Can't disconnect HDD with OS installed on SSD

taxidriver1138

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
I have Windows installed on my SSD, and a single HDD for storage. My plan is to remove the HDD and use it as an external because I bought some other drives that I'm going to put in a RAID array. The problem is when I disconnect the HDD and turn my computer on I get this error: "Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot media in selected Boot device and press a key." It starts up fine if the HDD is connected. I was going to just delete the volume in disk management and then try it but I'm scared if I do that I'll have to reinstall Windows or something. Anyone know what to do?

RealBeast

Titan
Which version of Windows -- 7? If so, your system reserved partition is on the HDD, which occasionally happens, which is why it is best to do an install with no other drives connected. It is an easy fix though. Just make a system repair disk -- type that into the start run box and follow the wizard.

While there are a bunch of ways to fix this issue, this is one of the quicker ones:

Create a 100 MB partition at the end of Disk 0, the disk that contains the partition of the Windows 7 installation, make sure to unplug all other drives. Then restart, and when you get a boot-loading error, insert the System Repair Disk, and let it repair the system and System Partition, which will be moved to the partition you made created.

taxidriver1138

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

It worked! Thank you so much!