Hard drive making noise until selected

Gregsvn

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Hello,

I have a Western Digital hard drive that i use to store backup files on it's a WD caviar green 1tb drive sata 2 5400rpm/8mb cache. It's been working without a problem for 4 years now and still technically is but it started making a noise recently that occurs every 15 or so minutes, it sounds the same as when you copy a large number of files to a disk or when a disk is searched by windows for content on startup. This noise continues untill you select the drive in My computer and open a folder on it. Bios hasn't been changed since before the problem started, my motherboard is updated, i've ran a chkdsk /r /f on the disk and checked the connection cables. Everything seems to be in order except the noise persists. I'm using a core 2 quad 9400 with 4gb ram and windows 7 ultimate x64. If anyone has an idea what's causing the noise i would really appreciate the help.

Greg

Gregsvn

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
WD's diagnostic tool didn't do much but i ran another chkdsk /r /f, this time in windows cmd not as a startup schedule and so far there's no noise. I'll give it a few more hours but it appears to have solved it. So if anyone is experiencing similar problems run the chkdsk /r /f in windows and let check disk dismount the drive.

TRENDING THREADS