How to increase the USB bandwidth windows7

tecmo34

Administrator
Hello... Your post is incomplete so we cannot help you with your question (don't know what it is).

Typically, USB is 1) limited by the device's speed and 2) the physical limitations of USB it's self. There is little anyone can do to increase speed beyond those to limitations.

meradz

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
As tecmo34 has explained, there is no way to increase the physical bandwidth of USB. You can, however, change the policy of the device so that it enables write caching if this device will remain connected to the machine. Again, it will increase the perceived performance of writes, but will not affect reads.

The policy I mention can be accessed from the drive properties in the Windows Device Manager on the Policies tab. Select "Better performance".

kuanj

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
Thanks Teco34 and Meradz. Sorry for not being specific.
From Device Manager/View-Devices by connection/ACPI x64-based PC/PCA bus/USB enhanced controller - properties/ under tab advanced,
You see under descriprtion that a 20% Bandwidth is indicated. The question is that
can this 20 % be increased so that any device hooked on this controller can have
the full bandwidth.

Can I upload print screen. This will be easier than using words to describe.

Thanks

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007

Hi there,,
Don't know jack about 7 but,, in XP there is an edit in the local group editor to restore 20% bandwidth to the internet connection, wonder if that has any implication here to any internet capable usb devices, just speculating ...:)

meradz

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
I understand now. The value that is reserved is dynamic depending on the number of USB devices attached and in use. The system reserves that amount for control and error information. USB devices typically support multiple bandwidths and will automatically request the highest amount, then scale back to something that the system allows.

pgresham

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
Hi there, I've been searching for an answer regarding this topic. In my case, I have a USB port that has been damaged (I'm abroad and won't be able to get it fixed, nor is it necessary at the moment) and so Windows is allocating (probably) 20% to this broken port. I'd like to change the policy so that my external hard drive is given additional bandwidth.

Or maybe this isn't necessary! I have been looking up answers all morning and all I really see are sardonic "Um, why would you want to do that?" responses...

Thanks!