Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help Overclocking my new system

Last response: in Overclocking
January 22, 2013 8:40:15 PM

I'm in the process of switching from the MSI z77a-g41 to the ASRock z77 Extreme 4 (for obvious overclocking reasons).

Here are my specs:

-i7 3770K
-Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (//www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683510309...)
-G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)
-Kingston Hyper X 120GB SSD (for OS and virus protection) (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)
-Crucial M4 512GB SSD for games and Photoshop, etc... (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)
-Seagate 2T for everything else (photos, video, music)
-Zotac GTX 680, 4GB (Amp edition) (http://www.todaystechonline.com/gaming/pr-zotac-announc...)
-Either onboard sound or Zonar DX (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

Looking for the best overclocking solution for CPU and Ram as well as any other tips/tricks for the rest of my hardware on the new ASRock board

Thanks in advance...

More about : overclocking system

a b K Overclocking
January 23, 2013 12:00:10 AM

"Looking for the best overclocking solution"

If I understand you correctly my answer would be bios and it should be the only solution for overclocking. Also, don't overclock the ram there is no need for it. You will only see rapidly diminishing returns and instability.

As far as monitoring programs go use: cpu-z, gpu-z, HWmonitor, msi afterburner. There are more but that's what google is for.

Testing programs: Prime95, intel burn test, LinX, and OCCT. Obviously there are more out there but if you want them just use everyones best friend google.
m
l
January 23, 2013 3:22:25 PM

No offense, but when it comes to technical matters like overclocking then I don't find google to be the best source of information, Don't get me wrong, it will lead you to a plethora of sites, but I'm looking for definitive information based on my setup. Thanks for the info on monitoring programs I have downloaded all of them and will definitely use them.

Any other suggestions for my setup. Also, on another forum someone suggested that moving from the MSI to the ASRock was not an upgrade but a side move and that the extreme4 was not that good of a board - something about LLC problems. Can anyone offer an opinion about this, as well?
m
l
Related resources
January 23, 2013 3:36:24 PM

No offense, but you are speaking as if there is one accepted overclock for a given processor/mobo combo, for ram, etc.

There is not. Every system overclocks differently, even with identical hardware. There is no magic bullet/set of numbers for you to plug in that will magically give you the best OC performance with zero time investment.

Overclocking is a trial and error process to find what your system is capable, and takes a lot of time to tweak to get maximum performance while maintaining long term stability.

Google is a fine source of information on overclocking, and the steps you should take (and the order you should take them in) to overclock your system. If you aren't prepared to spend the time to do it, don't get mad at other people that are only trying to be helpful without telling you something that you will take out of context and fry your hardware with.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 23, 2013 3:56:40 PM

there should be an informational thread on OC'ing ur CPU on Tom's. I found one for my CPU (i7-2600K)
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 23, 2013 4:04:09 PM

In OC'ing, basically, what you will be doing is upping the clock multiplier. Mine is currently at 46X with 100 ratio, meaning that my CPU is at 4.6GHz. However, simply raising that multiplier doesn't make a perfect OC, cause your CPU will need more voltage to the Vcore to remain stable. however, if you give it too much voltage, you will burn out ur CPU and/or shorten the life of your CPU. So, you want to find out what people say about the Vcore of ur CPU, then up the multiplier little by little with as low of a Vcore as possible to maintain CPU life. You will want to monitor heat, turn off a few settings and what not, which is why you should look for a manual on OC'ing and read it all the way, then find the specifics of your CPU. There should be an informational on OC'ing ur CPU or the i5 ivy-bridge with unlocked multiplier.
m
l
January 23, 2013 4:11:03 PM

welshac said:
No offense, but you are speaking as if there is one accepted overclock for a given processor/mobo combo, for ram, etc.

There is not. Every system overclocks differently, even with identical hardware. There is no magic bullet/set of numbers for you to plug in that will magically give you the best OC performance with zero time investment.

Overclocking is a trial and error process to find what your system is capable, and takes a lot of time to tweak to get maximum performance while maintaining long term stability.

Google is a fine source of information on overclocking, and the steps you should take (and the order you should take them in) to overclock your system. If you aren't prepared to spend the time to do it, don't get mad at other people that are only trying to be helpful without telling you something that you will take out of context and fry your hardware with.

My bad...

I am not angry or unappreciative of the advice given from mlcaouette. I am certainly prepared to put in the time to tweak - after all that is half the fun (the other half is enjoying the improved gaming experience).

I was not aware that giving specific specs could not render some information on bios settings, etc...

It makes sense what you say about not being able to get "definitive" information, I guess what I am looking for is a starting point. The basic bios settings that I should start with, without having to comb through hundreds of posts...

Thanks for your help.
m
l
January 23, 2013 4:13:19 PM

ittimjones said:
In OC'ing, basically, what you will be doing is upping the clock multiplier. Mine is currently at 46X with 100 ratio, meaning that my CPU is at 4.6GHz. However, simply raising that multiplier doesn't make a perfect OC, cause your CPU will need more voltage to the Vcore to remain stable. however, if you give it too much voltage, you will burn out ur CPU and/or shorten the life of your CPU. So, you want to find out what people say about the Vcore of ur CPU, then up the multiplier little by little with as low of a Vcore as possible to maintain CPU life. You will want to monitor heat, turn off a few settings and what not, which is why you should look for a manual on OC'ing and read it all the way, then find the specifics of your CPU. There should be an informational on OC'ing ur CPU or the i5 ivy-bridge with unlocked multiplier.

This is the kind of info I am looking for...

Thanks
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
January 23, 2013 9:48:03 PM

The info ittimjones gave you could have easily been found via google/searching threads within toms.

No one is going to want to sit down a write a guide just for you and your setup. Almost all modern motherboards will offer similar available settings for overclocking. Knowing what all your board is capable of is your job to find out (learn your bios!).

The Asrork board should be a better OC'er than that msi board given the vrm heatsinks and likely a beefier VRM.

This ought to get you started:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1198504/complete-overclockin...

^Found via google...
January 24, 2013 1:38:39 AM

Best answer selected by jconway1968.
m
l
!