Dead Pixels?

Doobie13

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Hey guys i just bought a new 24" widescreen monitor. When I have it on the desktop I am seeing dead pixels appear the longer I let the computer run. I also have my 360 hooked up through the HDMI and when I run it I cannot spot any dead pixels what so ever.

I am only running a 7900GT card right now due to my PSU being on the fritz. have another card here but my PSU won't allow me to use it to check.

Just wanting to make sure that the dead pixels would only be attributed to the videocard not being able to render them all on the monitor or if it really is a display issue.

Thanks for any help

Given that it doesn't happen with the HDMI hook up, and when it does happen, they continue to multiple over time, this leads me to believe it's the video card.

I had a video card I purchased recently have green pixels slowly show up on my desktop and multiple over time. It was nothing more than a bad video card. What was also interesting, is they went away in 3D mode.

Doobie13

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
I appreciate the quick response. I was just wanting to make sure that the card was the issue. It's an old card anyway, I bought it brand new when they first came out. Looks like I get to sink another 200+ dollars into a new PSU so that way I can plug in my other one.

It sucks whenever you have these issues for sure, but playing with hardware always tends to cause some issues i guess. Too bad about the card that you mentioned, hope you got that resolved. I'm looking at doing a switch form Nvidia to ATI in the near future. About the only thing Nvidia has going for them anytime soon is if their Fermi architecture works out like its suppose to. But we will see.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Agreed. You tested 2 different input sources... and only one (the PC) exhibited the unresponsive pixels... so I agree with bystander that your monitor sounds like it's ok. If you have onboard video you can do some testing with that just to make sure it's nothing with the actual VGA/DVI interface feeding or the cable... but odds are very high that it's your GPU.

Doobie13

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Cool, thanks guys for the help.

Unfortunately the PC was personally built by me and I went with no onboard video, but from what I have tested and what you guys have said I am pretty sure its just my outdated GPU. Even new I think that card would have issues running at this resolution. Again, thanks for the help.

I don't believe it has anything to do with being outdated. I believe it's damaged.

Even outdated cards shouldn't cause artifacts or missing pixels. I'd say your GPU has issues. Check to see if it's overheating.

I run a 1920x1200 (laptop) display off a Geforce Go 7950 GTX all the time, so yours should be more than capable of driving that resolution.

Doobie13

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Well I have had more issues with the GPU. I have done some research and from what I can tell there were some chip issues with the 7900GT. So more than likely you guys are correct in assuming faulty hardware. The good thing is that my 1000W PSU is on its way so my new card will be taking over from this point on. Hopefully this will be the end of all my problems...

Again, thanks for all the help guys.