Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Voltage/ bad stick of ram problem

Last response: in Memory
Share
November 17, 2010 8:49:15 PM

hi,
i recently purchased 2x (2gb sticks) of xms2 corsair ddr2 i installed one stick and 70% of the time it worked as expected and started normally the other 30% it would freeze at the boot screen completely and i would have to restart once or twice before it fully booted(and continued to work) however once i installed the second stick of corsair xms2 the computer would continuously freeze upon booting up i was thinking this was a bad stick but was wondering if this could possibly be a voltage issue the voltage on each of the sticks is 1.80v. and their both 800mhz
thanx.
a b } Memory
November 18, 2010 10:56:45 AM

Have you put the RAM in the correctly designated slots?
you need to read thru the Manual of your mobo to know which slots are to be populated when using less amount of RAM than the slots on the Board....
By the way, whats the make of your Mobo
Are those RAMs listed in the QVL of the mobo...?
More information is needed than what you have given....
a c 163 } Memory
November 18, 2010 12:37:06 PM

Hi gumby2 and welcome to Tom's forum.

Test the RAM with memtest86+
Related resources
November 18, 2010 12:58:42 PM

alyoshka said:
Have you put the RAM in the correctly designated slots?
you need to read thru the Manual of your mobo to know which slots are to be populated when using less amount of RAM than the slots on the Board....
By the way, whats the make of your Mobo
Are those RAMs listed in the QVL of the mobo...?
More information is needed than what you have given....



o i c well i have 4 slots and i am certian i have put the ram in the correct slots because when i bought the computer i had 2x (1gb sticks) in those slots and it was working fully
the make of my mobo is - kn9 sli- by abit
and unfortunately i thought my computer was toast (died like a year and a half ago) then a friend was able to bring it back to life so i no longer have my manual for the mobo so the QVL is something i know nothing of
a b } Memory
November 18, 2010 4:03:28 PM

@ saint19 +1.

QVL = Quality/Qualified Vendor List. Basically, this is Abit's hardware manufacturer support list. When using anything from this list, there are two very distinct advantages:

1. Reliability. Abit is telling consumers that the components on the QVL was tested by Abit and has proven to work successfully.

2. Tech Support. With any tech support, the first line of what seems to be a script they read off of is: What are the components used? Using parts from the QVL will stop any tech support rep from speculating an incompatible part, thus allowing you to continue with the tech support faster. If you didn't have something from the QVL and encountered a problem, there is a high probability that the tech support would recommend using something from the QVL before they can issue an RMA.

Regarding your issues...

Voltage is equally important, but since you didn't mention that you specifically set the voltage to 1.8, I assume that it is still on [Auto]. Stabililty can be increased not only by adjusting the voltage, but by adjusting the frequency and timings, too.

If you know that the 2x2GB pair 'requires' 1.8V, there must be other settings specified, as well. Look at the packaging or on the sticker on the RAM modules. You should see the frequency and timings next to or near the voltage setting.

Once you've found the frequency and timings, adjust your BIOS to reflect the settings specified.

By the way, click here to get the MT86+ website. From there, download the compressed (.zip) file containing the disc image (.iso) that you'll need to burn to CD (using a DVD would be a waste). Once the disc image has been burned to CD, put the disc into your computer. The test runs automatically. Allow the test to run for 8-10 passes. The term "passes" does not mean pass, as in success; rather it means pass, as pass through.

November 18, 2010 8:56:49 PM

thank you very much for all your help that should get me headed in the right direction.
!