Sign in with
Your question

Help me Overclock my 8400GS to its limits.

Last response: in Overclocking
January 23, 2013 5:48:10 AM

This are the stats when overclocked and not overclocked, but I've noticed that the temperature of the care doesn't increase after overclocking it, so I was wondering if I can push it a bit more? My drivers crashed when getting it to 730+ core clock (I haven't touched the memory, was wondering If lowering the memory clock and increasing the core clock would help me get more FPS?). The drivers are crashing for no apparent reason, because the card is not overheating.

P.S: I can't do a pencil overclock.

Not overclocked

overclocked

a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 23, 2013 5:50:50 AM

Even if you could OC it, I doubt it would help much, if at all. Your best bet is to replace the card.
m
l
January 23, 2013 5:54:21 AM

vrumor said:
Even if you could OC it, I doubt it would help much, if at all. Your best bet is to replace the card.

I can't afford to buy a card for some months and I really need to play a game in some hours (Path Of Exile open beta ha) Getting from 520 to 720 core clock helped me get 10+ FPS. I'm wondering if I could overclock even more to get some extra FPS. I don't care if the card dies in less than a year. Thanks for replying.

Edit: My card has a fan btw. This model doesn't come with a fan supposedly.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 6:01:53 AM

well good luck if you could, but as said it`s just not worth doing, 64 bit memory bus. serious bottle neck for starters. A bit of history for you anyway 8400 gs and 8600gt.
Were blighted with Gpu failures. For the most part Gpu`s of that type fitted into laptops over heating an damaging the Gpu. Yes I know your is a Card in a tower system but even then lots of cards failed after an overclock, There was a big kick off about it two or three years ago. Hp and a like, got hundred`s of laptops back simply due to the Gpu`s cooking themselves to death. I had a friend with one have to have his main board of the laptop replaced four times under warranty due to the Gpu failing each time. In the end he Gave Up, it cost Hp and alike lots of money and eventually Nvidia payed them all, the losses, in having to replace the boards each time due to the faulty GPU`s.
m
l
January 23, 2013 6:23:10 AM

weaselman said:
well good luck if you could, but as said it`s just not worth doing, 64 bit memory bus. serious bottle neck for starters. A bit of history for you anyway 8400 gs and 8600gt.
Were blighted with Gpu failures. For the most part Gpu`s of that type fitted into laptops over heating an damaging the Gpu. Yes I know your is a Card in a tower system but even then lots of cards failed after an overclock, There was a big kick off about it two or three years ago. Hp and a like, got hundred`s of laptops back simply due to the Gpu`s cooking themselves to death. I had a friend with one have to have his main board of the laptop replaced four times under warranty due to the Gpu failing each time. In the end he Gave Up, it cost Hp and alike lots of money and eventually Nvidia payed them all, the losses, in having to replace the boards each time due to the faulty GPU`s.

If raising it from 520 to 720 core Mhz didn't over heat and gave me some FPS. I'm sure I can get a bit more even less than 5fps more will help. I'm willing to put a house fan next to the case. I'm only getting a driver error when going higher than 720Mhz core. This is my first time overclocking, so I don't know how to get the best results.

I insist on overclocking this card because it's all I have for some months. I don't expect to get crazy FPS either.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2013 6:52:35 AM

Increase the voltage by one volt. You should be able to overclock more with more voltage. Dont forget to increase the fan speed as well to make sure it stays cool. I don't know whats wrong with people on toms hardware sometimes. It's almost like they're advertising products on some threads. I understand your situation and it seems you want to get the most out of this card. Increase the volt and it should let you overclock a bit more. Don't forget to increase your shader clock as well. I recommend using a utility called GPUTOOL. Its the easiest overclocking tool on the market in my experience,
m
l
!