Sign in with
Your question

A little Help Need Please

Last response: in CPUs
May 27, 2010 10:37:29 AM

Hi guys
sorry if this is a wrong place to talk about RAM.
anyways, i bought 6gb ocz platinum ram, tripple channel, for my core i7 920. i updated the bios and the rams were perfectly detected by my motherboard msi x58 pro-e. i then decided to run memtest86 on it to test it. i ran multiple memtests on it, as one memtest program can test 1gb mas so i ran 6 of them. i ran them and went outside. when i returned after 4 hours, i saw one error in one or the tests. please note that the ram was set to auto in bios and was rated as 1066mhz while it originally was 1333 in speed. so i went in the bios and changed it from auto to manual and set the values myself. i set it to 1333 and also the cas latency to the factory stated values which was i think 7-7-7-20, not sure in this but i think this was it. so then i ran the memtest again and this time for like 8 hours and it did not run into any errors. is this fine or do i have a faulty ram? apart from this memtest, ram does not show any signs of faults in it. is this normal or not.
one thing i noticed is that when i ran the test for the first time, in which i got the error, the ram usage was 5.98gb in the task manager. but the next time i ran, it showed 5.87gb ram used. it goes to 5.98gb but then comes down to 5.87 or something.
so finally i wanted to ask if my ram is fine or should i think of sending it in warranty?
Hope to hear from you guys soon. thanks

More about : question

May 27, 2010 10:55:41 AM

your ram sounds fine. one small error should be acceptable. also your ram is rated at 1066 because your cpu handles ram at 1066, you'll need to OC your processor to handle anything above 1066
May 27, 2010 10:58:20 AM

Collie147 said:
your ram sounds fine. one small error should be acceptable. also your ram is rated at 1066 because your cpu handles ram at 1066, you'll need to OC your processor to handle anything above 1066

Hi
Thanks for your reply.
In the bios i have manually set it to 1333mhz and its cas latencies to the original values. after setting them, i did not get any errors. does this means it never had an error, and the error that i got was due to incorrect settings of the ram?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 27, 2010 2:51:52 PM

Everything runs off of BCLK - the RAM speed will increase by increasing BCLK or by changing a multiplier. In this case 1066 is an 8 multiplier and it sounds like you increased it to a 10 multiplier which is 133 x 10 or 1333.

A single error may or may not mean anything. DRAM is susceptible to errors which can be caused by system noise, PS noise, random frequencies and so on. Changing frequencies (as you did) may change the error.

Just because the RAM distributors sell you a model rated at a certain speed, doesnt mean it will work in a specific motherboard, PSU, etc. Personally I find the RAM distributors (they dont manufacturer it) overstate the specs, then they blame the system for not being solid enough. I belive that anything over 1066 is not part of the spec anyhow which means the distributors are picking our sticks that test better and selling them for more.

Make sure you are running the RAM at 1.6v for best results.

Sounds like your RAM is fine (opinion only).

If you are worried run the RAM tests for longer but I wouldnt worry about it.

BTW this is why servers run ECC - if a single bit error happens for whatever reason, it will be corrected.
May 27, 2010 4:24:02 PM

vvhocare5 said:
Everything runs off of BCLK - the RAM speed will increase by increasing BCLK or by changing a multiplier. In this case 1066 is an 8 multiplier and it sounds like you increased it to a 10 multiplier which is 133 x 10 or 1333.

A single error may or may not mean anything. DRAM is susceptible to errors which can be caused by system noise, PS noise, random frequencies and so on. Changing frequencies (as you did) may change the error.

Just because the RAM distributors sell you a model rated at a certain speed, doesnt mean it will work in a specific motherboard, PSU, etc. Personally I find the RAM distributors (they dont manufacturer it) overstate the specs, then they blame the system for not being solid enough. I belive that anything over 1066 is not part of the spec anyhow which means the distributors are picking our sticks that test better and selling them for more.

Make sure you are running the RAM at 1.6v for best results.

Sounds like your RAM is fine (opinion only).

If you are worried run the RAM tests for longer but I wouldnt worry about it.

BTW this is why servers run ECC - if a single bit error happens for whatever reason, it will be corrected.

Hi
Thanks for your reply.
I am running the ram at 1.65v, as stated by ocz. Apart from that 1 error, which i never saw when i ran the test again with the original settings, the system is running perfectly fine, no restarts or noisy or something. So i think the rams will be fine. i just wanted an opinion of you guys.
!