Last three questions for my i5 gaming build!

travisty_13

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
1) I'm not planning on overclocking my CPU, do I need an aftermarket cooler? (I'm will be running one radeon 5850, possibly two in the future.)

2) Will a 750 corsair 80 plus raitng PSU be enought to supply two 5850's?

3) Both of these monitors are on sale.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236074#spec

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009173&nm_mc=AFC-C8JUNCTION&cm_mmc=AFC-C8JUNCTION-_-EMC-031610-Latest-_-MonitorsLCDFlatPanel-_-24009173-LP5A&PID=3463938&AID=10521304

There is a code that brings the Acer down another $30. Which should I buy for gaming? Which brand is better? Is the Acer worth the extra money?

Solution
1) No, you don't need an aftermarket cooler if you are not planning on overclocking. It isn't a bad idea to get one anyways. It will provide better cooling and will help keep your system cooler with the dual GPU's.

2) Yes.. the Corsair 750TX / HX is strong enough for dual 5850's (didn't list which one so I referenced both models... :D )

3) I would go with the ASUS monitor... IMO!!

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
1) No.

2) I would expect so, but you might want to check one of the wattage calculators listed in the build threads.

3) They're both decent brands, though I don't think either of them are considered to be in the top tier. They both feature 5 ms response time, which is one of the key things to look at. The Acer is a weird resolution, but if you want it, you could certainly go for it. The Acer does have more stand adjustments listed, which is always a nice feature.

On the other hand, the ASUS is about half the weight, if that's a consideration.

tecmo34

Administrator
1) No, you don't need an aftermarket cooler if you are not planning on overclocking. It isn't a bad idea to get one anyways. It will provide better cooling and will help keep your system cooler with the dual GPU's.

2) Yes.. the Corsair 750TX / HX is strong enough for dual 5850's (didn't list which one so I referenced both models... :D )

3) I would go with the ASUS monitor... IMO!!

Solution

scudst0rm

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
1) no
2) yes
3) specs wise the acer is slightly better with a 300 cd/m2 brightness rating, but I think the extra cost is mostly due to the height adjustment/swivel stand. I would probably save the cash and get the asus.

travisty_13

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010

Is it easy enough to uninstall one and install a new one later? Do you have to apply new TC?

tecmo34

Administrator
Depending on the model you get...

If you get on with push-pins, it is easy to install and uninstall, which each time you do so, you will need to reappply thermal compound.

I would recommend a HSF which is held in place by bolts versus the push-pins (provides more support and better performance... IMO). These are harder to install, since most require them to be install prior to the MOBO being put into the case (back plate for MOBO). Once they are install, you can remove to re-apply thermal compound when need but you'll have to take the MOBO out if you plan on replacing with a new / different HSF.

This is why I typically recommend buying the HSF at the start of the build, so you can install it before the MOBO is in the case. Once you get a HSF, typically you don't need to replace it with a new one unless you want to increase your OCing and the current one doesn't meet your needs. Most issues with HSF are the fans themselves, which are easily replaced on aftermarket HSF.

As we've stated, it isn't required to have an aftermarket cooler on a non-overclocking system. It is up to you and if you do plan on doing it down the road, I highly recommend getting one up front, as I mentioned above.