Intel Centrino and AMD

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
September 1, 2004 9:17:16 AM

I am totally lost among the various names of Intel and AMD processors
and wonder if AMD has the equivalent of Intel's Centrino. In other
words, for those who want this new power saving machines, what does AMD
offers and which brands of laptops has them in their machines. Can
anyone clarify this?

Thanks
--
John Doue

More about : intel centrino amd

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 1, 2004 9:17:17 AM

John Doue wrote:
> I am totally lost among the various names of Intel and AMD processors
> and wonder if AMD has the equivalent of Intel's Centrino. In other
> words, for those who want this new power saving machines, what does AMD
> offers and which brands of laptops has them in their machines. Can
> anyone clarify this?

The AMD equivalent in terms of electrical consumption/battery life is
the Low-Voltage Mobile Athlon XP-M. I haven't seen a lot of recent info
on these chips, but this May 2003 review at Toms Hardware is helpful:

http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/20030507/

I'm curious about what the current offerings are as well.
--
-- Howard Chu
Chief Architect, Symas Corp. Director, Highland Sun

"John Doue" <notwobe@yahoo.com> wrote in message
|I am totally lost among the various names of Intel and AMD processors
| and wonder if AMD has the equivalent of Intel's Centrino. In other
| words, for those who want this new power saving machines, what does AMD
| offers and which brands of laptops has them in their machines. Can
| anyone clarify this?
|
| Thanks
| --
| John Doue

"Centrino" is not a processor, it's a combination of three technologies (A
Pentium-M Processor, an Intel 855 chipset and Intel 802.11b integrated
wireless) under the same hood. Any AMD processor based system that
approximates those same features could be considered "equivalent" to
Centrino. (sort of apples and oranges but you get the picture)

You may find the following resources useful;

http://www.upenn.edu/computing/provider/docs/centrinopr...
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/...

I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 1, 2004 3:43:11 PM

HillBillyBuddhist wrote:
> "John Doue" <notwobe@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> |I am totally lost among the various names of Intel and AMD processors
> | and wonder if AMD has the equivalent of Intel's Centrino. In other
> | words, for those who want this new power saving machines, what does AMD
> | offers and which brands of laptops has them in their machines. Can
> | anyone clarify this?
> |
> | Thanks
> | --
> | John Doue
>
> "Centrino" is not a processor, it's a combination of three technologies (A
> Pentium-M Processor, an Intel 855 chipset and Intel 802.11b integrated
> wireless) under the same hood. Any AMD processor based system that
> approximates those same features could be considered "equivalent" to
> Centrino. (sort of apples and oranges but you get the picture)
>
> You may find the following resources useful;
>
> http://www.upenn.edu/computing/provider/docs/centrinopr...
> http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/...

Thanks to you and to Howard for this information and for most
interesting links.

Regards

--
John Doue