Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Router Mac Addresses?

Last response: in Networking
February 2, 2010 5:03:45 PM

Hi everyone, I have general question regardng my Linksys WRT54GS2 router.

I was wondering why the MAC address printed on the back of the router is not the one being seen when I access online (differing only 1 digit).

E.g. if i had mac address ending in 24, it instead is listed as 25 when I check it status. What does this mean?

More about : router mac addresses

Best solution

February 2, 2010 6:07:54 PM

titansfan690 said:
Hi everyone, I have general question regardng my Linksys WRT54GS2 router.

I was wondering why the MAC address printed on the back of the router is not the one being seen when I access online (differing only 1 digit).

E.g. if i had mac address ending in 24, it instead is listed as 25 when I check it status. What does this mean?

I don't know the specifics, but each network device has to have a MAC address. Therefore, the wireless device, all 4 LAN ports, and the WAN port all have their own unique MAC address. I would assume this has something to do with why the MAC address shown online isn't the same as the one on the bottom of the router.
February 2, 2010 9:32:45 PM

Best answer selected by titansfan690.
m
l
Related resources
February 2, 2010 9:33:02 PM

MaizeNBlue2 said:
I don't know the specifics, but each network device has to have a MAC address. Therefore, the wireless device, all 4 LAN ports, and the WAN port all have their own unique MAC address. I would assume this has something to do with why the MAC address shown online isn't the same as the one on the bottom of the router.

Makes perfect sense, thank you very much!
m
l
February 3, 2010 12:48:40 AM

titansfan690 said:
Makes perfect sense, thank you very much!

Your welcome.
m
l
!