Sign in with
Your question

Intel i5-3550 - Overclock?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 23, 2013 5:00:10 PM

I have an msi B75MA-P45 motherboard. I'm wondering if it would be best to get the i5-3550, which costs less and uses less power, or go for the i5-3750k.

My motherboard has OC Genie II, claiming that this overclocks the system "in 1 second". From what I've read on overclocking, I'm not sure that my motherboard has the ability to get much use out of overclocking the 3750k.

For my build, I got a 550W power supply, so with the msi Radeon R7770 I have, I wonder if the 3750k may be too much for my system.

I plan on using this build for gaming (possibly some in 3D) and HD video editing.

Would love your input. You guys really helped with my last question. Thanks!

***CORRECTION: I meant to say 3570k, not 3750! ***

More about : intel 3550 overclock

a c 171 V Motherboard
a c 129 K Overclocking
January 24, 2013 11:30:07 AM

mstrainjr said:
I have an msi B75MA-P45 motherboard. I'm wondering if it would be best to get the i5-3550, which costs less and uses less power, or go for the i5-3750k.

My motherboard has OC Genie II, claiming that this overclocks the system "in 1 second". From what I've read on overclocking, I'm not sure that my motherboard has the ability to get much use out of overclocking the 3750k.

For my build, I got a 550W power supply, so with the msi Radeon R7770 I have, I wonder if the 3750k may be too much for my system.

I plan on using this build for gaming (possibly some in 3D) and HD video editing.

Would love your input. You guys really helped with my last question. Thanks!

Save money and get the non-K i5, you CAN NOT OC effectively on a B75 board. Although the board can handle the 3570K easily.

Although when considering video editing and 3D, you are going to need a much more powerful graphics card.

We don't use software for OCing. It would not even be a real OC with OC Genie on that board.
m
l
January 24, 2013 10:09:00 PM

Novuake said:
Save money and get the non-K i5, you CAN NOT OC effectively on a B75 board. Although the board can handle the 3570K easily.

Although when considering video editing and 3D, you are going to need a much more powerful graphics card.

We don't use software for OCing. It would not even be a real OC with OC Genie on that board.

I figured OC Genie is just some gimmick to get peeps to buy the board.

With my monitor's max resolution at 1600x900 (60Hz), I don't think I'd be stressing the card TOO much. I don't know. Right now, 3D gaming for me is using the cyan/red glasses, which works all right, but it strains my eyes after a short time. It'll be some months before I get a good monitor capable of doing real 3D.

Anything is an improvement over what I have now.

I guess I'll get the 3550, since there's no sense in paying for an unlocked CPU I can't even take advantage of.

Unless anyone has anything to add. There's still a few more weeks before I can buy the processor, so I appreciate any input.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2013 10:56:16 PM

If you have this CPU i5-3750k. A Z77 board is what you are looking if you want to overclock.
m
l
January 26, 2013 2:04:54 AM

:bounce:  ***SOLVED (as best as I can tell)*** :bounce: 

I just did what I should have done in the first place. I read Don Woligroski's Best Gaming CPUs For The Money: January 2013 on this very website (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...). According to him, I don't need anything more than the i5-3350P, which costs about $40 less. In fact, other sites also say that the 3350P is the best buy for the money at this price range.
The HD graphics are disabled, but I have a decent video card to make up for it.

At this point, I absolutely refuse to buy another mobo just to OC the 3570k.

I thank those who responded to my question here, and I hope someone might find the info above to be useful in their quest for a processor.
m
l
February 4, 2013 4:49:48 PM

Just an update:

I went with the i5-3470, a second gen that works better than the lower-end i5 third gen, the 3550P.

My computer is up and running, and I can play Assassin's Creed III smoothly.

Thanks for your replies!
m
l
a c 171 V Motherboard
a c 129 K Overclocking
February 4, 2013 5:19:05 PM

mstrainjr said:
Just an update:

I went with the i5-3470, a second gen that works better than the lower-end i5 third gen, the 3550P.

My computer is up and running, and I can play Assassin's Creed III smoothly.

Thanks for your replies!

The 3470 is still third gen. I5-2xxx are second gen.
m
l
February 4, 2013 7:16:32 PM

Novuake said:
The 3470 is still third gen. I5-2xxx are second gen.

Ah, well then... Ok. :) 
m
l
!