How hot is too hot?

nojob

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Phenom 2 X4 965 at 114F

Asus M4A79XTD EVO AT 98F

Cooler Master HAF 922

No games, OC. Are these acceptable temps?

Solution

The temperatures you have given us are more than acceptable. Be assured also that AMD and intel have measures in place since pentium4/ Athlon 64 era that prevent damage to the CPU caused by overheating. The CPU will either throttle itself or shut down the system if it gets too hot. This throttle point is well over 100C with modern...

nojob

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009

I do not OC or play games. There are 3 fans in addition to the ps fan and the fan on the radeon 5770

Those are idle temps.2 browsers and 4 programs running but not under load.

But, the unit is in a desk and the ambient temp in the desk is 34 c .

My concern is whether or not the current temps will cause damage now or in the long term.

I can always remove the computer from the desk, if necessary.

Sorry, I misread your Op as no games, Oc, instead of the intended no games no Oc :) if theyre your temps with 2 browsers and 4 programs running id say your fine, just make sure your pc can breathe under the desk ok, plenty of fresh cold air in, and room for the hot air to exhaust, pc's die over time anyway, but yours isnt going to die from overheating

The temperatures you have given us are more than acceptable. Be assured also that AMD and intel have measures in place since pentium4/ Athlon 64 era that prevent damage to the CPU caused by overheating. The CPU will either throttle itself or shut down the system if it gets too hot. This throttle point is well over 100C with modern processors. Although, it is better to run it below 60C (that's my comfort anyway). Some people get confused and think that the Tcase max is the same as the core temperature maximum.

However, it would be nice if we could know the load temperatures also. run a program called prime95 (google it) and HWmonitor. Prime95 will load the CPU and it will hit the highest temperature it can reach. HWmonitor is a great program for reading that temperature. You'll be looking at the "core" temperatures.

Solution

nojob

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009

There is plenty of air. I didn't give enough info initially.

Thanks. I appreciate the help but, how hot is too hot for the cpu and mobo?

nojob

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009

Thanks. This was the info that I wanted. The HW monitor does the job. I'll run the Prime 95 when I get the time.