Major Capacity discrepancy

TBone528

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
Hello,Hello,
I have a Seagate ST3500641AS Hard Drive. I have a major discrepancy which I would like assistance. The label on drive (as well as online Seagate data ) states that this is a 500GB Capacity. My PC only shows a 130GB Drive . That's obviously a MASSIVE difference. Is this a simple issue to remedy??
Thanks,
Wayne

What kind of PC is it in?

Older PC, pre-2003(?), didn't support hard drives larger than 127GB, or 48-bit LBA.

Or, if your are running Windows XP pre-SP1, it's not supported either.

But you show 130GB, so that may not be it.

Do what aicom said.

** Edit **

Another thread in here had a similar problem. They ran the "Disk Tools" for their drive. Try SeaTools, run a diagnostic, or whatever, on the drive.

game junky

Distinguished

+1 - you can typically expect roughly 20 % reduction in capacity from what's stated on the label and what's available after creating the disk partition.

Win7 install size is going to vary depending on the version but 20 GB is more than enough space for the OS and stock program files. No matter how you dice it, something is off. If disk mgmt doesn't show unpartitioned space or a separate partition from a previous install that wasn't formatted then I would nuke it and start from scratch.