Solved

CPU Heat Sink suggestions

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Heat
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
May 26, 2010 8:40:11 PM

I am planning on putting together a new system and I need to make a decision on the heat sink.
This seems to be the final sticking point.

I've narrowed down the MB to the Asus P6X58D or the P6X58D-E. The -e variant is
about $70.+ cheaper and all it really seems to lack is the 2nd NIC. I have to do more
reading on the differences, though.

I'm pretty much going with the i7-930. That seems to be the sweet spot regarding
power vs. price. I was going to overclock it, but not much more than 3 GHz (it
comes in at 2.8).

Now I need the heat sink. I've always shied away from liquid coolers for obvious reasons.
I've had two friends who had them leak and trash their systems. I do like a quiet system
though and am giving serious thought to the Corsair CWCH50. It's a self contained CPU
cooler. I'd use the push / pull setup with two fans on the back exhaust:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It has gotten great reviews. I'm still a little skittish over the liquid part, though.

If I don't go in this direction, I'd probably go with the Zalman 9700. There's two things
with that, though: 1. It has an LED and I'm not big on case mods (I rather dislike them).
2. This thing is BIG...and heavy. I'm not a big overclocker, but I did want to do that some
and I don't know how well this will keep the CPU cool.

I'd appreciate any suggestions and feedback.
Thanks in advance.

More about : cpu heat sink suggestions

Related resources
May 28, 2010 1:06:10 AM

WR2 said:
No doubt you've seen the Legitreviews coverage of the Corsair H50 cooler

For choices of CPU cooler we usually send people over to FrostyTech and have them look over the reviews there.

I did read this. This is what got me thinking about reconsidering a liquid cooled heat sink, as long as it's self contained. The weirdness was that "reverse flow" layout, where you pull air from the back and blow it through the front. That's why I decided to go with the push/pull, so the air is sucked in the front (over the hard drives) and blown out the back.
m
l
May 28, 2010 1:11:41 AM

ct1615 said:
people really like the CM 212+; makes little noise, cools great, and is cheap

Do you own this? If so, I'd like to ask a question: In the past I've gotten Zalman heat sinks. One of the reasons I like
the style of the 9700 is it blows air down onto the heat dissipation fins (what are those technically called, anyway).

The side benefit of that setup is it also blows air across the motherboard in general. If the MB is laid out right, air
will blow across the Northbridge.

With this layout, the heat from the CPU is transferred up and then the 120mm fan blows parallel to the MB, not
down on it. What are your thoughts on this?
m
l

Best solution

a c 203 à CPUs
May 28, 2010 3:35:58 AM

I think the term you are looking for is VRM heatsinks. The P6X58 series MBs have those larger heatsinks and heatpipe VRM cooling going on. It looks like even modest airflow inside the case would do a decent job cooling the chipset and power regulation components.

Have you picked out your case? It might be a better idea to opt for a quiet case and a less expensive cooler since the 'overall quiet' factor is influenced by more than just the CPU cooler itself.
Both the NH-D14 and Corsair CWCH50 seem a bit overkill considering your very modest overclocking goals.

May 30, 2010 11:40:42 PM

WR2 said:
I think the term you are looking for is VRM heatsinks. The P6X58 series MBs have those larger heatsinks and heatpipe VRM cooling going on. It looks like even modest airflow inside the case would do a decent job cooling the chipset and power regulation components.

Have you picked out your case? It might be a better idea to opt for a quiet case and a less expensive cooler since the 'overall quiet' factor is influenced by more than just the CPU cooler itself.
Both the NH-D14 and Corsair CWCH50 seem a bit overkill considering your very modest overclocking goals.

For my case, I'm leaning very heavily toward Lian-Li PC-K7B

I like this case because:
1. I've built with Lian-Li before and like their case
2. It has 2 120mm front fans and 1 120mm output fan. The bigger fans can generally run slower, thus less noise
3. It has a place for 5 HDs and the front fans blow right over the HDs

I built a machine with an Antec solo case (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
) a while back. It was supposed to be ultra quiet. It was generally quiet, but the case felt like it didn't
have enough airflow in it. The temps are OK, though.
m
l
June 10, 2010 3:34:01 AM

Best answer selected by flavius64.
m
l
!