CPU upgrade help

Hello all
I have an HP laptop, a zx5060us with the following CPU:
Intel Pentium 4 Mobile processor - 3.06GHz
(Northwood, 533MHz front side bus, 512KB Level-2 cache, Socket 478)
Without HyperThreading capability

I want to upgrade it, something with HT and 1Mb of cache, and after some
research falled into this one:
Pentium 4E 3.2GHz 1MB Level-2, Socket 478, 800FSB, with HyperThreading.

I know they are both 478 socket, but I wonder if the laptop will work with
it ?
My main concer is not the money, but is the trying of this new CPU and
damaging the laptop.
Can anyone please help ?
Many thanks

JC
8 answers Last reply
More about upgrade help

    You must be kidding. If you have the much money to throw around for nothing,
    just buy a new laptop with the CPU you want.
    "JC" <.@.somehwere> wrote in message
    > Hello all
    > I have an HP laptop, a zx5060us with the following CPU:
    > Intel Pentium 4 Mobile processor - 3.06GHz
    > (Northwood, 533MHz front side bus, 512KB Level-2 cache, Socket 478)
    > Without HyperThreading capability
    >
    > I want to upgrade it, something with HT and 1Mb of cache, and after some
    > research falled into this one:
    > Pentium 4E 3.2GHz 1MB Level-2, Socket 478, 800FSB, with HyperThreading.
    >
    > I know they are both 478 socket, but I wonder if the laptop will work with
    > it ?
    > My main concer is not the money, but is the trying of this new CPU and
    > damaging the laptop.
    > Can anyone please help ?
    > Many thanks
    >
    > JC

    Well not exactly, I can "afford" to try a new CPU for £140 but not a new
    laptop for over £1500 , so, if anyone could try to actually help, I would
    really apreciate that.
    Thanks
    JC

    JC wrote:

    > Well not exactly, I can "afford" to try a new CPU for £140 but not a new
    > laptop for over £1500 , so, if anyone could try to actually help, I would
    > really apreciate that.
    > Thanks
    > JC
    >
    > "Bruce Markowitz" <scosgt@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>You must be kidding. If you have the much money to throw around for
    >>nothing,
    >>just buy a new laptop with the CPU you want.
    >>"JC" <.@.somehwere> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hello all
    >>>I have an HP laptop, a zx5060us with the following CPU:
    >>>Intel Pentium 4 Mobile processor - 3.06GHz
    >>>(Northwood, 533MHz front side bus, 512KB Level-2 cache, Socket 478)
    >>>Without HyperThreading capability
    >>>
    >>>I want to upgrade it, something with HT and 1Mb of cache, and after some
    >>>research falled into this one:
    >>>Pentium 4E 3.2GHz 1MB Level-2, Socket 478, 800FSB, with HyperThreading.
    >>>
    >>>I know they are both 478 socket, but I wonder if the laptop will work
    >>>with
    >>>it ?
    >>>My main concer is not the money, but is the trying of this new CPU and
    >>>damaging the laptop.
    >>>Can anyone please help ?
    >>>Many thanks
    >>>
    >>>JC

    I guess what Bruce tried to say is, assuming the new chip works in your
    machine (and I guess it will), the improvement in performance is
    probably going to be very marginal while the heat issue is not going to
    improve.
    One further point is, is the CPU on your machine really user removable?

    The way you spend your money is your privilege of course but I do not
    think this is a wise move.

    Let us know what you decide ... and the results!

    --
    John Doue

    Yes John, I opened the laptop already and I can change the CPU, there is
    only a bottom cover to remove and the heatink and dual fan cooling system is
    reveleaed, I can even see the CPU if looking sideways.
    This machine is mostly used at home and I was given a new Hitachi 7200rpm
    hard drive, so I thought that coupled with a new CPU with HT, 1Mb cache and
    such would give some performance boost to compensate for the "slow" ATI 9200
    (64Mb integrated memory) video performance while playing games.

    JC

    "John Doue" <notwobe@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > I guess what Bruce tried to say is, assuming the new chip works in your
    > machine (and I guess it will), the improvement in performance is probably
    > going to be very marginal while the heat issue is not going to improve.
    > One further point is, is the CPU on your machine really user removable?
    >
    > The way you spend your money is your privilege of course but I do not
    > think this is a wise move.
    >
    > Let us know what you decide ... and the results!
    >
    > --
    > John Doue

    "JC" <.@.somehwere> wrote in message
    > Hello all
    > I have an HP laptop, a zx5060us with the following CPU:
    > Intel Pentium 4 Mobile processor - 3.06GHz
    > (Northwood, 533MHz front side bus, 512KB Level-2 cache, Socket 478)
    > Without HyperThreading capability
    >
    > I want to upgrade it, something with HT and 1Mb of cache, and after some
    > research falled into this one:
    > Pentium 4E 3.2GHz 1MB Level-2, Socket 478, 800FSB, with HyperThreading.
    >
    > I know they are both 478 socket, but I wonder if the laptop will work with
    > it ?
    > My main concer is not the money, but is the trying of this new CPU and
    > damaging the laptop.
    > Can anyone please help ?
    > Many thanks
    >
    > JC

    FSB533 -> FSB800
    DDR266/333 -> DDR400
    Reasonable temperature -> Melting your laptop

    To go from 3.06 to 3.2GHz is probably the single most pointless upgrade to a
    laptop possible. First of all it barely stands any chance of working at all,
    as I very much doubt your laptop can support prescott CPUs through hardware.

    Also the prescott CPUs run HOT, do you really want to not be able to touch
    the laptop due to excessive heat?

    And then the 1Mb of cache- apparently it does bugger all for performance,
    the Northwood P4s (P4c) have been know to out perform the P4Es.

    Invest in something more worthwhile for the laptop, e.g more RAM, faster
    harddisk etc, you would probably notice more of a difference from these
    components.

    JC wrote:

    > I have an HP laptop, a zx5060us with the following CPU:
    > Intel Pentium 4 Mobile processor - 3.06GHz
    > (Northwood, 533MHz front side bus, 512KB Level-2 cache, Socket 478)
    > Without HyperThreading capability
    >
    > I want to upgrade it, something with HT and 1Mb of cache, and after
    > some research falled into this one:
    > Pentium 4E 3.2GHz 1MB Level-2, Socket 478, 800FSB, with
    > HyperThreading.

    So You want to replace the Mobile processor with a desktop CPU.

    > I know they are both 478 socket, but I wonder if the laptop will work
    > with it ?
    > My main concer is not the money, but is the trying of this new CPU and
    > damaging the laptop.
    > Can anyone please help ?

    Well, the P4 and P4-M both use the mPGA478 socket, so the CPU would
    basically fit. However, Your laptop currently uses a CPU with FSB533 while
    Your planned replacement uses FSB800. You have to verify if Your chipset
    supports that FSB speed, and if Your notebook also does. Of course Your BIOS
    also has to support the P4EE which is very unlikely. Another problem will be
    heat, since the heatsink and cooling system certainly deal with the
    additional heat generated by the P4EE. So it's very likely that this will
    result in the CPU throtteling down for protection against overheating, which
    leads to a very poor performance.

    I'd recommend against this upgrade. The listed problems aside, You certainly
    won't gain much performance improvement...

    Benjamin

    Thank you all for your answers, I will then for now upgrade the hard drive,
    it is a 4200rpm I have now and I was given a 7200rpm, might makes things
    load a little faster. Cannot upgrade RAM I think since I already have 1Gb.
    Again, thank you all for your time and advise.

    JC

    > Thank you all for your answers, I will then for now upgrade the hard
    > drive, it is a 4200rpm I have now and I was given a 7200rpm, might makes
    > things load a little faster. Cannot upgrade RAM I think since I already
    > have 1Gb.
    > Again, thank you all for your time and advise.
    >
    > JC

    I should imagine that would be a huge increase in performance for loading
    windows, apps etc, much more noticable than I guess a ~200MHz CPU upgrade
    would have been.

Laptops CPUs Socket