Your question

2 memory chips with 4 slots?

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
November 17, 2010 12:57:04 AM

Hello,
I have a asus m4a785td-v evo motherboard with 4 memory slots for DDR3 memory. I only have 2 memory chips (2 GB each) What slots do I put them in . Channel a1 and a2 or channel A1 and B1? Confused, please help

More about : memory chips slots

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b } Memory
a c 235 V Motherboard
November 17, 2010 1:31:44 AM

The manual isn't the clearest directions I've seen before but what I gather is putting both in either A_1 & A_2 or B_1 & B_2 is your best option over A_1 & B_1 or A_2 & B_2. This format/method has the most support for the RAM setup based on the QVL.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
November 17, 2010 7:43:33 AM

Fill A1 and B1 for dual channel operation, if your motherboard is capable of dual-channel. If you fill A1 and A2, you have single channel operation, which is not good provided again that your motherboard supports dual-channel. B1 and B2 also operate in single channel only.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
November 17, 2010 4:31:13 PM

Put them in the matching colored slots.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
November 18, 2010 6:49:05 AM

For only two RAM sticks, the use of the term "matching colored slots" may not be a good idea as the remaining slots ( A2 and B2 ) are also matching colored slots. But they may not be detected by the motherboard unless you fill up the A1 and B1 first.

In my motherboard ( P7P55D ), the slot closest to the CPU is A2 ( colored black ) and often the slot preferred by the amateur builders because of its closeness to the CPU together with the other black slot. Then they come up and say " our RAM sticks are not detected ".
m
l
!