glennc7000

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
Hello,
I have an Acer Aspire SA80 Desktop with the Celeron 3.06 Ghz processor. On the motherboard it is marked 661GX-M7. What I would like to do is upgrade the processor but I'm getting confused as some places list the sockets as a 775, LGA775 or a Socket 478. Is there a way to tell for sure without disassembling the computer and if so, what would be a upgrade Intel chip that would be the most compatible.
Thanks for any help.
Glenn

glennc7000

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
Hello Timop,
Used that tool and it says an LGA 775 Socket. Great thanks much.

Hello Henry Chinaski
I am going to open it up again and check on its comparison to the board you pointed me to. Thanks for your reply and help.
I am in the process of building a computer, but this one is in pristine condition, works pretty good with XP Pro and I always keep my last computer to play around with. I've seen some Pentium chips that should speed it up some. How much of a gain do you think I'll get?

Does anyone know the correct way to locate a Pentium chip that will fit the LGA 775 socket and has 533 FSB or compatible?

Glenn

glennc7000

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
Hello Timop,
Thats great information, I appreciate it kind Sir. Is there an easy way to describe not too big a difference.
I have 2 Gbytes memory. Things that I would like would be GIMP and OpenOffice to load faster. I can't grasp in my mind a little difference, if you can understand that.
Thanks for your help. Don't want to spend much, but $20 isn't a problem.
Glenn

glennc7000

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
Hello again,
My Acer says it only takes 2 GB. It is currently 166 MHz, would there be much apparent difference going to 400 MHz. Can anyone confirm that the board will only handle 2 GBs??
Thanks again for your assistance.
Glenn