Closed Solved

ASUS P7P55D-E LX PCIe Bandwidth concern

Hello everybody. I just have a simple question I can't find the answer do to a lack of reviews on the ASUS P7P55D-E LX motherboard.

I'm only going to use 1 slot for a gtx 580. I know the ASUS P7P55D-E Pro has a added controller to get around USB3.0 & Sata 3.0 reducing PCie x16 down to x8. Does the -LX do the same thing?
So basically, will the ASUS P7P55D-E LX allow me to run my gtx 580 at x16 while using Sata III and USB 3.0?

Thanks a ton.
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about asus p7p55d pcie bandwidth concern
  1. Best answer
    The BIG difference is the ASUS P7P55D-E supports CF and I'm certain the Phases LX has less vs the 12+2 Phases of the -E {the LX is a fancy meaning for budget} the Pro is 16 Hybrid Phase. {LX/DX/Pro, etc - the meanings vary}. However, the ASUS P7P55D-E Pro also ADDS SLI support!!!

    Side-by-Side - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=40000280&IsNodeId=1&Description=ASUS%20P7P55D-E&bop=And&CompareItemList=280|13-131-620^13-131-620-TS,13-131-634^13-131-634-TS,13-131-621^13-131-621-TS

    I would EASILY recommend the ASUS P7P55D-E Pro over the E/LX versions with a GTX 580; the SLI PCIe 2.0 x16 (single at x16 or dual at x8 / x8 mode) and the GTX barely can fully saturate the x8 for the second GTX 580 if you decide later to add one.

    ASUS P7P55D-E Pro http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=T2FxW2fXGZQgSn2V
  2. You will have full x16 bandwidth with the GTX 580 when using USB 3.0 & SATA III.

    Side-note: Like your sig comment... Been there done that when I spent 95% of my time in the System's section.
  3. jaquith said:
    The BIG difference is the ASUS P7P55D-E supports CF and I'm certain the Phases LX has less vs the 12+2 Phases of the -E {the LX is a fancy meaning for budget} the Pro is 16 Hybrid Phase. {LX/DX/Pro, etc - the meanings vary}. However, the ASUS P7P55D-E Pro also ADDS SLI support!!!

    Side-by-Side - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=40000280&IsNodeId=1&Description=ASUS%20P7P55D-E&bop=And&CompareItemList=280|13-131-620^13-131-620-TS,13-131-634^13-131-634-TS,13-131-621^13-131-621-TS

    I would EASILY recommend the ASUS P7P55D-E Pro over the E/LX versions with a GTX 580; the SLI PCIe 2.0 x16 (single at x16 or dual at x8 / x8 mode) and the GTX barely can fully saturate the x8 for the second GTX 580 if you decide later to add one.

    ASUS P7P55D-E Pro http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=T2FxW2fXGZQgSn2V


    Bummer, I need to cut $40 off my build and I was hoping that'd be it haha.
    can the pro support 2 gtx 580's if i choose to in the future? As in, is there enough room between PCIe slots?
  4. tecmo34 said:
    You will have full x16 bandwidth with the GTX 580 when using USB 3.0 & SATA III.

    Side-note: Like your sig comment... Been there done that when I spent 95% of my time in the System's section.

    Thank you there seems to be no reviews on the LX version, and tons on the pro so I wasn't sure.

    And I know right? Its that WD 6.0GB/s model too. They see sata III and jump on it even though it doesn't even max out sataII speeds!
  5. vindictive said:
    Bummer, I need to cut $40 off my build and I was hoping that'd be it haha.
    can the pro support 2 gtx 580's if i choose to in the future? As in, is there enough room between PCIe slots?

    Yep, that's why {only reason} I linked it, or later you can toss-out the {LX}; which idea works better for you??

    BTW - 6.0GB/s = SATA3 = Interface ; zip to do with the speed of a drive itself. Example WD HDD 6.0GB/s/7200 RPM/1TB/32B cache vs WD HDD 6.0GB/s/7200 RPM/1TB/32B cache = SAME HDD with Different Interface. So unless you plan on purchasing a Crucial C300 SATA 128GB+ SSD there's NO advantage with ANY HDD.

    Typical:
    WD HDD 6.0GB/s/7200 RPM/1TB/32B cache - ~145 MB/s R
    WD HDD 3.0GB/s/7200 RPM/1TB/32B cache - ~145 MB/s R
    Crucial C300 SATA 128GB+ SSD - ~355 MB/s R

    3.0GB/s {SATA2} = 300 MB/s per device limit
    6.0GB/s {SATA3} = 600 MB/s per device limit
  6. jaquith said:
    Yep, that's why {only reason} I linked it, or later you can toss-out the {LX}; which idea works better for you??

    BTW - 6.0GB/s = SATA3 = Interface ; zip to do with the speed of a drive itself. Example WD HDD 6.0GB/s/7200 RPM/1TB/32B cache vs WD HDD 6.0GB/s/7200 RPM/1TB/32B cache = SAME HDD with Different Interface. So unless you plan on purchasing a Crucial C300 SATA 128GB+ SSD there's NO advantage with ANY HDD.

    Typical:
    WD HDD 6.0GB/s/7200 RPM/1TB/32B cache - ~145 MB/s R
    WD HDD 3.0GB/s/7200 RPM/1TB/32B cache - ~145 MB/s R
    Crucial C300 SATA 128GB+ SSD - ~355 MB/s R

    3.0GB/s {SATA2} = 300 MB/s per device limit
    6.0GB/s {SATA3} = 600 MB/s per device limit

    thanks mate. And I knew about the limits :P, I was going to get the crucial C300 which would be bottlenecked if used with SATA II (reading only).
    I had to drop a SSD when deciding to try and fit the gtx 580 in my budget. Original plan was 6870 (CF in 3 months) and a 90GB SSD.
  7. BTW - anything less than a ~128 GB SSD is more aggravation than a gain...
  8. yea fills up to fast?
  9. Best answer selected by vindictive.
  10. My 'concern' about small SSDs is the unwritten 'PITA' installing Apps on a second HDD which defeats the entire 'advantage' of speeding up your rig. More 'pain' than help, however, changing the default locations of Documents, Pictures, etc is very simple.

    Good Luck!
  11. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Bandwidth Motherboards Product