Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need help with overclocking Core 2 Duo E8500

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
January 23, 2013 7:48:15 PM

Hello, I've tried to overclock a bit my E8500. I've read a lot of forums that it's a good cpu for an oc.I've started by increasing the FSB with just 5-10 on 9.5 multiplier, but it even if I increase the fsb with 2-3 the monitor won't turn on when I reboot and then after few switch offs it goes to some safe bios mode and it changes back to frequency to 333.I've read people oc-ing this processor to 3.5+ just with increasing the FSB without any voltages but my pc seems like it's not able to increase it even with a bit.I'm guessing it might be from the power supply or the mother board.I've also previously have increased the dram voltage with about 0.2 cos I was getting blue screens and since I've increased I haven't had probs with that(I've got 2x 4GB DDR3 1333).Could it be from that ram voltage increase?My mb is Asrock G41C-VS, it doesn't have a lot of OC option, I can't even find vcore option...

Any suggestion and help is welcomed :) 

- Regards.
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2013 8:34:33 PM

KrisoUK said:
Hello, I've tried to overclock a bit my E8500. I've read a lot of forums that it's a good cpu for an oc.I've started by increasing the FSB with just 5-10 on 9.5 multiplier, but it even if I increase the fsb with 2-3 the monitor won't turn on when I reboot and then after few switch offs it goes to some safe bios mode and it changes back to frequency to 333.I've read people oc-ing this processor to 3.5+ just with increasing the FSB without any voltages but my pc seems like it's not able to increase it even with a bit.I'm guessing it might be from the power supply or the mother board.I've also previously have increased the dram voltage with about 0.2 cos I was getting blue screens and since I've increased I haven't had probs with that(I've got 2x 4GB DDR3 1333).Could it be from that ram voltage increase?My mb is Asrock G41C-VS, it doesn't have a lot of OC option, I can't even find vcore option...

Any suggestion and help is welcomed :) 

- Regards.


Overclocking LGA775 is a delicate balence between RAM and CPU, you have to keep the CPU to Ram ratio in check, they come in several diffrent ratio's like 1:1, 2:1, and so on.

I had the DDR2 version of that motherboard, the G31m-s, and it didnt really have much options, I was able just to turn up the FSB and get something decent. Keep in mind that you need a decent heatsink to keep it cool.

Try running the processor at 1333mhz or 1600mhz if that board supports it.
January 24, 2013 5:45:26 PM

Ye both my cpu and ram work on 1333 atm and thats the max for both and max for my mb.I have 2x 4GB Rams and in cpuz says each works at 667 at combine fsb 1333 as they are dual technology and it says the ratio is 1:2 whatever that means :)  I've tried to set that ration to 1:1 as other oc'ers do, but it seems there isn't such an option on my silly mb bios :( . The FSB increase still doesn't work, even if I up it by 1 to 334 at 9.5 multipler the pc starts but the monitor doesn't turn on and in few attempts to restart it it automatically resets the cpu fsb back to 333 so the pc starts.My main question was why is that happening?Surely I should be able to increase the fsb with at least 1 or 2 without a prob.I was thinking that my psu is too weak but the fsb hasn't got anything to do with it :S Still can't find an answer...
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2013 8:06:01 PM

KrisoUK said:
Ye both my cpu and ram work on 1333 atm and thats the max for both and max for my mb.I have 2x 4GB Rams and in cpuz says each works at 667 at combine fsb 1333 as they are dual technology and it says the ratio is 1:2 whatever that means :)  I've tried to set that ration to 1:1 as other oc'ers do, but it seems there isn't such an option on my silly mb bios :( . The FSB increase still doesn't work, even if I up it by 1 to 334 at 9.5 multipler the pc starts but the monitor doesn't turn on and in few attempts to restart it it automatically resets the cpu fsb back to 333 so the pc starts.My main question was why is that happening?Surely I should be able to increase the fsb with at least 1 or 2 without a prob.I was thinking that my psu is too weak but the fsb hasn't got anything to do with it :S Still can't find an answer...


OC failure, have you tried to increase the voltage any?
January 24, 2013 8:09:04 PM

No, the mb has only dram voltage option northbridge voltage option and 2 more which I dont even know what they are but they are not cpu voltage :( 
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2013 8:35:34 PM

KrisoUK said:
No, the mb has only dram voltage option northbridge voltage option and 2 more which I dont even know what they are but they are not cpu voltage :( 


Might be stuck because of the motherboard features then :l
!