New mobo won't allow HDD to boot windows

mnmtb

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
Hello,
I just installed a new Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H with a Phenom II 965 since my old mobo died. I have just the old SATA hard drive with W7 installed and a DVD with the HP Windows 7 upgrade CD. This is/was an HP pavillion and upgraded to W7 through the HP upgrade disc.

When I start up, POST goes OK. Then attempts to load Windows but stops at the circle of dots. Then goes into the options to restart Windows or repair. Repair finds nothing.

I then attached an old IDE drive with Windows XP and I could boot Win X in Safe mode.

I then attached a SATA drive from a laptop with W& and it booted into W7 and began to install drivers.

I set up the old HDD as an external drive, connected it to my laptop and it reads fine.

I have the HDD in SATA0, and DVD in SATA 1. CMOS indicates HDD is IDE Channel 2 master and DVD is IDE channel 3 master.

Whew. Thanks for any help

Wamphryi

Distinguished
You have to do a fresh install as your current install will be configured for the previous board. An HP setup wants the HP machine it was married too. A new type of Board demands a fresh install especially as Win7 marries to the Hardware it is installed on. This is part of the anti piracy aspect of Win 7.