Reinstalling W7 on SSD - Issues?

erwinna

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Hello,

I recently build a new computer and all has been running smoothly EXCEPT two issues have now emerged:

1. I have been having a pesky 1324 error (I believe because I reassigned a letter to my hard drive) for my StarCraft II Banshee Headphones which I can't seem to get rid of (I have tried modifying registry, etc.)

2. This morning I received a DLL error.

I think the DLL is connected to registry issues and I would like to uninstall/reinstall winsdows on the SSD to just "start fresh". The only things I have on my SSD (other than W7) is WoW AVG.

I know SSDs can be finicky regarding read/write and I want to know if there are any issues in my uninstalling/reinstalling W7 on the SSD? Are there any alternatives? Are there any precautions I should take? I have the OCZ Agility 60gb.

Solution
[strike]Full uninstall W7 from SSD [/strike]
Shut down with W7 disk in disk drive
Reboot computer and in BIOS prompt system to boot from disk drive (ensuring I am in AHCI)
Install W7 onto SSD (with HDD unattached, which is how I do it as well)
Quick Format of SSD and away I go
Download and install latest Intel AHCI (preferred) or ASUS board drivers (not as preferred)
^notice my edits

Regarding the "degradation" of SSDs, there is so much info out there its easy to get lost in it if you are just learning. I really am very new to this and teaching myself as I go, so please treat me thusly! Your time/response/help is REALLY appreciated!

Completely understand where you're coming from. Newbie learning a...

erwinna

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Hey, yes I have it set in AHCI and my mobo is the Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3. I am curious how AHCI helps (for my own education)?

Also: I have read a lot about TRIM which I think is enabled by default on the OCZ Agility 60gb....I have read this may be good when doing a reinstall of windows because of the way SSDs delete info (I am new to this so please bear with my noob-ishness). Is there any way to CONFIRM TRIM is enabled?

If I do uninstall and then reinstall W7, are there any precautions I should take? I have ready about reinstalls making the SSD run slower, which is essentially what I want to avoid.

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
If you're going to start fresh, boot from the w7 install disk and do a quick format on the SSD drive (I prefer to have only the destination drive attached when doing the install, then reconnect any other drives after installation has completed).
Leave your BIOS at AHCI, when you're done installing, make sure you load either Intel AHCI drivers (my preference), or ASUS' drivers (tend to be older).

TRIM: if the device (SSD) supports it, and you have AHCI enabled and installed correctly, TRIM is working. (assuming a compatible OS is used, W7 is compatible).

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
I have ready about reinstalls making the SSD run slower, which is essentially what I want to avoid.

Not heard of this... not to say I know everything, but I have never heard of SSDs being degraded after multiple OS installs (my lab does OS installs on SSDs every day - 3x/day. The oldest SSD in there is 4yrs old with no significant performance problems)

erwinna

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012

So would the steps look like this:

Full uninstall W7 from SSD
Reboot computer and in BIOS prompt system to boot from disk drive (ensuring I am in AHCI)

Regarding the "degradation" of SSDs, there is so much info out there its easy to get lost in it if you are just learning.

I really am very new to this and teaching myself as I go, so please treat me thusly! Your time/response/help is REALLY appreciated!

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
[strike]Full uninstall W7 from SSD [/strike]
Download and install latest Intel AHCI (preferred) or ASUS board drivers (not as preferred)
^notice my edits

Regarding the "degradation" of SSDs, there is so much info out there its easy to get lost in it if you are just learning. I really am very new to this and teaching myself as I go, so please treat me thusly! Your time/response/help is REALLY appreciated!

Completely understand where you're coming from. Newbie learning a new-to-the-industry-technology. Lots of #$%^ to wade through. :)
There is a such thing as performance degradation in SSDs, but it's not from installing/reinstalling Windows (or any other OS). It's from excessive use. Unless you're in a lab environment of some kind, chances are your typical gaming and home use will not expose this degradation (exception: very early SSDs and really crappy SSDs - neither apply to you)

Solution
Re-install win 7.
.. Best to do a secure eraese. Yes you can skip this. My experience a degreagtion in performance, but should be short lived. Visit OCZ forum for How, while at it verify you have the LATEST Firmware installed. Version can be check by runing AS SSD (don't need to run the benchmark, Just open and look in the upper left. It will display fw version, driver and if alignment is OK.
.. On Trim, You can verify it is enabled, just can not verify that it is "working"

Day late and a Dollar short, as the old saying goes.
If you had used Windows 7 back-up program (found in the control panel) You could have saved a WHOLE lot of time!!
After you do do the win 7 re-install.
.. Let windows do it's updates.
.. Install all drivers.
.. Install all programs.
.. TEST system, if OK then activate.
THEN
.. Do a Backup of the OS (Your SSD)
.. Go to control panel and select backup.
.. Seclect syytem (Your C drive (Note it will include that little 100 mb system partition.
.. You can place this image on a 2nd internal HD (I do and then copy to a backup drive), or to a set of DVDs. When done, It will prompt you to create a bootable windows repair disk. Your choice as you have a windows installation disk from which you can select repair, restore from Image (this is what I do.).

NEXT time you need to redo your windows 7, just select repair, repair from Image and 10 MINUTES later walla DONE. No more having to do a Re-install, allow windows to update, reload drivers and NO more re-install programs. After windows reloads this image you can boot and EVERTHING will be exactly as it was when you created the Image.

erwinna

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012