Your question

Help choosing a graphic card

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 4, 2010 1:20:45 PM

Hi guys,

I’m looking to buy a new graphic card on my pc but I’m confused… a lot!
My current graphic card is a Nvidia 8600gts SILENT 515mg, it was ok when I was playing with my little 17 inches monitor but I recently bought a 24 inches wide screen and I want to play in High definition.

I’m looking to put around 150$ on my new graphic card but there is a lot of choice and I can’t figure out what I should get to get the best for the money I put in.

Also, I got a 430W power supply, is it too weak?
Finaly, does buying more ram could help for gaming?

Here is my spec:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 @2.33GHz
2G Ram
Graphic Card : Nvidia 8600gts SILENT
MotherBoard : Asus P5LD2

I would really appreciate a little help,
Thanks in advance!

P.S : Sorry for my poor English, it’s not my first language ;) 

More about : choosing graphic card

a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2010 2:00:50 PM

I would say for $150.00, the 5770 would be your best option. I would not worry about getting more RAM (unless you're using Win 7 or Vista 64-bit, then you might want a total of 4GB) Also, have you considered overclocking the E6550? It will help a great deal better than adding more RAM.
m
l
March 4, 2010 2:06:59 PM

My cumputer skills are not bad but i never atempted to overclock my pc...
Thanks for the advice, i will look at this option and see if it look easy ;)  hehe
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2010 2:08:02 PM

drumiski said:
Hi guys,

I’m looking to buy a new graphic card on my pc but I’m confused… a lot!
My current graphic card is a Nvidia 8600gts SILENT 515mg, it was ok when I was playing with my little 17 inches monitor but I recently bought a 24 inches wide screen and I want to play in High definition.

I’m looking to put around 150$ on my new graphic card but there is a lot of choice and I can’t figure out what I should get to get the best for the money I put in.

Also, I got a 430W power supply, is it too weak?
Finaly, does buying more ram could help for gaming?

Here is my spec:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 @2.33GHz
2G Ram
Graphic Card : Nvidia 8600gts SILENT
MotherBoard : Asus P5LD2

I would really appreciate a little help,
Thanks in advance!

P.S : Sorry for my poor English, it’s not my first language ;) 

24" Monitor will usually equal 1920x1200 resolution. An HD 5770 will be enough to play mid-high to high depending on game optimization. Best card you can get however for $150~
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2010 2:11:26 PM

I would say a +1 to the 5770. This should really do everything you need to do. You'll possibly want to try OCing your CPU as well. You are probably fine with 2gb of RAM unless you have a 64bit OS where you might want 4, but thats not gonna be your bottleneck at this point. You could try a 5750, but that would probably be a little underpowered for playing at 1920x1080. The 5850 would be awesome, but is about double your budget, and would be more than you need to have. The 430W PSU depends on what brand it is. if its a high quality supply, then it should probably be enough, but if its a cheapo one, you may be tight.
m
l
!