Sign in with
Your question

How to find out my motherboard specifications

Last response: in Motherboards
November 16, 2010 1:09:27 PM

Hello people,

This is my first post here, so I hope I do not come off as annoying; anyway, I have a problem- I have googled for a lot of time, but could not find a way to find out my motherboard specifications without breaking open my computer.

I need to find this out, as I am looking to purchas a nVidia GTS 250, which requires two PCI-E 2.0 x16 slots. My current card (geforce g100) uses only one, so I hope I will be able to fit this one in.

The current system specifications I know are:

AMD Phenom X4 quad @ 2.33GHZ
4GB RAM
640GB HDD
Windows Vista x32 Home Edition
512 nVidia geforce g100 graphics card, hoping to upgrade to GTS 250.

Also, if anyone could tell me what nVidia hybribpower is, and if it's essential to me being able to run this card?

Thanks in advance!

-Hugh
a b V Motherboard
November 16, 2010 1:26:23 PM

Everest Home Edition - will give you all the information you could need about your system ( for expansion slots look under Motherboard - motherboard selection and it will give you all of the Motherboard physical properties.

That said --- the Nvidia 250 is a dual slot card meaning it takes up the space of 2 slots in the back panel due to the fan -- but only needs a single slot to be placed into the MOBO not 2 PCI-e slots !!! and the PCI-e 2.0 spec is backward compatible so the card will work in a PCI-e 1.0 version slot also so you should have no problem using it on your MOBO (as long as you have a powersupply with enough power to run the card.
November 16, 2010 1:44:03 PM

Ok, right, so I should be able to run this card on my system based on my specifications; will this Everest thing show me what power supply I have?

Sorry for being such a total newb, but I have one more query- how can I upgrade my PSU? Do I need to buy a new PSU device or can I just change it via software?
Related resources
a c 715 V Motherboard
November 16, 2010 1:48:14 PM

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :) 

I recommend the small App CPUz, it is very simple and an excellent tool for identifying all your hardware - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html {see Mainboard tab}.

Afterwards, post the MOBO or Model {Dell/HP/etc} if purchased.
a c 715 V Motherboard
November 16, 2010 1:52:36 PM

The PSU is not identified on any App; you'll need to open the case and take a look. The size {Wattage} is the most important in determining 'need' requirements for CPU, HDD, GPU, and OC.

Upgrading a PSU is pretty simple: 4 screws, and unplug then reverse the process. 10 minutes is typical time - NOTE ALL of the connections!
a b V Motherboard
November 16, 2010 2:02:20 PM

Hugh G Wreckshon said:
Ok, right, so I should be able to run this card on my system based on my specifications; will this Everest thing show me what power supply I have?

Sorry for being such a total newb, but I have one more query- how can I upgrade my PSU? Do I need to buy a new PSU device or can I just change it via software?

No the only ways to find out the Power supply info is either by looking at the manufacturers information or by opening the case and looking at the label attached to the powersupply. For example this label from an ANTEC PSU :

Notice it is a 550W PSU but the label is a bit confusing if you look it has 3 +12v rails with a rating of 22 - 22 and 25 Amps which if you combine them would mean 69 Amps and since Wattage = Amps times Voltage it would suggest that it could handle 69x12 = 828Watts of +12v power which is not correct -- instead notice the small print that states the +12v1 +12V2 +12V3 Max load is 384W or 384/12 = 32Amps !!! SO the label is misleading like many Power supplies and you need to look at the actual Max load it can handle on the +12v and not just add the rails (since each rail can handle more by itself but the combined output is what matters for running your system !) --- If you had this PSU you would have a PSU rated for 550W that can provide 32Amps on the +12v rails and since for instance the PALIT GTS250 card is specd to need
Quote:
Minimum 450W or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating of 24A)

So would be fine to run the system with a Palit GTS250 !!
November 16, 2010 2:14:45 PM

Ok, thanks for all your help guys!

If there is any PSU you can recommend that I buy, so I can run my games optimally, I would appreciate it.
November 16, 2010 4:56:45 PM

Ok, sorry once more for being a newb, but I am on the Everest software, and I cannot find where my free PCI slots are. :S

Any help on where to go to find this?

Thanks in advance
a c 715 V Motherboard
November 16, 2010 5:45:03 PM

You need to look to see what are free, but to determine what 'type' they are requires a little research. Please post you MOBO model.
November 16, 2010 5:48:40 PM

Err... All I see is the motherboard ID and the name says: "Unknown".

Also, on the back of my PC it says "Rating: 220-230VAC 2A 50HZ". What does this mean?
November 16, 2010 5:50:13 PM

Also, next to my power connector it also says 230VAC.
a b V Motherboard
November 16, 2010 7:18:51 PM

Hugh G Wreckshon said:
Ok, sorry once more for being a newb, but I am on the Everest software, and I cannot find where my free PCI slots are. :S

Any help on where to go to find this?

Thanks in advance

Here is a photo that might help notice on my system I have 2 PCI slots - 3 Pci-e x1 slots and 2 PCI-e x16 slots on my MOBO as listed - to get to that info expand the Motherboard tree and select Motherboard to open that window !

a c 715 V Motherboard
November 16, 2010 7:25:19 PM

You still need to look up the version of PCIe anyway, so the OEM site I 'trust.' I'm not badmouthing the App, just my Missouri {show me} mind set.

BTW - since the OP has the Gefore G100; the Geforce GTS 250 will indeed work fine, it 'uses' 2 slots but connects only to (1) slot. I was waiting around for the MOBO only to determine it the CPU+MOBO are going to bottleneck the GTS 250...
November 17, 2010 7:24:49 AM

I'm not sure I have the power supply or connectors for the GTS 250; I will check, but if I don't, I will probably get a GT 240 or GT 430, depending on which one will fit.

I'm not on my home PC right now, but I will try to get the motherboard by doing the instructions above, thanks! :) 
November 17, 2010 4:40:50 PM

The GT 240 has a double the memory bandwidth, and has better performance ratings
http://www.nvidia.com/content/HelpMeChoose/fx2/HelpMeCh...

Compare them both, and tell me which one overall is better- I realise that the GT 430 doesn't disappear when I click "Play latest games at extreme HD resolutions (above 1920x1200).

Help me choose, please!

Also, will post the motherboard soon, still not at home PC :( 
a c 715 V Motherboard
November 17, 2010 5:12:12 PM

Per 'your' choices GT 430 vs GTS 250 - Per 'my' choice GTS 450; DirectX 11 support and worth the 14% price difference. I play DirectX 11 + PhysX games.

Prices:
GT 430 ~ $70 ; DirectX 11
GTS 250 ~ $105 ; DirectX 10
GTS 450 ~ $120 ; DirectX 11

I'd hope the GTS will beat a GPU that 1/3 less in cost; likewise the GTS 450 10% more cost $15 more and offers DirectX 11 and is the next generation.
November 17, 2010 5:22:01 PM

Another one I am looking at: ATI HD 5750.

Is that one^^ better than any previously mentioned?
November 17, 2010 5:23:07 PM

Sorry, didn't see previous post! My bad, seems like it is.
November 17, 2010 5:26:12 PM

Sorry for the triple post, but I just need a card that will run CoD: Blackops at a decent framerate and resolution; now I can run it at 800x600 at around 20FPS; same with GTAIV, except that one is even worse.

Is it really worth Direct X 11?

Thanks in advance :) 
a c 715 V Motherboard
November 17, 2010 5:42:45 PM

Q - Do you use Photoshop or Premiere? <or> any 'intense' app(s)?
November 17, 2010 5:50:29 PM

I use photoshop and sony vegas, and they both currently run fine. That's it, really.
Could you tell me what the optimum card would be for my specs? (Specs shown in first post)

Thanks
a c 715 V Motherboard
November 17, 2010 7:24:34 PM

Those 2 Apps aren't buddies so I would refer to the Sony Vegas site to find which GPUs accelerate the rendering. As I recall Sony is ATI-centric and Adobe I know is nVidia-centric... Therefore, duh!

Accelerate Photoshop {tips} http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404439.html
a b V Motherboard
November 17, 2010 8:18:32 PM

Hugh G Wreckshon said:
Hello people,

This is my first post here, so I hope I do not come off as annoying; anyway, I have a problem- I have googled for a lot of time, but could not find a way to find out my motherboard specifications without breaking open my computer.

I need to find this out, as I am looking to purchas a nVidia GTS 250, which requires two PCI-E 2.0 x16 slots. My current card (geforce g100) uses only one, so I hope I will be able to fit this one in.

4GB RAM
640GB HDD

Also, if anyone could tell me what nVidia hybribpower is, and if it's essential to me being able to run this card?

Thanks in advance!

-Hugh

Nvidia Hybridpower;; Being able to run 2 video cards 1 main,and 2 the other for Physics only,supposed to improve games, looks good on paper..

Your motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H ,manual available online, in PDF, for your reading pleasure...:) 
a c 715 V Motherboard
November 17, 2010 9:20:08 PM

^ How did you pull that MOBO {rabbit} out of your backside {GA-MA790GPT-UD3H} the OP 'still' has no/zip idea what MOBO they have??!!
a b V Motherboard
November 17, 2010 11:22:08 PM

jaquith said:
^ How did you pull that MOBO {rabbit} out of your backside {GA-MA790GPT-UD3H} the OP 'still' has no/zip idea what MOBO they have??!!

He got that from my screenshot I posted giving an example of everest and where to find the info ! -- must have gotten confused on who the OP was.
a c 715 V Motherboard
November 17, 2010 11:48:14 PM

Trust me - I understand...
November 20, 2010 8:40:05 AM

Ok, so, here's what is happening.

I'm not sure whether my PC can hold a dual slot card as I have no idea how much space it will take- although, I could see that if I stacked my card on top of itself, I could probably fit another on in there.

My current PSU is 250W- which is quite crap, seeing as I am running a quad core processor, and a graphics card with minimum of 300W recommended.

I'm buying a new PSU with 600W of power and 6pin connectors for PCI-E, and a nvidia GTS 450.

Thanks for all your help!
November 20, 2010 10:07:35 AM

Seen someone with the same computer using a nvidia GTS 250, which is also dual slot, so I guess I am safe.
a c 715 V Motherboard
November 20, 2010 11:01:00 AM

I said before the GPU itself uses (1) slot but the I/O uses (2). 600W is recommended, but I would look at the Corsair TX650W {Japanese capacitors, Single rail, Protection for over/under voltage & fault}.

The GTS is almost at the top of the list before your Quad Core bottlenecks the GPU.
November 21, 2010 7:38:40 PM

Wait, sorry, my quad core bottlenecks the GPU?

What does that mean? (Yes, I am quite new to this so I don't currently understand jargon).

Also, I found out that the PCI-E slot is the thing at the bottom, the gray one- I thought it was the little gray one, which incidentally turned out to be a DVI port (/facepalm).

I can't really afford a corsair right now- looking on ebuyer I got this http://www.ebuyer.com/product/219540 for what I reckon is a decent deal. Tell me what you think of it, please (as you can see, it comes with 1x 6pin connector).

Thanks to all that helped! I also found out that I have 3 PCI-E slots free on my MoBo, so it's fine for fitting a dual slot graphics card.

This should be enough to run most of these games that are ports from PS3 and Xbox, I hope, right? As I own a few games that are poor ports of console games (GTA IV, CoD MW2 and BlackOps and a few others that I can't remember).

Give me your opinions, please, and thanks to all that have contributed! :) 
November 21, 2010 7:42:57 PM

jaquith said:
I said before the GPU itself uses (1) slot but the I/O uses (2). 600W is recommended, but I would look at the Corsair TX650W {Japanese capacitors, Single rail, Protection for over/under voltage & fault}.

The GTS is almost at the top of the list before your Quad Core bottlenecks the GPU.

On the nVidia site 400W is recommended. This is the exact card I am getting: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-palit-gts-450-sonic-...
November 21, 2010 7:45:26 PM

Triple post, again, sorry, but 1 more question- 6pin power connectors- does this mean I must connect a cable to my graphics card from my PSU?
a c 715 V Motherboard
November 21, 2010 7:56:55 PM

There's been a lot of confusion with this post, someone accidentally posted by mistake 'your' MOBO which is still a mystery. No, if you indeed have a AMD Phenom X4 then you're OK. At this point everything sees a little odd.

HOWEVER, it would be a 'joy' to know your MOBO as I stated before -> "identifying all your hardware - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html {see Mainboard tab}."

Sure you can play Games. but not Console games from your {PS3, Xbox, etc}.

RE: PSU unless it has ALL the specs -> "{Japanese capacitors, Single Rail, under/over voltage & fault protection}" then you'll not get a thumbs-up from me. The Xenta 600W doesn't have these features.
November 21, 2010 8:30:12 PM

I've tried using the everest thing, and it says my motherboard is unspecified. It has no name, just a >20 character key, so I'm confused. This PSU should be good, as it has all the recommended specs. Also, I cannot afford the specs you are asking- I can only get the bare minimum to run this. I will, once I save enough, upgrade further, and I will then be back here :) 
a c 715 V Motherboard
November 21, 2010 8:53:51 PM

I did not recommend Everest, I recommended CPUz; try it tiny App and 'it is' the standard.

The Xenta 600W doesn't have these features; I looked -> {Japanese capacitors, Single Rail, under/over voltage & fault protection} so unless I those features I won't use it. Show me the specs with Japanese Capacitors and Fault Protection.

Those spec are to 'save' your expensive system from having a burnt-out MOBO/CPU/GPU. I see cheap PSUs were folks like you saved $20 to later cost $800 in PSU failure damage. I don't care what PSU you use, it's not my system I have to worry about.

I 'get' the stubborn thing - it's your rig and do it your way.
November 22, 2010 3:25:57 PM

As aforementioned, I have no money. The only way I managed to afford what I have now is by working double shifts waiting at a restaurant. I'll look soon to upgrade to those specs, but now, for at least another 6-12 months, I cannot.

I haven't claimed that is has those specs, if I had you would have all the right in the world to call me an idiot.

I hope I haven't angered anyone in some way :o 
November 22, 2010 3:30:42 PM

Also, I just feel like an arse. Browsing on ebuyer, I found an identical PSU, but this one with 700W of power, for £2 more. :( 
a c 715 V Motherboard
November 22, 2010 3:41:32 PM

Angry, no - frustrated yes. I hate guessing and especially long threads filled with speculation. All the components are 'hinged' off the MOBO, especially RAM/CPU/Compatibility/etc.

Errors that hurt only you are created on speculations.
November 22, 2010 4:00:37 PM

Ok, I see.

I'll stay away from the 700W one, as I might have heating issues, as I have no actual cooling aside from the fans.

Anyway, I'll save for a corsair PSU and a cooling system.
March 28, 2013 4:47:32 PM

Hugh G Wreckshon said:
Hello people,

4GB RAM
640GB HDD

Thanks in advance!

-Hugh

!