Sign in with
Your question

Edit 1: Thermal Pads Question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 3, 2010 8:11:28 PM

I am replacing the TIM with Arctic Cooling MX-2 on my GTX 295 GPU's.

I want to have Thermal Pads on hand if I need them. Here is what I found and are the Thermal Pads supposed to be 15mils or 20mils thick? Any advise. Thanks

Here's a link to what I found.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10223/thr-75/3M_8815_...
a c 172 U Graphics card
March 3, 2010 9:08:57 PM

I would continue to use the stock pads. The best ones are the gewy pads (mushy and don't stick) since they are mostly compound in a fabric.
m
l
March 3, 2010 10:08:20 PM

^^ i second his advice, I had to replace them on a 8800GTX with a reference cooler, they were generic asian brand they worked "OK" but my 88's pcb had warped and the vram pads kept the heatsink from fully contacting the GPU even thought they were what .5mm ...scary i hit 110c and freaked the frag out!
luckily the 88's a fracken beast and was non worse for wear. had to trim them to basically nothing for the sink to fit flush on the gpu, temps back to normal and the vram is staying fairly cool with the bobo pads...

yeah stick to the originals unless hey have rotted or something.
m
l
Related resources
March 3, 2010 10:36:58 PM

I haven't open the GPU as of yet so I don't know. I just want to be prepared to replace them if I need to. I will check with EVGA and see if they offer/sell replacement T-Pads. This is all new to me. I don't want to screw it up.
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
March 4, 2010 12:01:20 AM

GenXer said:
I haven't open the GPU as of yet so I don't know. I just want to be prepared to replace them if I need to. I will check with EVGA and see if they offer/sell replacement T-Pads. This is all new to me. I don't want to screw it up.

They typically don't dry out and do last for ages, the ones on my vintage 6800gt are still good after what 5-6 years.
m
l
March 4, 2010 12:37:06 AM

I have found an unlimited amount of articles and technical information on Thermal Paste/Grease. However, they really don't get that deep into detailed specifics concerning Thermal Pads, brands, thickness, where to buy, etc...I hope this thread helps to bring out more details. Thanks
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
March 4, 2010 7:33:48 AM

Most people i have discussed this with advocate throwing away the pads and using paste. In fact some people i know will buy a brand new GPU and dismantle it and claen the stock paste off throw away the pads and apply paste as standard before even using the card.

Mactronix
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
March 4, 2010 11:48:24 AM

mactronix said:
Most people i have discussed this with advocate throwing away the pads and using paste. In fact some people i know will buy a brand new GPU and dismantle it and claen the stock paste off throw away the pads and apply paste as standard before even using the card.

Mactronix

Only ever use compound ware the cooler makes full contact with the item in question. Lets say a vram chip or a mosfet there must be no gap no matter how small. I got a collections of cards got about 30 including a 8800gtx as well.
m
l
!