Video Editing Rig. please review what I have selected.

viziony

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
I have been trolling around this form for quite some time and I have learned a lot. I read through a lot of informative threads on building a rig for video editing. I am in the same category as the rest of the threads. I have selected majority of the components already. I just had a question for the gpu selection, does the gpu play a huge role when it comes time to render and compile the video?

I am working with AVCHD files from my Sony HDR-SR11, using Pinnacle Studio 14. I have been using Pinnacle studio 12 for the past year.

Win 7 32bit
Quad Core 6600
4gb
Nvidia 512mb video card(forgot the model, probably 3 yrs old now)
64gb SSD (O/S)
320gb, 500gb, 1tb storage drives

Over Clock - I would like to OC the i7 730 chip to perhaps 4.0Ghz if possible.
CF / SLI - I am not sure if this is required for video editing. I would like to play Crysis in full resolution, but not truly a gamer on the pc anymore. Still gaming on PS3 though, mostly COD MW2 :)

I would like to perhaps try Adobe Premiere since that is what most users on this forum are using. Would I benefit more from a certain model of video card?

Here is what I have selected

Asus p6x58D - $310
Intel Core i7 930 - $295
Cooler Master Haf 932 - $180 inc s/h
Haf 922 - $90 free s/h only today.
I think I may just go with the Haf 922 to save on $$ and don't really need the BIG tower
Corsair CMPSU-750TX - $110
G.Skill 6GB (3x2gb) 1600 - $ 183
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB in Raid 0 - $180
64GB Crucial SSD -- O/S and apps (already own)

GPU Please recommend

With this new setup, would I expect to be churning out videos (10 min clips) and also full home movies in HD format in blazing speeds?

I appreciate you taking time to review my specs and perhaps recommendations.

RAM: Corsair XMS3 3x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $175. Some cheaper, faster sticks.

To be honest, I'm never sure on the GPU for video editing builds. I do know that nVidia tends to be better with non-gaming functions, but can't guarantee it. I would search around for benchmarks for the program(s) you use to verify which is better. I typically suggest getting a workstation GPU for non-gaming builds, but since it's not as common I can't really say what models would be better. You might have some better luck checking out some professional video editing technology sites for information.