Attempting to OS SSD from flash drive, windows error

Etamu

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
Good evening!

I recently bought a 80gb 320 series intel SSD and am trying to OS it and use it as a primary program/boot drive while directing all big files / extras to my 1 tb WD CB HDD.

I've followed the instructions listed on multiple sites about Os'ing a flash drive (15 gb) and have confirmed with a booter program and my roomies computer that it's completely bootable.

When I boot from the USB with ONLY the SSD connected it will properly go through the "loading windows files" black screen and then take about...45 minutes to load up to the "choose what you want to install" screen, when I get here I can select to perform a clean install on the SSD (has been formatted before boot of course, not partitioned) and click "next". I get this message following "Windows could not locate a usable partition, please select another device and try again."

This screen has the options to delete/format a drive and I believe it also has the option to create partitions on it, i've selected my entire 80gb hd as the volume of it when it originally wouldn't work without selecting any specific volume (defaulted to all available).

I'm not exactly sure what would cause this, I attempted to create another volume, delete the current multiple times and kept re-creating the error, if anyone could provide some insight i'd be very appreciate, would love to get this puppy going and see the speed of my first SSD.

Thanks!

When I install my OS (Windows 7 Ultimate) to my SSD (in RAID 0) from my flash drive (install DVD copied to USB drive, set as bootable), the install takes about 2 minutes until the first reboot. So something is wrong with yours.

What is your PC setup: CPU, mobo, RAM, HDD.

But like rolli59 said, set SATA ports to ACHI first.

But it reads like a bad USB drive. How long did it take to copy the WIndows DVD to the USB, and set it bootable? Could be your USB port. Try a different one, like on the back panel.

Etamu

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
I apologize, I do not know how to set the controller to AHCI, I believe this option came up originally when I installed my mobo and when I said yes it booted through the windows logo into a blue-screen, only fixed by reverting it.

I have a Gigabyte UD3H-B3 mobo, 8 gigs of gskill ram, i5 2500k 2nd gen, no video card currently, 1 tb WD CB 7200 rpm HDD unplugged during boot.

It took about 10 minutes to format the USB so that it would be bootable, I tested the boot capability within an in-os tester and it seemed to boot okay but it just took forever.

If someone could provide a little info on how to set to AHCI without blue-screening , i'm guessing it's in the advanced options somewhere?

Appreciate the responses so far : )

Etamu

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012

That definitely seems like something that could cause a problem, I did some research on exactly what that feature does.

It even recommends enabling this feature before you install an operating system.

Am I supposed to disable this feature after the OS is installed? It also mentions in a few articles that it may be necessary to install some AHCI drivers along with the OS, do you think this necessary for windows 7 installation?

p_bug

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

you can change the settings for the sata controller in the bios of your mobo.
But before doing it, read this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

This works.I have done it.So go ahead.

hope it helps.

Etamu

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012

Enabled AHCI and It installed windows in about...5 minutes, zero problems, had some issues getting my drivers installed because I don't have a CD-rom yet and couldn't install the mobo cd, but everything is not working excellent and the computer boots in about 15 seconds.

Thank you very much for the help guys, just got my EVGA 680 in the mail today, going to have a good weekend. : )