Corsair Force 3 On SATA II ?

pratmodi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2012
my motherboard only has sata 2 and an eport.but i read about excellent reviews about force 3 and i m getting 120 gb force 3 .

can it deliver me the best performnnace on sata 2 ? like just 14 seconds boot and great speed ?

or it would be a huge difference ? what about eport ?

darkling

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
A good SATA III SSD with take full advantage of the SATA II port. Go for it, just make sure to install it on the Intel port of your mobo with the latest Intel AHCI drivers and of course enable AHCI in the bios.

pratmodi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2012

i dont know what u talking about , mine has got SLI motherboard and an AMD phenom ii x4 960t on it

tomatthe

Distinguished
I would highly recommend reading through the corsair forums before purchasing that drive. I went through 3 of them, and 2 performance 3 drives in less then a years time. My opinion is obviously very low of their drives, but feel like I've got very good reasoning for it to be.

If you read these forums you will see most everyone recommends Intel / Samsung drives repeatedly over any of the other manufactures.

hefox

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
I have two Corsair Force 3 and most of the time it's fine. The one from my laptop works just fine but the one from my desktop freezes from time to time. Rarely windows freezes and I get the blue screen. After restart it doesn't detect the drive anymore so I have to turn off my pc. After turning back on the system, my motherboard detects the ssd and everything works fine. It doesn't work to update the firmware so I will have to format the disk and then try to do it which I don't really want to do it right now. So if you buy this SSD, make sure you update the firmware first before installing windows.

hefox

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
I forgot the specify that my SSDs are running on SATA2 and are pretty fast so it's nothing to worry about that. Don't think that having it on SATA3, it will make any visible difference.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED

are you on the most recent firmware? i use a vertex 3 with the same sandforce controller you have (i think.) i used to suffer daily bluescreens but its all smooth sailing on the most recent firmware

hefox

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
No, I'm not. Like I said, I couldn't update the firmware. It doesn't work. So the next thing to do, it will be to format the drive and have a clean update which I don't want to do right now. I might try to use Norton Ghost to make an image of the disk and then format and try updating it.

hefox

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
@Neon: Did the secure erase, try to update, it says done but when I check the version, it's still 1.2 instead of 1.3.3 (new version). Checked and bios and windows it's on AHCI. Seems like the SSD doesn't want to be updated. :)
@Pratmodi: My suggestion is to buy the Samsung SSD. Too many problems and stress with the Sandforce SSDs.