliminate static from the area that you work. Don't
    scuff across the carpet then handle circuit boards.
    Better still get it to someone who knows what they are doing.

    primatech <graeme@NOSPAMprimatechnologies.com.au> wrote in message news:<ns7Zc.14965$D7.14800@news-server.bigpond.net.au>...
    > Mil?ve wrote:
    > > Hello!
    > > I have a Dell Inspiron 2650. The AC Adapter is not charging the
    > > battery. I believe it's a loose pin in the jack or possibly a loose
    > > wire btwn the jack & motherboard. I think I'm going to open up that
    > > laptop and take a look inside and see if there is any thing I can do.
    > > Can anyone tell me if this is a repair I can do myself? Anything I
    > > should be careful of when opening? Has someone done it before?
    > >
    > > I was given the option to send it back to Dell for a flat fee of $160
    > > + cost of a new M B. I believe it's cheaper to but a new laptop for
    > > that cost...
    > >
    > > Pls let me know.
    > >
    > > Mileve
    >
    > I repair this type of problem all the time.
    > Yes when I worked for Compaq that was the story...new system board.
    > However it usually can be fixed.
    > I'd charge you about $150 for the whole job.
    > If you do it yourself you will have to take great care. The laptop will
    > have to be completely dismantled and its hard enough when you know what
    > you are doing to get it back with all the screws in the right places.
    > Take measures to eliminate static from the area that you work. Don't
    > scuff across the carpet then handle circuit boards.
    > Better still get it to someone who knows what they are doing.

    Thanks Primatech!
    Wish I could walk the laptop over to you! Any chance you live in
    South/Cwntral Ontario, Canada? This baby will have to go to a pro.
    You're absolutly right about the dismentlement! I guess if I start to
    take it apart I might as well write it off...

    Mileve

    primatech <graeme@NOSPAMprimatechnologies.com.au> wrote in message news:<ns7Zc.14965$D7.14800@news-server.bigpond.net.au>...
    > Mil?ve wrote:
    > > Hello!
    > > I have a Dell Inspiron 2650. The AC Adapter is not charging the
    > > battery. I believe it's a loose pin in the jack or possibly a loose
    > > wire btwn the jack & motherboard. I think I'm going to open up that
    > > laptop and take a look inside and see if there is any thing I can do.
    > > Can anyone tell me if this is a repair I can do myself? Anything I
    > > should be careful of when opening? Has someone done it before?
    > >
    > > I was given the option to send it back to Dell for a flat fee of $160
    > > + cost of a new M B. I believe it's cheaper to but a new laptop for
    > > that cost...
    > >
    > > Pls let me know.
    > >
    > > Mileve
    >
    > I repair this type of problem all the time.
    > Yes when I worked for Compaq that was the story...new system board.
    > However it usually can be fixed.
    > I'd charge you about $150 for the whole job.
    > If you do it yourself you will have to take great care. The laptop will
    > have to be completely dismantled and its hard enough when you know what
    > you are doing to get it back with all the screws in the right places.
    > Take measures to eliminate static from the area that you work. Don't
    > scuff across the carpet then handle circuit boards.
    > Better still get it to someone who knows what they are doing.

    I'm having about the same problem with a Thinkpad 760xd that I bought
    used for about $150.

    I'd buy a new one before I got a professional to open it and I don't
    want to open it myself.

    Are there anythings I can look for short of opening the laptop?

    In my case, the wires inside of the machine (male) that connect to the
    adapter connection seem to suddenly lose contact after a few hours.

    When the contact goes there are three things that have restored it for
    a few hours.

    1) I can take a plastic knife and apply gentle pressure on the four
    pins. I keep applying them in different directions until it starts
    charging.

    2) I can twist the AC adapter plug in the back of the Thinkpad.
    Sometimes it starts charging

    3) I can put the laptop screen-down with the part with the connector
    face up. I have not done this for any length of time, but it has
    worked for a short time.

    I'd rather not throw the whole machine out because of this. But its
    just not worth either paying a pro or really learning enough about
    electronics myself to actually dismantle and reassemble a laptop.

    I'd appreciate any easy external solutions that might spring to your
    mind.

    Thanks.

    Mil?ve wrote:
    > primatech <graeme@NOSPAMprimatechnologies.com.au> wrote in message news:<ns7Zc.14965$D7.14800@news-server.bigpond.net.au>...
    >
    >>Mil?ve wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello!
    >>>I have a Dell Inspiron 2650. The AC Adapter is not charging the
    >>>battery. I believe it's a loose pin in the jack or possibly a loose
    >>>wire btwn the jack & motherboard. I think I'm going to open up that
    >>>laptop and take a look inside and see if there is any thing I can do.
    >>>Can anyone tell me if this is a repair I can do myself? Anything I
    >>>should be careful of when opening? Has someone done it before?
    >>>
    >>>I was given the option to send it back to Dell for a flat fee of $160
    >>>+ cost of a new M B. I believe it's cheaper to but a new laptop for
    >>>that cost...
    >>>
    >>>Pls let me know.
    >>>
    >>>Mileve
    >>
    >>I repair this type of problem all the time.
    >>Yes when I worked for Compaq that was the story...new system board.
    >>However it usually can be fixed.
    >>I'd charge you about $150 for the whole job.
    >>If you do it yourself you will have to take great care. The laptop will
    >>have to be completely dismantled and its hard enough when you know what
    >>you are doing to get it back with all the screws in the right places.
    >>Take measures to eliminate static from the area that you work. Don't
    >>scuff across the carpet then handle circuit boards.
    >>Better still get it to someone who knows what they are doing.
    >

    > Thanks Primatech!
    > Wish I could walk the laptop over to you! Any chance you live in
    > South/Cwntral Ontario, Canada? This baby will have to go to a pro.
    > You're absolutly right about the dismentlement! I guess if I start to
    > take it apart I might as well write it off...
    >
    > Mileve
    Could be a bit of a trip....
    I'm in Brisbane Australia.
    Phone around...eventually you will find someone local :-)

    quickquestion@mailinator.com (Quick Question) wrote in message news:<a6701912.0409022351.10753723@posting.google.com>...
    > primatech <graeme@NOSPAMprimatechnologies.com.au> wrote in message news:<ns7Zc.14965$D7.14800@news-server.bigpond.net.au>...
    > > Mil?ve wrote:
    > > > Hello!
    > > > I have a Dell Inspiron 2650. The AC Adapter is not charging the
    > > > battery. I believe it's a loose pin in the jack or possibly a loose
    > > > wire btwn the jack & motherboard. I think I'm going to open up that
    > > > laptop and take a look inside and see if there is any thing I can do.
    > > > Can anyone tell me if this is a repair I can do myself? Anything I
    > > > should be careful of when opening? Has someone done it before?
    > > >
    > > > I was given the option to send it back to Dell for a flat fee of $160
    > > > + cost of a new M B. I believe it's cheaper to but a new laptop for
    > > > that cost...
    > > >
    > > > Pls let me know.
    > > >
    > > > Mileve
    > >
    > > I repair this type of problem all the time.
    > > Yes when I worked for Compaq that was the story...new system board.
    > > However it usually can be fixed.
    > > I'd charge you about $150 for the whole job.
    > > If you do it yourself you will have to take great care. The laptop will
    > > have to be completely dismantled and its hard enough when you know what
    > > you are doing to get it back with all the screws in the right places.
    > > Take measures to eliminate static from the area that you work. Don't
    > > scuff across the carpet then handle circuit boards.
    > > Better still get it to someone who knows what they are doing.
    >
    > I'm having about the same problem with a Thinkpad 760xd that I bought
    > used for about $150.
    >
    > I'd buy a new one before I got a professional to open it and I don't
    > want to open it myself.
    >
    > Are there anythings I can look for short of opening the laptop?
    >
    > In my case, the wires inside of the machine (male) that connect to the
    > adapter connection seem to suddenly lose contact after a few hours.
    >
    > When the contact goes there are three things that have restored it for
    > a few hours.
    >
    > 1) I can take a plastic knife and apply gentle pressure on the four
    > pins. I keep applying them in different directions until it starts
    > charging.
    >
    > 2) I can twist the AC adapter plug in the back of the Thinkpad.
    > Sometimes it starts charging
    >
    > 3) I can put the laptop screen-down with the part with the connector
    > face up. I have not done this for any length of time, but it has
    > worked for a short time.
    >
    > I'd rather not throw the whole machine out because of this. But its
    > just not worth either paying a pro or really learning enough about
    > electronics myself to actually dismantle and reassemble a laptop.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any easy external solutions that might spring to your
    > mind.
    >
    > Thanks.

    I experienced the same thing and it got worse. I got no contact at the
    moment. Too bad, I like my laptop :-(

    Hope you find a solution.

    Mileve

    Mil?ve wrote:
    > quickquestion@mailinator.com (Quick Question) wrote in message news:<a6701912.0409022351.10753723@posting.google.com>...
    >
    >>primatech <graeme@NOSPAMprimatechnologies.com.au> wrote in message news:<ns7Zc.14965$D7.14800@news-server.bigpond.net.au>...

    >>>I repair this type of problem all the time.
    >>>Yes when I worked for Compaq that was the story...new system board.
    >>>However it usually can be fixed.
    >>>I'd charge you about $150 for the whole job.
    >>>If you do it yourself you will have to take great care. The laptop will
    >>>have to be completely dismantled and its hard enough when you know what
    >>>you are doing to get it back with all the screws in the right places.
    >>>Take measures to eliminate static from the area that you work. Don't
    >>>scuff across the carpet then handle circuit boards.
    >>>Better still get it to someone who knows what they are doing.
    >>
    >>I'm having about the same problem with a Thinkpad 760xd that I bought
    >>used for about $150.
    >>
    >>I'd buy a new one before I got a professional to open it and I don't
    >>want to open it myself.
    >>
    >>Are there anythings I can look for short of opening the laptop?
    >>
    >>In my case, the wires inside of the machine (male) that connect to the
    >>adapter connection seem to suddenly lose contact after a few hours.
    >>
    >>When the contact goes there are three things that have restored it for
    >>a few hours.
    >>
    >>1) I can take a plastic knife and apply gentle pressure on the four
    >>pins. I keep applying them in different directions until it starts
    >>charging.
    >>
    >>2) I can twist the AC adapter plug in the back of the Thinkpad.
    >>Sometimes it starts charging
    >>
    >>3) I can put the laptop screen-down with the part with the connector
    >>face up. I have not done this for any length of time, but it has
    >>worked for a short time.
    >>
    >>I'd rather not throw the whole machine out because of this. But its
    >>just not worth either paying a pro or really learning enough about
    >>electronics myself to actually dismantle and reassemble a laptop.
    >>
    >>I'd appreciate any easy external solutions that might spring to your
    >>mind.
    >>
    >>Thanks.
    >

    > I experienced the same thing and it got worse. I got no contact at the
    > moment. Too bad, I like my laptop :-(
    >
    > Hope you find a solution.
    >
    > Mileve

    Its usually dry solder joints caused by the constant twisting of the
    socket on the circuit board as you plug the AC adaptor in (or bump it,
    etc). There is no way to repair it short of dismantling the laptop, the
    faulty connection is inside.

    I cant understand why you would not pay a professional a few dollars
    when the alternative is throwing away a perfectly good laptop that would
    have cost you some thousands of dollars??
    Even having a go yourself at the risk of damaging the laptop further
    would make more sense surely?
    Graeme

    primatech <graeme@NOSPAMprimatechnologies.com.au> wrote in message news:<mWc_c.18803$D7.1144@news-server.bigpond.net.au>...
    > Mil?ve wrote:
    > > quickquestion@mailinator.com (Quick Question) wrote in message news:<a6701912.0409022351.10753723@posting.google.com>...

    > >>I'm having about the same problem with a Thinkpad 760xd that I bought
    > >>used for about $150.
    > >>
    > >>I'd buy a new one before I got a professional to open it and I don't
    > >>want to open it myself.
    > >>
    > >>Are there anythings I can look for short of opening the laptop?
    > >>
    > >>In my case, the wires inside of the machine (male) that connect to the
    > >>adapter connection seem to suddenly lose contact after a few hours.
    > >>
    > >>When the contact goes there are three things that have restored it for
    > >>a few hours.
    > >>
    > >>1) I can take a plastic knife and apply gentle pressure on the four
    > >>pins. I keep applying them in different directions until it starts
    > >>charging.
    > >>
    > >>2) I can twist the AC adapter plug in the back of the Thinkpad.
    > >>Sometimes it starts charging
    > >>
    > >>3) I can put the laptop screen-down with the part with the connector
    > >>face up. I have not done this for any length of time, but it has
    > >>worked for a short time.
    > >>
    > >>I'd rather not throw the whole machine out because of this. But its
    > >>just not worth either paying a pro or really learning enough about
    > >>electronics myself to actually dismantle and reassemble a laptop.
    > >>
    > >>I'd appreciate any easy external solutions that might spring to your
    > >>mind.
    > >>
    > >>Thanks.
    > >

    > > I experienced the same thing and it got worse. I got no contact at the
    > > moment. Too bad, I like my laptop :-(
    > >
    > > Hope you find a solution.
    > >
    > > Mileve
    >

    > Its usually dry solder joints caused by the constant twisting of the
    > socket on the circuit board as you plug the AC adaptor in (or bump it,
    > etc). There is no way to repair it short of dismantling the laptop, the
    > faulty connection is inside.
    >
    > I cant understand why you would not pay a professional a few dollars
    > when the alternative is throwing away a perfectly good laptop that would
    > have cost you some thousands of dollars??
    > Even having a go yourself at the risk of damaging the laptop further
    > would make more sense surely?
    > Graeme

    I think we all say that we will throw it out the window... but in
    reality, we always end up having it repaired ;-)
    Mileve

    The correct term is "cold" solder joint, not "dry" solder joint.

    It occures because the joint experienced motion at the very moment that
    the hot solder was changing from liquid to solid (at about 350 degrees F).

    Certainly, the solder joint can also be subsequently damaged by
    mechanical stress breaking the joint as well, but that's a different
    phenomena, although the end result would be much the same.

    mileve@hotmail.com (Mil?ve) wrote:
    >I have a Dell Inspiron 2650. The AC Adapter is not charging the
    >battery. I believe it's a loose pin in the jack or possibly a loose
    >wire btwn the jack & motherboard.

    There's a thread on this in the Dell forums, though I can't be certain
    it's for that particular laptop. Basically the power connector is on
    a circuit board finger that cracks, and can be a real paint to repair.
    One solution is to get a port replicator or docking station, which
    will feed power to the laptop thru the docking connector, bypassing
    the broken power connector.

    William P.N. Smith wrote in message news:<v6okj01knqh00s4mvl8c82cnconv6pagsn@4ax.com>...
    > mileve@hotmail.com (Mil?ve) wrote:
    > >I have a Dell Inspiron 2650. The AC Adapter is not charging the
    > >battery. I believe it's a loose pin in the jack or possibly a loose
    > >wire btwn the jack & motherboard.
    >
    > There's a thread on this in the Dell forums, though I can't be certain
    > it's for that particular laptop. Basically the power connector is on
    > a circuit board finger that cracks, and can be a real paint to repair.
    > One solution is to get a port replicator or docking station, which
    > will feed power to the laptop thru the docking connector, bypassing
    > the broken power connector.

    I have to admit I didn't know about the Dell forum.
    Dell laptops don't have space for docking ports and I guess a docking
    port cost as much as a motherboard :-( It also makes the laptop bulky.
    It's a good idea though...
    I have looked everywhere on the net for a picture of the pieces I need
    (namely the motherboard) and I could not find anything. There is only
    the Dell site with pieces by the number but no actual pictures. Maybe
    those are idustry secrets or maybe I am not looking properly... any
    idea?

    Mileve

    primatech <graeme@NOSPAMprimatechnologies.com.au> wrote in message news:<JsRZc.17512$D7.6111@news-server.bigpond.net.au>...
    > Mil?ve wrote:
    > > primatech <graeme@NOSPAMprimatechnologies.com.au> wrote in message news:<ns7Zc.14965$D7.14800@news-server.bigpond.net.au>...

    > >>I repair this type of problem all the time.
    > >>Yes when I worked for Compaq that was the story...new system board.
    > >>However it usually can be fixed.
    > >>I'd charge you about $150 for the whole job.
    > >>If you do it yourself you will have to take great care. The laptop will
    > >>have to be completely dismantled and its hard enough when you know what
    > >>you are doing to get it back with all the screws in the right places.
    > >>Take measures to eliminate static from the area that you work. Don't
    > >>scuff across the carpet then handle circuit boards.
    > >>Better still get it to someone who knows what they are doing.
    > >

    > > Thanks Primatech!
    > > Wish I could walk the laptop over to you! Any chance you live in
    > > South/Cwntral Ontario, Canada? This baby will have to go to a pro.
    > > You're absolutly right about the dismentlement! I guess if I start to
    > > take it apart I might as well write it off...
    > >
    > > Mileve
    > Could be a bit of a trip....
    > I'm in Brisbane Australia.
    > Phone around...eventually you will find someone local :-)

    Heeesh! A bit of a trip for sure. what? 11 hours?
    When I'm on the net I usually take account of time zones but forget
    about physical distance.

    Mileve

Laptops Dell Inspiron