Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows boot issues

Last response: in Systems
March 17, 2010 9:29:56 PM

I bought a new computer about 4 months ago and have slightly upgraded it with graphics and it worked fine.

I decided to buy a new motherboard, CPU (955 BE) and a new case.

when i installed the componets from the old system (compaq with windows 7 64 bit) the new system fails to boot

it get to the windows 7 boot screen and gets stuck on the little flashing bulbs and then re-boots with the same result. i think it may be because the hdd is OEM with a OEM copy of windows, so anyone know?

More about : windows boot issues

March 17, 2010 9:33:41 PM

Sticky from above:

Booting Problems Checklist

However, I can probably tell you that you need to re-install Windows 7 due to the new motherboard.

-Wolf sends
m
l
March 17, 2010 9:47:07 PM

Wolfshadw is right. You can't take the HD from an OEM system and move it to another system without re-installing the OS.
m
l
Related resources
March 17, 2010 9:49:06 PM

um well theres a partition on the drive that is a recovery portion, would this work? if i did it that way, or would i have to compltely buy a disc and do all of that
m
l
March 17, 2010 9:50:53 PM

You will likely have to buy an OS disk. Most OEM Operating Systems are tied to that system and can't be transferred to another system.
m
l
March 17, 2010 9:54:59 PM

ugh there has to be sometihng i can do, i just bought all this stuff maxing out ym budget, and i dont have the money to purchase copy of windows 7, is there anyway i could contact hp/compaq and see what happens?
m
l
March 17, 2010 10:02:41 PM

Good luck with that. Your computer isn't even technically an HP/Compaq anymore since you replaced the motherboard with a non HP/Compaq model. You could try repairing the installation, but I highly doubt it will work. If it does work, the system may not be stable.

I would start saving your pennies for this:

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM $104.99
m
l
March 17, 2010 10:14:08 PM

i called hp and they said that they cant do anything except give me a recovery disc, which he said wont help this so idk
m
l
March 17, 2010 11:02:41 PM

is there any way to bypass OEM tethering or can just get a windows 7 install disk and use my legit windows 7 keycode to activate and install windows 7 on the OEM hard drive after a ful formal
m
l

Best solution

March 17, 2010 11:18:10 PM

I did that once on an XP install (Windows XP Install disk and legit XP keycode from the old system). It would not activate automatically. I had to call Microsoft and after explaining the situation (and forfeiting my first born if I ever used that old motherboard again... j/k), they did walk me through the manual activation steps. Personally, I think it's up to the tech you get when you have to call in.

-Wolf sends
March 18, 2010 12:48:42 AM

ok i'll give microsoft a call or call's until they give me what i want lol

im just hoping to get this money pit running again
m
l
March 25, 2010 12:02:53 AM

Best answer selected by dj1001.
m
l
!