Sign in with
Your question

Installing Windows 7 on SSD

Last response: in Storage
April 12, 2012 11:34:09 PM

Im planning to get an 60gb SSD for Windows 7, right now I have a HDD with window install but I want my computer to perform faster, so i decide to get a SSD and install windows 7 on the SSD. But Im not sure how the process is? Do I just install the window on the SSD and choose the SSD as the first thing in the boot list? how to delete window on the current HDD and Do I have to reinstall anything?

More about : installing windows ssd

a b $ Windows 7
a c 265 G Storage
April 12, 2012 11:56:56 PM

Put the SSD in and unplug the current HDD, install windows on SSD and reinstall all drivers. Reconnect the HDD and you can now delete the old windows install (or keep it as backup). Win 7 is more forgiving than older versions and might find all your programs on the HDD but if it does not you will have to reinstall them.
m
l
April 13, 2012 12:04:12 AM

So incase it doesn't find my program on the HDD should i just keep it?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
a c 265 G Storage
April 13, 2012 12:07:46 AM

I left out, make sure your SATA is set to ACHI mode! I personally would go ahead and reformat the HDD and reinstall everything, that would mean no conflicts and PC's always run best on a fresh install (less bloatware).
m
l
April 13, 2012 12:11:34 AM

so i have to reformat my hdd, and for the sata mode is it only for the ssd right?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 265 G Storage
April 13, 2012 12:24:45 AM

It is for the SATA controller in BIOS, if the HDD is SATA it will benefit from it as well!
You do not have to reformat, it is what I would do to end up with a cleaner PC!
m
l
April 13, 2012 12:31:53 AM

kk, Im too lazy to reinstall all the program and games, so i will change it for both ssd and hdd
m
l
April 13, 2012 12:55:43 AM

rolli59 said:
It is for the SATA controller in BIOS, if the HDD is SATA it will benefit from it as well!
You do not have to reformat, it is what I would do to end up with a cleaner PC!

thanks
m
l
!