• Intel i5
Last response: in CPUs
May 27, 2010 11:05:34 AM

Hi folks,

I recently purchased a laptop with the following:

CPU: i3-330m
RAM: 6GB DDR3-1066
VC: ATI mobility radeon hd 5470

I have the option of upgrading the CPU to an i5-430m for $100. A friend of a friend tells me that the video card is low-middle class and that increasing to an i5-430m would not be worth the extra $100 as the bottleneck would be the video card.

So really I'm looking for a second opinion...would the upgrade to the i5 be worth the extra $100? Any help would be great thanks!

More about : 330m 430m casual gaming

May 27, 2010 11:15:30 AM

What are you going to play?
m
l
May 27, 2010 11:26:29 AM

Sorry, I was thinking crysis and battlefield BC2
m
l
Related resources
May 27, 2010 1:40:27 PM

Ok thanks. I need a new laptop for school anyways so this should be more than adequate.

I think it's time to build my own PC for my gaming needs ^ ^

edit: you know any decent guides for doing so?
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 27, 2010 1:53:09 PM

Probably perfect though for the PC Games at Good Old Games (which don't have any DRM whatsoever).
I was surprised about what they had, as some of their games are quite recent modern ones like iL-2 Sturmovik 1946 which runs quite well on my Athlon II 240 budget desktop system with it's Radeon 4200 IGP
http://www.gog.com/en/frontpage/
Postal 2 was good for laughs too which I also bought.
m
l
May 28, 2010 5:03:34 AM

jj463rd said:
Probably perfect though for the PC Games at Good Old Games (which don't have any DRM whatsoever).
I was surprised about what they had, as some of their games are quite recent modern ones like iL-2 Sturmovik 1946 which runs quite well on my Athlon II 240 budget desktop system with it's Radeon 4200 IGP
http://www.gog.com/en/frontpage/
Postal 2 was good for laughs too which I also bought.

Postal.... ahh the good times...
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 28, 2010 7:38:54 AM

Yeah I have the original Postal too on CD from the old days although I did buy Postal 1 as well as 2 at GoG.I hacked some of the game files in Postal 1 to make up stories about a friend I knew who always got in trouble with the law.That's also good for a laugh.
One thing I noticed though is that some of their reworked pre XP games seem to be glitchy so no problem I run those on a Windows 98SE/Pentium 3 PC.
I have seen no problems yet with their reworked titles that were originally released when or after XP came out.Still GoG isn't the only place to go but one can enjoy gaming even on a lower end PC.I like GoG because they let you install the titles you bought on as many PC's that you want to for yourself.

Gaming is relative and one can have a blast at older titles.
The only bad computer is a computer that doesn't work.
m
l
!