dj1001

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
I bought a new computer about 4 months ago and have slightly upgraded it with graphics and it worked fine.

I decided to buy a new motherboard, CPU (955 BE) and a new case.

when i installed the componets from the old system (compaq with windows 7 64 bit) the new system fails to boot

it get to the windows 7 boot screen and gets stuck on the little flashing bulbs and then re-boots with the same result. i think it may be because the hdd is OEM with a OEM copy of windows, so anyone know?

Solution
I did that once on an XP install (Windows XP Install disk and legit XP keycode from the old system). It would not activate automatically. I had to call Microsoft and after explaining the situation (and forfeiting my first born if I ever used that old motherboard again... j/k), they did walk me through the manual activation steps. Personally, I think it's up to the tech you get when you have to call in.

-Wolf sends

dj1001

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
ugh there has to be sometihng i can do, i just bought all this stuff maxing out ym budget, and i dont have the money to purchase copy of windows 7, is there anyway i could contact hp/compaq and see what happens?

dj1001

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
is there any way to bypass OEM tethering or can just get a windows 7 install disk and use my legit windows 7 keycode to activate and install windows 7 on the OEM hard drive after a ful formal

Wolfshadw

Titan
I did that once on an XP install (Windows XP Install disk and legit XP keycode from the old system). It would not activate automatically. I had to call Microsoft and after explaining the situation (and forfeiting my first born if I ever used that old motherboard again... j/k), they did walk me through the manual activation steps. Personally, I think it's up to the tech you get when you have to call in.

-Wolf sends

Solution