I5-2500k has mind of it's own

AusQB

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
So for the last year or so I have been running my system with no issues with the CPU set to jump up to 4.5 GHz under load and sit back at about 1.6 GHz when idle. Now all of a sudden (may have started earlier but only noticed it now) it's just sitting in the middle fluctuating between ~3.2 GHz and ~3.7 GHz (bus speed between ~95 MHz and ~105 MHz, and voltage between ~0.990 V and ~1.2 V).

Is it possible that some BIOS settings have reverted, or has the ambient heat possibly fried it a little (summer in Australia, but I usually have the air conditioning on). Current idle temperate is ~34 C.

I would take some time to look into it further, perhaps even go back into the BIOS, but it's late here so I was hoping someone could just give me some advice in the meantime.

Solution
Why don't you try to set it up so that it stays at a constant 4.5Ghz? I bet that'll fix the problem although you won't be able to take advantage of the energy savings. Personally I much rather my chip staying at 4.7Ghz rather than constantly jumping up and down. Too me that would put too much stress on the CPU. Just my opinion.

ericjohn004

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
Why don't you try to set it up so that it stays at a constant 4.5Ghz? I bet that'll fix the problem although you won't be able to take advantage of the energy savings. Personally I much rather my chip staying at 4.7Ghz rather than constantly jumping up and down. Too me that would put too much stress on the CPU. Just my opinion.

Solution

AusQB

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011

But any idea as to why the overclock settings seemingly just ceased to be recognized?

AusQB

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Well I just updated the BIOS and went back in to find the Turbo Boost ratios set back to default. I changed each core multiplier to 45 and now it sits happily at 4.5 GHz with no evident changes in idle temperature.