Limited User Accounts but with Admin. restrictions. Is It ..

Hi there,

I have service engineers on the road with lap top computers. I wish them to
have limited accounts, but some of the software they need to run must have
admin rights. I do not want them to have admin rights as rubbish then gets
installed on these and thus increases the risks of a virus etc. getting on to
our serve when they come into the office. How can I give them the access but
still have limited accounts. Any help would be greatley appreciated.
6 answers Last reply
More about limited user accounts admin restrictions

    If running XP Home you need to do this from safe mode...But I take it
    your running pro.

    In admin mode find the program folder (or program files within the folder,
    if you know which ones may be modified at runtime).......right click
    properties
    > security. Under "Group or user names" add your users and below under
    permissions give the user the level of access you require.

    Regards
    DaViD

    Paul Carlisle wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I have service engineers on the road with lap top computers. I wish
    > them to have limited accounts, but some of the software they need to
    > run must have admin rights. I do not want them to have admin rights
    > as rubbish then gets installed on these and thus increases the risks
    > of a virus etc. getting on to our serve when they come into the
    > office. How can I give them the access but still have limited
    > accounts. Any help would be greatley appreciated.

    Hi David,

    I am running Xp Pro SP2. When I right click on the folder the only tabs I
    get is general, sharing & customise. Sharing will only allow me to share
    these in the shared folder, which is no good.

    This is where I get confused. I was ablt to do what you suggested in win2K.
    Any additional ideas.

    Paul................
    "DaViD" wrote:

    > If running XP Home you need to do this from safe mode...But I take it
    > your running pro.
    >
    > In admin mode find the program folder (or program files within the folder,
    > if you know which ones may be modified at runtime).......right click
    > properties
    > > security. Under "Group or user names" add your users and below under
    > permissions give the user the level of access you require.
    >
    > Regards
    > DaViD
    >

    > Paul Carlisle wrote:
    > > Hi there,
    > >
    > > I have service engineers on the road with lap top computers. I wish
    > > them to have limited accounts, but some of the software they need to
    > > run must have admin rights. I do not want them to have admin rights
    > > as rubbish then gets installed on these and thus increases the risks
    > > of a virus etc. getting on to our serve when they come into the
    > > office. How can I give them the access but still have limited
    > > accounts. Any help would be greatley appreciated.

    If you in admin mode you can , or should be able to access the security
    setting as stated below or via sharing & security which should lead you
    to the same with a right click of the mouse............

    To get the lab back go to control panel folder options > view and go to the
    bottom
    of the list and untick Use simple file staring (recommeded) > apply.

    The securty tab will then appear

    DaViD

    Paul Carlisle wrote:
    > Hi David,
    >
    > I am running Xp Pro SP2. When I right click on the folder the only
    > tabs I get is general, sharing & customise. Sharing will only allow
    > me to share these in the shared folder, which is no good.
    >
    > This is where I get confused. I was ablt to do what you suggested in
    > win2K. Any additional ideas.
    >
    > Paul................
    > "DaViD" wrote:
    >
    >> If running XP Home you need to do this from safe mode...But I take it
    >> your running pro.
    >>
    >> In admin mode find the program folder (or program files within the
    >> folder, if you know which ones may be modified at
    >> runtime).......right click properties
    >>> security. Under "Group or user names" add your users and below under
    >> permissions give the user the level of access you require.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> DaViD
    >>

    >> Paul Carlisle wrote:
    >>> Hi there,
    >>>
    >>> I have service engineers on the road with lap top computers. I wish
    >>> them to have limited accounts, but some of the software they need to
    >>> run must have admin rights. I do not want them to have admin rights
    >>> as rubbish then gets installed on these and thus increases the risks
    >>> of a virus etc. getting on to our serve when they come into the
    >>> office. How can I give them the access but still have limited
    >>> accounts. Any help would be greatley appreciated.

    You need to understand that most applications were not designed for a
    multi-user environment or even a limited user environment. Often, the only
    way to deal with this is to temporarily change the account from Limited to
    Administrator, install the application in that user account after which you
    can return the account to its Limited status.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Paul Carlisle" <PaulCarlisle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi David,
    >
    > I am running Xp Pro SP2. When I right click on the folder the only tabs I
    > get is general, sharing & customise. Sharing will only allow me to share
    > these in the shared folder, which is no good.
    >
    > This is where I get confused. I was ablt to do what you suggested in
    > win2K.
    > Any additional ideas.
    >
    > Paul................
    > "DaViD" wrote:
    >
    >> If running XP Home you need to do this from safe mode...But I take it
    >> your running pro.
    >>
    >> In admin mode find the program folder (or program files within the
    >> folder,
    >> if you know which ones may be modified at runtime).......right click
    >> properties
    >> > security. Under "Group or user names" add your users and below under
    >> permissions give the user the level of access you require.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> DaViD
    >>

    >> Paul Carlisle wrote:
    >> > Hi there,
    >> >
    >> > I have service engineers on the road with lap top computers. I wish
    >> > them to have limited accounts, but some of the software they need to
    >> > run must have admin rights. I do not want them to have admin rights
    >> > as rubbish then gets installed on these and thus increases the risks
    >> > of a virus etc. getting on to our serve when they come into the
    >> > office. How can I give them the access but still have limited
    >> > accounts. Any help would be greatley appreciated.

    See above replies.plz

    Michael Solomon (MS-MVP) wrote:
    > You need to understand that most applications were not designed for a
    > multi-user environment or even a limited user environment. Often,
    > the only way to deal with this is to temporarily change the account
    > from Limited to Administrator, install the application in that user
    > account after which you can return the account to its Limited status.
    >

    > "Paul Carlisle" <PaulCarlisle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:F06EC5F9-60CB-42EA-B0A2-3EAEE9481984@microsoft.com...
    >> Hi David,
    >>
    >> I am running Xp Pro SP2. When I right click on the folder the only
    >> tabs I get is general, sharing & customise. Sharing will only allow
    >> me to share these in the shared folder, which is no good.
    >>
    >> This is where I get confused. I was ablt to do what you suggested in
    >> win2K.
    >> Any additional ideas.
    >>
    >> Paul................
    >> "DaViD" wrote:
    >>
    >>> If running XP Home you need to do this from safe mode...But I take
    >>> it your running pro.
    >>>
    >>> In admin mode find the program folder (or program files within the
    >>> folder,
    >>> if you know which ones may be modified at runtime).......right click
    >>> properties
    >>> permissions give the user the level of access you require.
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>> DaViD

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    My reply was not to you it was to the OP. I should also have pointed out to
    him, the reason he can't find the security tab is apparently he has Simple
    File Sharing turned on. Something you failed to note to him. To Paul, you
    can turn off Simple File Sharing by opening Explorer, go to Tools, select
    Folder Options, go to the View tab, scroll to the bottom of the list and
    remove the check from Use Simple File sharing and click apply.

    David, while the rest of your points are well taken, depending upon the
    application, often changes on the security tab won't make a difference, the
    application will still remain inaccessible. Hence, usually, the easiest way
    to resolve the issue is to temporarily change the user account to
    Administrator, install the application in that user account and then return
    the account to its limited status. Occasionally, the application simply
    won't run from a limited account but for the most part, I've found once the
    application is specifically installed in the user account under admin, once
    returned to its limited status it will continue to be accessible under
    limited status.

    --

    "DaViD" <dbedford@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
    > See above replies.plz
    >
    > Michael Solomon (MS-MVP) wrote:
    >> You need to understand that most applications were not designed for a
    >> multi-user environment or even a limited user environment. Often,
    >> the only way to deal with this is to temporarily change the account
    >> from Limited to Administrator, install the application in that user
    >> account after which you can return the account to its Limited status.
    >>

    >> "Paul Carlisle" <PaulCarlisle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message news:F06EC5F9-60CB-42EA-B0A2-3EAEE9481984@microsoft.com...
    >>> Hi David,
    >>>
    >>> I am running Xp Pro SP2. When I right click on the folder the only
    >>> tabs I get is general, sharing & customise. Sharing will only allow
    >>> me to share these in the shared folder, which is no good.
    >>>
    >>> This is where I get confused. I was ablt to do what you suggested in
    >>> win2K.
    >>> Any additional ideas.

Configuration User Accounts Windows XP