m
l
April 13, 2012 3:46:26 PM

cooled said:
hello
Im trying to decide wether to get a WD blue or Black
What are the advantages of the Black
except warranty and cache

If you play games or do video work (or anything else that requires moving data to/from the HDD) then a black might benefit you. If you don't do data intensiv things than a blue will suffice.

I have both in my desktop and honestly don't really see a real work daily use difference. Things copy over a tad bit faster to the black, but not so much of a difference that the blue makes me sit there and wait.

What are your needs? What is the cost difference between drives? What is your budget? Weigh those against each other.
m
l
Related resources
April 13, 2012 4:29:43 PM

The black is significantly faster than the blue in all tasks and is a far more reliable drive. Also they cross ship black drive but not blues. meaning you call today with a bad drive and they put the new one in the mail that day and you have 30 days to return it. The blue they wait to receive it before shipping a new one to you.
m
l
April 15, 2012 2:30:13 PM

po1nted said:
If you play games or do video work (or anything else that requires moving data to/from the HDD) then a black might benefit you. If you don't do data intensiv things than a blue will suffice.

I have both in my desktop and honestly don't really see a real work daily use difference. Things copy over a tad bit faster to the black, but not so much of a difference that the blue makes me sit there and wait.

What are your needs? What is the cost difference between drives? What is your budget? Weigh those against each other.

so if both of them are 3Gbps the black is only a tad bit faster and more reliable?
m
l
April 15, 2012 7:20:49 PM

Correct. I am also running both in my current desktop. I use the blue for my SSD storage, docs, ect. I use my Black drive for movies, video streaming, ect.

If you will be doing any type of movie streaming, movie editing, or media stuff....I would just go for the Black drive.
m
l

Best solution

April 15, 2012 8:43:19 PM

I have a 320gb blue in my wifes computer, and a 640gb black in my pc. Honestly, go for the cheaper of the two (unless the warranty is really important to you) There is a bit of a speed difference, but you will more than likely not notice it. On occasion my wifes blue can actually out perform my black drive. Not sure how thats possible...but hey, can't argue with Crystal Disk Mark/HD Tune. I am fairly confident you would not notice the difference in a daily use machine anyway. I have read that the black is more reliable though, which IS most important to me. If you are really concerned with speed, buy a small OS ssd and a smaller blue drive for daily storage if your budget allows. Having a Corsair Force 3 I can say with certainty the cost for going ssd is worth it.
April 17, 2012 5:26:45 PM

Best answer selected by cooled.
m
l
!