Radeon driver issues

Just got a boxed new Radeon 9800 128MB few days ago exclusively to play
T:DS.
This really was a crucial upgrade as I had a Voodoo 3000 before which
was still fine for RTCW.

Haven't come across any problems with this although the retail drivers
cd is probably quite old and during install Thief said drivers are below
the minimum recommended version and it might not run properly.

Graphics are fantastic and it runs tops with all maxed (except bloom of
course) without any hiccups on 1024x768 which is really high enough I
think, haven't actually tried any higher yet.
All this on 1470MHZ OC AMD Thunderbird from 2001(before Athlon XP) with
512MB Ram, 4X AGP. Just to prove you don't need a 2.5+ Gig processor and
a GB of memory to run it.

Be sure to disable real-time virusscanning though, software firewall and
other non-essential stuff when playing offline like Webwasher etc.

This left me wondering if it's an issue with XP -it's obviously using
more resources but also the display related issues people experience
with the Catalyst drivers- I'm running 2000Pro SP2.

Well, this underspecced machine is probably a testimony to what a good
card the 9800Pro is.

Happy taffing, will post impressions of the game later. Like it more
than I thought I would but still find TMA better. Great graphics aren't
everything, but already feel I've got my moneys worth.
And it's only ~ £20.00 mailorder, another argument over Xbox. And you
can edit files.

Good night fellow gamers,
Barnaby

--
Democracy has yet to be achieved.

Runs fine in 1280x1024 as well. Top board.

--
Democracy has yet to be achieved.

Where did you get it new for £20???

"Paul Harris" <paul@NO-SPAMstudham74.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> Where did you get it new for £20???

I was talking about the game, PC DVD version.

It's £21.99 at amazon.co.uk or £16.99 at play.com incl. postage, can't beat
that. I had difficulty registering with play.com though and in the end went
for ordering from amazon.

Barnaby

> > Where did you get it new for £20???
> >

> I was talking about the game, PC DVD version.

Ah right :)