I5-3570k running hot at 4,5ghz

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
Hi.

I have followed this tutorial to OC my CPU:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1198504/complete-overclocking-guide-sandy-bridge-ivy-bridge-asrock-edition

My speccs are in my sig.

The only difference between the tutorial and what i am doing is that I dropped my LLC to level 5(0% compensation) because level 3 was getting me high vcore and high temps even at turbo offset +0,004v.

I was now at turbo off +0,051v and it was running stable for one hour with prime95 blend test but I had 1 core going 83ºC.The other cores were ~77ºC save for core #3 that was at 71ºC max.
Saturday I left the PC running on LLC 5 and +0,020v turbo for 5 hour and got no BSOD or prime 95/explorer/drivers/etc crashes,now it crashes fast at that offset.

I found that my cpu behaviour was odd and send my computer to the store so they figure it out.It is not normal for i5-3570k to read 40ºc at bios after being turned off for 10h.It was also odd to see temps going 80% off the time going ~72ºC max and then jump to high ~70's then drop down again.My room temps is very low,the floor is made off granite and just standing on it makes my legs go cold.Also the air coming from the ehxaust fans was cold.I am only using my fans at 9v through the fan controller on the phantom 410 to keep noise low.The only time hot air came out of the ehxaust fans was after the 5 hour prime 95 and even then it was barely above normal room temp.

To note that my vcore was at about 1,256 to 1,288 although it was 1,270 90% of the time.

What can I do to stablize it at lower voltage?I am guessing I could get it better if my vcore wanst going up and down on lower vcores so LLC seems that it could help.

Furthermore IBT at standard passed well with vcore much lower than this,even at extreme it wouldnt crash,just generate too much heat.

Anyone can lend me a hand or find me a decent OC guide?I have no idea what to try besides clearing CMOS setting the mult to 45 and work with fixed vcore which I was hoping not to do because I dont want to spend unnecessary electricity and shorten the cpu lifespan.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:Seems my sig is not appearing so here are my speccs:

I5-3570k @ 3.4ghz(OCing soon)//Noctua D14 HSF//ASRock Z77 Extreme 4//NZXT Phantom 410 case//8Gb G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage//MSI GTX670 PE-OC//XFX XXX 750W//HDD Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm// 2 x Coolink Swif2 120mm//3 x Antec TwoCool 140mm//2x NZXT FN120RB

Solution
I tend to agree with above poster - but keep in mind it's just an opinion. Lots of people use the offset method and like it - personally trying to balance that many voltages makes my head spin. I will say you should really know what you are doing though, because I don't fear saving electricity, I fear that the offset voltage might actually let your VCORE spike TOO HIGH if you don't adjust your settings carefully...

Yes your Ivy Bridge will run freaking hot at 4.5GHZ. How could you run it with less voltage? Maybe get a better chip, yours sounds about average or maybe a little better. For most people 4.5GHZ takes a pretty huge voltage jump to get stable.

Mid 80's is not unheard of for stress testing. Keep in mind that TJMAX is 105. If...

ericjohn004

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
I would clear your cmos and do that. I hate when a computer is constantly changing it's behavior due to what your doing. I much rather it stay in the same spot 24/7. To me it's putting unnecessary stress on your CPU. I see why other people think differently but that just my 2 cents. Plus it's so easy to do it that way. Just set your multiplier and up your vcore. And BTW, your electricity bill won't be any higher AT ALL. Maybe a 1 dollar increase. When your messing with that little electricity it's a non factor.

Adroid

Distinguished
I tend to agree with above poster - but keep in mind it's just an opinion. Lots of people use the offset method and like it - personally trying to balance that many voltages makes my head spin. I will say you should really know what you are doing though, because I don't fear saving electricity, I fear that the offset voltage might actually let your VCORE spike TOO HIGH if you don't adjust your settings carefully...

Yes your Ivy Bridge will run freaking hot at 4.5GHZ. How could you run it with less voltage? Maybe get a better chip, yours sounds about average or maybe a little better. For most people 4.5GHZ takes a pretty huge voltage jump to get stable.

Mid 80's is not unheard of for stress testing. Keep in mind that TJMAX is 105. If it was completely stable @ 83C during stress test - I'd be happy with that - because it should never reach that high during normal usage. 40C in BIOS does sound just a little high, but not outrageous for 4.5GHZ.

Heck my 3570K hit mid 80C during P95 @ 4.4GHZ with 1.265V, but I also have a cheaper cooler than you.

Next thing you do is go to windows => event logger=> custom => administrative and find out if you have WHEA errors and if your OC is as stable as you think.

Solution

In my opinion, use fixed.

On ASrock boards the Load Line calibration is swithced, LVL 1 is the least compensation.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2280653

I have that exact board and have my LLC set to LVL1.

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
Novuake what bios are you using?I am using 2.70 because the "stock" 1.20 was causing sata controller problems so I flashed it.
I'll test it out as the guy on the link tested,LLC 1 and record voltage and LLC 5 and do the same.
For the record you are recomending using 0% compensation right?

I am also using 2.70, had USB3 issues. LOL

As for LLC, I prefer lvl2, less stressing on the mobo. But its a matter of preference. Either 1 or 2 is all good.

http://www.thinkcomputers.org/intel-ivy-bridge-overclocking-guide/

There is a guide I found useful. But despite what they suggest, I still prefer fixed voltage. I like control over the chip when I OC.

EDIT : Just noticed now i said lvl1 at first, LOL meant lvl2