Sign in with
Your question

This new build keeps getting WORSE!!!

Last response: in Systems
March 18, 2010 12:12:53 AM

I am getting nowhere fast, and keeps getting worse. I have this new build- like a month now. Keeps posting fine, so I believe I did that part right. Messed around with BIOS and other settings at different times, nothing worked well, and have totally reset EVERYTHING back to original... inluding BIOS.

The newest problem now is: everything will be working fine for a while, then from nowhere the thing freezes. First it is just the typing that no longer works, then the pages wont click, then the mouse/pointer and keyboard all freeze completely. At that point I am left with no option but to shut down PSU.

I have no idea what the heck is wrong with this build... I have been monitoring temps, and they always seem fine. I am not sure what the voltages should be, but they are all stock anyway. Both before and after I messed with the memory settings (in BIOS) MemTest would always work fine- multiple passes with no errors. All the fans are working properly. I am totally lost. I look everyplace for answers, and can't seem to get tot eh bottom of it.

Anyone who can help will be a hero and I most grateful!!!

Here is the build again:

CASE ROSEWILL|CHALLENGER
MB ASROCK M3A770DE 770+SB710
VGA MSI|R5850-PM2D1G OC HD5850
MSI 626 913 0828
ADD CARD ROSEWILL RC-501 1394A
PSU ROSEWILL| RG630-S12 630W
CPU AMD|PH II X4 955 3.2G AM3
MEM 2Gx2|ADATA AX3U1600GB2G9-AG
HD 640G|WD 32M SATA2 WD6400AADS
150GB SATA 10000 Rpm 16MB Cache Drive
BLU-COMBO SAMSUNG | SH-B083L/BSBP
WIN HOME PREM 7 64-BIT ENG 1PK DSP
Synchmaster 2233rz Monitor

Thanks again!!!!

More about : build worse

March 18, 2010 4:00:41 AM

^ Do you have the latest drivers for all the components ?
And see if there are any new firmware update for your mobo too...
m
l
March 18, 2010 4:14:34 AM

And I guess it goes without saying that you did a fresh install of Windows?
m
l
Related resources
March 18, 2010 4:21:40 AM

Hey guys, thanks for your responses. I bought a new version of Win7 x64 to install. I assumed (probably not correctly) that everything I downloaded last month for drivers would still be relevant now.
m
l
March 18, 2010 4:27:13 AM

^ There were driver issues(Grey lines, freezing and such) with the ATI HD 5xxx series cards, which was fixed with updated drivers released maybe nearly a month before I guess...
I would suggest you update all your drivers with the latest ones available now...And just make sure you get the correct and stable ones...
m
l
March 18, 2010 4:54:40 AM

I am in the process of trying to do this now. I feel like I am making things worse as the damned screen wants to flicker more instead of less. At least the freezing hasn't come back lately...
m
l
March 18, 2010 5:01:57 AM

Seems like after having finished, now the screen is flickering more than ever. I cant imagine how things get worse with updates... what am I doing wrong?
m
l
March 18, 2010 5:06:04 AM

^ Which all drivers did you update ? And from wherer did you get the updated drivers ?
m
l
March 18, 2010 5:10:48 AM

well the first thing i notice is you have a rosewill PSU.

rosewill PSUs are usually very bad quality, and the symptoms could be consistent with a flaky PSU (doesn't sounds exactly like a PSU issue, but it could well be caused by ineffective supply to the GPU). do you, or someone you know, have a spare PSU that you could switch out to test it?
m
l
March 18, 2010 5:22:47 AM

I agree with whats been posted so far. Make sure you have the newest drivers for your 5850, and a rosewill PSU that came with the case might not be the best option to power a 5850. Yes I know its a 630W, but its a rosewill and came with a case. At the very least double check the voltages, or better try a different PSU.

Edit: And as someone pointed out in a different thread, running memtest would be a good idea.
m
l
March 18, 2010 5:34:17 AM

^ +1 for both the above ...Even though the Rosewill PSUs are not good, but I did have a look at the specs of that one...
It has 50A on a single 12V rail, is 80+ Certified and has Active PFC...that is the reason why I dint bother to say anything about the PSU...
But it would be good if you could check your PC with a different PSU from a Tier 1 company...
m
l
March 18, 2010 5:42:34 AM

I dont have acceess to another without buying one. I guess i will have to check around see if there is someone I knnow. thanks for the idea- i'll let you know
m
l
March 18, 2010 5:43:39 AM

What type of cooler do you have on the cpu? Sometimes over tighting a cpu cooler or chipset cooler or heatsink can cause the cpu or chipset to act up. Most common on waterblocks used to cool the M/B chipsets. But has happened before on cpu coolers that need alot of force to install. Just thinking...

Also do you have anything ran behind the M/B in terms of wires that could short out the board are bow the board to cause this? Or if the M/B had extra standoffs that might need to be removed and are now hitting the board. You may have checked these things but if not it is a place to start as well. Any flex in the m/b can cause issues.
m
l
March 18, 2010 10:55:26 AM

Bump, Let us know if anything changes.
m
l
March 18, 2010 1:40:39 PM

Thanks for the ideas. Believe it or not, at one point or another someone had asked me, and I went to work fixing these things... I did actually have an extra standoff in there, which I've since taken out. I think I did a better job rewiring when I did that reassemble also, so this shouldnt be an issue. The cpu cooler is just the stock one, plus another that came attached to the case. I believe- though not 100% positive- that the cpu temp has stayed decent. I have never seen it higher than 45degrees, although I havent watched WHILE i was actually playing games. I have the idea stuck in my head that the problem lies more in settings- between BIOS, and these overclocking tools that are for the video card or other stuff...
m
l
March 18, 2010 1:58:51 PM

Thanks!! Someone actually referred me to this, and even said my voltage should be up to 1.85. I dont understand the voltage bit at all, which def makes matters worse here. Since resetting everything back to factory, I have only changed the RAM in Bios. Bumped it up to 800 mhz ddr3 1600 (from 1333), changed the #'s (whatever they are, I forget) to 9-9-9-24, and the voltage up to 1.83 (1.85 was unavailable). The flickering seems to have subsided a little, and I am not really sure if this is the end of the prob, or just sleeping until I play a game or something. Thanks for the link, I will read now.
m
l
March 19, 2010 8:57:59 AM

Update: I know I shouldn't believe everything I read... but the box that my MOBO came in advertises "Dual Channel DDR2 1066". I have DDR3 1600. Is my gear not compatable, or does this just mean that is the minimum it can handle? Maybe this will explain my issues??
m
l
March 19, 2010 9:01:47 AM

SORRY sorry sorry. Strike that last bit. Wasnt even the mobo i have- was a box a different company sent my hard drive in. Never mind!! (what a relief)
m
l
March 19, 2010 9:21:31 AM

I was going to say... If you somehow got DDR3 into a DDR2 board, THAT is your problem...
m
l
March 19, 2010 9:23:45 AM

ya!! i was ready to jump out the window when I saw it.... then i see the board on the box isnt even the one I own... so I guess back to the drawing board!! =)
m
l
March 19, 2010 9:26:23 AM

^+1...And also AFAIK you will not be able to fit in a DDR3 onto a DDR2 slot...
m
l
March 19, 2010 5:49:50 PM

Not to be a downer but if I understand what has happened correctly. (You had a stud underneath the board where it shouldn't go) Then you may have damaged your motherboard. Remember electrostatic discharge must contain more than 3,000 volts for you to feel it. To see a spark, the ESD must be more than 20,000 volts. It will only take around 30 to ruin a circuit or "wire" in a mobo. If there was a metal stud in the wrong place it would be possible to make something malfunction.

I have done this to parts before and had multiple outcomes. Sometimes they never have a problem, others limped along and semi worked while other failed flat out.

If problems persist then you may want to try testing a different motherboard.
m
l
March 19, 2010 7:12:15 PM

Thanks for the heads up. hope this isnt the prob. i will try to check this out....
m
l
!