Trying to decide between 2 set ups

G

I'm deciding between two systems. I will only be using it for normal stuff and playing WoW (which I would like to play maxed out on my HDTV).

AMD Phenom II x4 945
ATI HD 5870 1GB

or

Intel i7 920
Nvidia 260 GTX 1.8GB

All other components are more or less equal.

The intel option is about another $300, which I would avoid if the performance increase would be hardly noticable.

What are your opinions? Thanks!

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Is that a GTX 260 in the intel build?

The AMD built will beat the *BEEP* out of the intel one in gaming. Besides I'm not sure where you get your prices from when you are paying $300 more than the AMD build when it has a 5870 and the other had a GTX 260...

Your prices are stuffed up, where are you buying from?

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Firstly, for WoW, you don't need a 5870, i7 or even gtx 260; those are absolute overkill for that game.
For graphics, you could do just as well with a 5750 or 5670.
You could pair them w/ Intel's i3 530/540 or the AMD you mentioned.

may1

Distinguished
May 7, 2009

Word.

randomkid

Distinguished

^1.

To the OP:
Are the options you are considering pre-built or can you still re-configured them?

G

They're preconfigured systems. I guess a better question to ask was if the i7 920 was so much better than the AMD phenom II x4 945, that it would be worth the $300 and losing the ATI 5870 for a 260 GTX.

Slayer697

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
They're preconfigured systems. I guess a better question to ask was if the i7 920 was so much better than the AMD phenom II x4 945, that it would be worth the $300 and losing the ATI 5870 for a 260 GTX.

I sincerely doubt it. You're better off saving the $300 for a future upgrade to your AMD CPU. Since you're looking at regular usage with low end gaming, at the very least the graphics card will be solid should you change your mind in a year and decide to get a new motherboard and CPU. At that point you could probably drop the $300 you saved into getting a new motherboard/CPU combo that will compare to the i7-920 and motherboard in this preconfigured system. That's assuming you'll even need a new motherboard.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
I have a dedicated WoW box downstairs running max settings on a 50" TV at 1920 x 1080.

I'm using a Phenom II X2 550 BE and Radeon 5770 both at stock and it runs flawlessly.

If you're ONLY going to game then go with the AMD as that 5870 will last you a while.

The AMD system, that costs $300 less is a whole lot better for gaming than the intel system. It doesn't matter that the core i7 is a faster CPU, it isn't by too large of a margin in most applications. Not to mention that the GTX260 is about equal to the radeon 5770. You are getting a 5870. The ranking goes 5870>5850>5830>5770>5750>5670. The AMD CPU you have is more than capable of handling a 5870.

randomkid

Distinguished
If the choice is only this or that, I will go for the PII X4 945 + ATI 5870 .

Probably the main differentiator in the price is also contributed by the motherboard and RAM. I suspect the AMD is 4GB while the Intel is 6GB. The Intel is less configured as a gaming rig ( although it is already pretty decent GPU wise ).

What is the AMD motherboard? This will tell how much OC headroom you can have with the PII X4 945.

may1

Distinguished
May 7, 2009

Given that inhalexhale has budget to afford a i7 system with GTX260...
Budget is a no problemo, plus no preferences were stated (other than normal stuffs and WoW)
I don't think there is need to do DIY.

G

The total price was only $899 for the AMD/ATI system. I originally wanted to build my own, but it seemed close to the same price for lesser hardware.

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010

Just because budget isn't a problem, doesn't mean you waste money on stuff you don't need. Building a system gets you a lot of experience and confidence, it allows you to not be scared of troubleshooting any problems you have.

randomkid

Distinguished

The good thing about doing it yourself is that you can balance the PC and ensure each component is up to par and will not bottleneck each other.
Take for example the $899 for a PII X4 945 + HD 5870. We know its really overkill for "other stuff and WOW".
Is 5870 essential? No. - even at full hd, an HD5770 will be enough for less than half the price.
Is X4 945 essential? No. - an Athlon II X4 640 even will be more than enough. But personally since budget is no object, better get the X4 955 which is Black Edition that have unlocked multiplier.

We are blank with the other components but the PSU will be one important part to be considered and ensure it is among the best.

In summary, the main reason to DIY is flexibility. The excitement of opening the box ( believe me it feels like its Christmas everytime I open the box of my newly bought PC parts ) and building it yourself is a bonus. :)

G

I was really getting excited about building my own, but it seemed like I wouldn't get as much for the same money. Also, the in home warranty thing is a huge plus. If something fails during finals week, and I have to mail it out and wait......not good!! lol

I'm prob going to still build a PC just because I never have, and would really like to.

I bought the AMD/ATI. Thanks for the replies, they were a big help!

Slayer697

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
I was really getting excited about building my own, but it seemed like I wouldn't get as much for the same money. Also, the in home warranty thing is a huge plus. If something fails during finals week, and I have to mail it out and wait......not good!! lol

I'm prob going to still build a PC just because I never have, and would really like to.

Congrats on your new box. It was a pleasure to be of service.

randomkid

Distinguished

Yey! That's an awesome rig you got there... :bounce: Congrats!