Solved

How hot is too hot?

Phenom 2 X4 965 at 114F

Asus M4A79XTD EVO AT 98F

Cooler Master HAF 922

No games, OC. Are these acceptable temps?
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about tomshardware
  1. 114F = 46C
    98F = 37C

    Is that idle temp or load temp? If it's idle, I would suggest getting a better CPU cooler.
  2. Also what are your ambient temps too?
  3. You dont say how much overclocked you are, but they seem reasonable to me, are you on stock cooler? whats your gfx temps like? how many fans in there etc?
  4. runswindows95 said:
    114F = 46C
    98F = 37C

    Is that idle temp or load temp? If it's idle, I would suggest getting a better CPU cooler.



    I do not OC or play games. There are 3 fans in addition to the ps fan and the fan on the radeon 5770

    Those are idle temps.2 browsers and 4 programs running but not under load.

    But, the unit is in a desk and the ambient temp in the desk is 34 c .

    My concern is whether or not the current temps will cause damage now or in the long term.

    I can always remove the computer from the desk, if necessary.
  5. Sorry, I misread your Op as no games, Oc, instead of the intended no games no Oc :) if theyre your temps with 2 browsers and 4 programs running id say your fine, just make sure your pc can breathe under the desk ok, plenty of fresh cold air in, and room for the hot air to exhaust, pc's die over time anyway, but yours isnt going to die from overheating
  6. Best answer
    nojob said:
    I do not OC or play games. There are 3 fans in addition to the ps fan and the fan on the radeon 5770

    Those are idle temps.2 browsers and 4 programs running but not under load.

    But, the unit is in a desk and the ambient temp in the desk is 34 c .

    My concern is whether or not the current temps will cause damage now or in the long term.

    I can always remove the computer from the desk, if necessary.


    The temperatures you have given us are more than acceptable. Be assured also that AMD and intel have measures in place since pentium4/ Athlon 64 era that prevent damage to the CPU caused by overheating. The CPU will either throttle itself or shut down the system if it gets too hot. This throttle point is well over 100C with modern processors. Although, it is better to run it below 60C (that's my comfort anyway). Some people get confused and think that the Tcase max is the same as the core temperature maximum.

    However, it would be nice if we could know the load temperatures also. run a program called prime95 (google it) and HWmonitor. Prime95 will load the CPU and it will hit the highest temperature it can reach. HWmonitor is a great program for reading that temperature. You'll be looking at the "core" temperatures.
  7. Motopsychojdn said:
    Sorry, I misread your Op as no games, Oc, instead of the intended no games no Oc :) if theyre your temps with 2 browsers and 4 programs running id say your fine, just make sure your pc can breathe under the desk ok, plenty of fresh cold air in, and room for the hot air to exhaust, pc's die over time anyway, but yours isnt going to die from overheating


    There is plenty of air. I didn't give enough info initially.

    Thanks. I appreciate the help but, how hot is too hot for the cpu and mobo?
  8. As Enzo said, Try to keep things under 60' but if you google your processor, you should find failure stats
  9. enzo matrix said:
    The temperatures you have given us are more than acceptable. Be assured also that AMD and intel have measures in place since pentium4/ Athlon 64 era that prevent damage to the CPU caused by overheating. The CPU will either throttle itself or shut down the system if it gets too hot. This throttle point is well over 100C with modern processors. Although, it is better to run it below 60C (that's my comfort anyway). Some people get confused and think that the Tcase max is the same as the core temperature maximum.

    However, it would be nice if we could know the load temperatures also. run a program called prime95 (google it) and HWmonitor. Prime95 will load the CPU and it will hit the highest temperature it can reach. HWmonitor is a great program for reading that temperature. You'll be looking at the "core" temperatures.


    Thanks. This was the info that I wanted. The HW monitor does the job. I'll run the Prime 95 when I get the time.
  10. Best answer selected by nojob.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Asus Cooler Master Phenom Games Evo