How Much Rad Do I Need?

watdadileeo

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
I am starting a new project that I am starting to spec out. My GPU / CPU will be the following:

-EVGA 02G-P4-3660-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16

-Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz

I will probably SLI or upgrade my GPU to a 670 but before I get flamed for WC a 660TI, I am just really into WC and do it more for a hobby than anything. That being said...

I have already chosen some parts but I am trying to decide how much rad I need to ensure proper cooling if I were to SLI my GPU. I also want to pick the right ones. I have enough space for a thick 120x3 rad on a push/pull in the front of my case and another 120x2 or single 120 rad.

Parts Picked for my Loop:

Pump - Swiftech MCP35x
Res - EK X3 150
CPU Block - EK Supreme LTX
GPU Block - Haven't found anything that fits the chipset
Rad 1 - XSPC EX360
Rad 2 ???

Any help / suggestions will be much appreciated.

Solution
As far as blocks go, the EVGA cards are all reference design, and 660Tis use the 670 reference blocks (since both use the short PCB, unlike the GTX 680). You can see what EK has at http://www.coolingconfigurator.com, to get an idea of what the blocks look like.

Your other option is to use universal waterblocks, which are still very good performers, and give you a lot of flexibility when upgrading. I used to be (and hopefully will be again) a yearly upgrader, so not having to buy new blocks all the time was great and made selling the old cards much easier.

I have already chosen some parts but I am trying to decide how much rad I need to ensure proper cooling. I also want to pick the right ones. I have enough space for a thick 120x3...
As far as blocks go, the EVGA cards are all reference design, and 660Tis use the 670 reference blocks (since both use the short PCB, unlike the GTX 680). You can see what EK has at http://www.coolingconfigurator.com, to get an idea of what the blocks look like.

Your other option is to use universal waterblocks, which are still very good performers, and give you a lot of flexibility when upgrading. I used to be (and hopefully will be again) a yearly upgrader, so not having to buy new blocks all the time was great and made selling the old cards much easier.

I have already chosen some parts but I am trying to decide how much rad I need to ensure proper cooling. I also want to pick the right ones. I have enough space for a thick 120x3 rad on a push/pull in the front of my case and another 120x2 or single 120 rad.

The 660Ti has a TDP of 150W, so you'll be ok with a single EX360 if you want. With ~2000 RPM fans you should be able to cool ~400W and maintain an ~8C delta.

More is always better though, and would definitely be a good move if you want quieter fans and/or overclocking headroom.

The other components look good. The pump should last a good long time.

Solution

watdadileeo

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
Awesome info boiler. I was wondering, the universal gpu blocks say something about setting up cooling for passive RAMs and Mosfest chips. I am a total nub when it comes to this lingo and was wondering what this meant?

I also think I'll probably go for a thick 120 single rad just for shits and giggles.

Basically you will have to stick heatsinks on the RAM and VRM of the board, as the water block will not be covering them.

Those copper spiky things are the heatsinks for the RAM.
img0910g.jpg

Passive just means it cools by convection, air heating up, it rising and being replaced by cool air.

What Manofchalk posted is the basic setup - heatsinks on the VRAM chips. That's the bare minimum and should be sufficient for any GPU with decent airflow in the case.

If you're thinking about doing some voltage tweaking with the GPU, you may want to invest in some for the VRMs. You'll have to look up where the VRMs are on your GPU's board, because sometimes each one is a little different.

I guess that's true. I just haven't looked at the sticky in a while ;) ;)