FX8350 (4.8GHz) critiques, reference etc.

morbious81

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
Okay so I got it to 4.8. Not 100% happy with my max temp, but I think I've just reached the limit of my current cooling solution. Just posting the shot for critique, suggestions, and reference.
test22jan2013.png

morbious81

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
I'm running an Antec Kuhler 920 on it.
TjMax=90*C. It hasn't throttled yet, but it's gott to be close.... It's not going to get any colder for me without making a custom loop. Soooo 5.0 is out of the picture right now, I'm too close to the therman edge for my liking.

geraldfryjr

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
It looks fairly normal to me.
I get about the same results on my FX-6300 on a Hyper 212+ with two fans at 4.8Ghz and a slightly higher Vcore at 1.568v.
It is in a Asrock 990FX Extreme 4 motherboard with 8GB of ram at 2133Mhz.

I have had it to 5.0 and post but no boot at 5.1Ghz.
The cooler I have is not enough to keep it at 5.0 stable or to push for 5.1Ghz as the temps shoot to 70c and above rather quickly on a Prime95 load but will pass a Wprime test.
Talking really high temps here but I didn't kill it !!!
It is marginal for 4.8Ghz even but I don't game or run heavy loads on it until I get a better cooling system.
But it is fine for everyday use.

4.8Ghz seems to be about the sweet spot for these chips.

I also have a FX-6100 at 4.75Ghz that was at 4.95 Ghz on a Cosair H100 and it hovers right at 66c under a full prime95 load 100% 24/7 stable at a slightly higher voltage at 1.632v or so.

You can feel the heat being pulled off by the H100 and I think that is about the limit for that cooler.
It can handle more heat but I don't think that the pump is flowing enough for anything higher.
The radiator temps are only about 35c as measured.

At 4.95Ghz or 5.0Ghz the FX-6100 temps can get as high as 68c but never went above it and typically stayed at no more than 66c to 67c as well.
Then after about 3 months it started dropping 2 cores so I back it down to 4.75Ghz and is completely stable now.
This machine will never see a game but it will do some occasional video encoding.

It seems that once you get these chips hot it takes a little more voltage to keep them stable then what it took when they were new out of the box.
Both machines are running fine and stable the way they are.
To get past 4.8Ghz you need some serious cooling to take the voltage above this.

FWIW

jer :)

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Can anyone find a credible source that states that above 61C is safe for these chips and the same goes for voltages above 1.55vcore. If you can please post it up, as far as I'm concerned those are the limits to stick with until someone can find some source which can definitively state differently.

At morbious81, if you want to break 5.0Ghz head over to the water cooling sticky and do some research. Then sell off that antec and get yourself a real water cooling loop.

morbious81

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012

Right now I'm having issues justifying spending $200+ on a "real water cooling loop" just to squeeze 200MHz more out of my CPU. The numbers don't add up.I've done the research, and eventually I will build a custom loop, I just don't see it happening on this build. I don't need bragging rights that bad right now. For now 4.8 is just fine for me.

morbious81

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012

Hmmmm I'll have to look into the RayStorm now... I've seen a couple people using them, and they seem to be solid performers. I'll run cinebench next time I'm home and on the machine and let you know how it does.
I've been on a couple other OC forums, and the temps seem to be average, not anything I'm willing to go over though. The only time it hits that max is running 100% load for stability testing. normal use I see a max of 40-45C.

morbious81

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
Here is my Cinebench screenshot. From what I can tell not too shabby.
cinebench25jan2013.png

That's with a few things running in the background. I'm sure it could be just a little higher if I shut that stuff down. but I figured I'd run it while my machine is running the way it would for daily use.

kiezz

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
congratulations good overclock, its not a shabby score at all but there is a but to that! you are getting 1 point per thread after a high overclock which is where all the negative press is coming from for amd its such poor performance per thread, I'd like to see what your score was before the overclock as well but i wouldn't take any negatives about the cpu its good and when the new consoles are released it may be that games start to rely on multiple threads more too which would start to benifit amd processors.
also if you go into file and click advanced benchmark it will give you the option to benchmark single core performance

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
I'm gonna have to agree with Kiezz on the point he made there, I'd expect a little higher score for 8 threads at near 5Ghz. The highest I can currently achieve is 5.02 but that is on a 955 @ 4.4Ghz with only 4 threads.

morbious81

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012

I admittedly haven't used CineBench before, so will have to try some things and see what I can find out from it. I got this CPU with the understanding that single thread isn't the best. Hopefully the idea that games are going to become more multi thread oriented pans out. I got it because I run many things at once on my machine, and it works great for that. I don't expect it to out perform more high end, expensive chips. For what it is my $200 has gone a long way. I did shut down a bunch of background programs and got a better score, but still in the 8's. All told I'm happy with what i have, and it should last me a few years, until I get the itch again :kaola:

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
That's a good way to be morbious81. I will eventually be getting a 8320 just to see how far i can push it with my water cooling setup, i kinda have an overclocking obsession...

Plus i bought this sabertooth 990fx way before faildozer was released mainly because I didn't know it was gonna suck. Now that the second gen is out I'm fairly happy with the improvements AMD has made.

morbious81

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
Once I got used to the settings on my Sabertooth I fell in love with the board. I got it when I was still running my 965BE, which OC'd on the mobo to 4.2 with little effort. I feel that the 8350/8320 is what BD was supposed to be. Matched up with the Sabertooth, well you see my results, and that's with a quasi-watercooler.

I'll put up a scrren shot at stock for you when I get a chance.