Solved

IDE TO SATA HOT SWAP

Hello,
my current PC supports SATA HD's. My older computer has 5 IDE (PATA) HD's. Is there such a thing as a hot swap bay that has a SATA connector to the motherboard but accepts PATA HD's in the enclosure?
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about sata swap
  1. I don't think IDE/PATA drives support hot swap. Even if it is in a hot swap bay/enclosure you will need to shut down the system before yanking the drive.
  2. Hawkeye22 said:
    I don't think IDE/PATA drives support hot swap. Even if it is in a hot swap bay/enclosure you will need to shut down the system before yanking the drive.

I can deal with shutting the system down to swap HD's. I want to avoid having to crawl around on the floor, unplug and open the PC to switch HD's. So I guess my question should be, is there an internal bay with SATA hookup to the MB that is compatible with PATA/IDE HD's.
  3. They make IDE to SATA adapters.

Here's one from Microcenter: Slim SATA to IDE Adapter with Bracket
  4. Best answer
    Newegg has a bunch for sata. I can't get a search to turn up IDE though. you might want to check for yourself.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100016546&IsNodeId=1&Description=hot%20swap%20drive%20bay&name=HDD%20Accessories&Order=BESTMATCH
  5. Best answer selected by tekscritter.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives SATA Computer HD Storage Product