SSD Audio Drive

jc2009x

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Does anyone use RAID 1 For an audio drive (redundancy) or RAID 0 (speed)?

Also wondering if I should maybe think about Revo3 drives

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
^haha yes

Depends on what you're doing with "audio"... Anything important: 1. Anything fast 0 (or Revo!!), anything important and fast 1+0 (aka RAID10). But you won't find a lot of mobo's supporting 10.
I like to hear more and more people going Revo (FusionIO, any other PCISSD, etc.). Revo gets my vote. :)

jc2009x

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
For Recording in ProTools. I currently have:

Intel i7 980x CPU
Gigabyte G1. ASSASSIN Motherboard
24 Gigs of Mushkin 9-9-9--24 Blackline Memory

I have a friend that has 2 intel 520 SSD @60GB each that I might put in raid 0 for OS
Been considering a few differnt possibilitties:
1. 2 120 GB SSD in RAID 1 for redundancy
2. OCZ RevoDrive Hybrid 1TB PCIe X4 Sandforce Nvelo Dataplex Solid State Disk Flash Drive and have scheduled back up to a SATA or RAID
3. OCZ RevoDrive 3 120GB PCIe Sandforce SF-2281 SSD Solid State Disk Flash Drive and have scheduled back up to a SATA or RAID
4. 2 OCZ RevoDrive 3 120GB PCIe Sandforce SF-2281 SSD Solid State Disk Flash Drive in RAID 1 (quite expensive)

2 SATA III SSD in RAID 0 will beat a RevoDRive in read/write specs, and is cheaper! And it works!

Some motherboards have isssues with RevoDrives, so see if your mobo is supported. Some mobo have issue with booting from PCI-e, And you'll need an open PCI-e x4 slot (usually the bottom one), and make sure using that slot doesn't "turn off" any others features of the mobo, as my Asus P8Z68-V Pro would. So check, check, check.

RAID has it's drawn backs (no TRIM), but I'll haven't had a problem in over 2 years of SSD in RAID 0 (as I overprovision the drives myself: only partition 80% of total drive size).

IMHO, I wouldn't use an SSD just for music. But in your case (recording), maybe yes, but you'll need a large one, and these will be pricey. You want to use it as your OS drive too, won't you?

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
foscooter is very right with compatibility with motherboards and nuances when booting from PCI-E.

Based on what you've said in your second post, I'd setup a couple RAID-0s. 1 set for OS and 1 set for your projects, and then archiving/backup to a large TB spindle (or even to a Drobo, alike).
My next suggestion can run into mobo support issues again and is more expensive, but you could consider a dedicated LSI/alike RAID card and just put a mess of SSDs (>4) in a single RAID5. OS and all goes in there, and you get fault tolerance. Just throwing it out there...

jc2009x

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

Won't having a RAID 1 Audio Drive Create the fault tolerance?

Yes, but with RAID-1 there is no Write performance benefit, you will only get 2 times Read performance.

I think psaus’ suggestion is a good one. Set up a small RAID-0 for your O/S, a large RAID-0 for your data/projects, and a large TB spindle that will be your fault tolerance/backup.