Sign in with
Your question

Problem with my 1000W PSU?

Last response: in Systems
March 18, 2010 10:34:15 AM

Hey, just a bit of relevant background info. Initially built myself a Core2Duo E8500 system running Asus P5Q Pro Turbo MB, 4GB DDR2800, 4x Sata HDD, DVD ROM Drive, and a GTX 260 OC 216 core vid card, through a Solytech 1000W (not particularly well known brand i know) PSU cause it was pretty cheap and appeared to have good total amperage and 20ish for each 12v rail.

Everytime i tried to play oblivion or something intensive on it, graphics would totally muck up (colors distortion discoloration etc) between 5-20 minutes. So I suspected the video card (as more cooling didnt fix it or reinstalling/drivers etc) and sent it back under warranty.

I also decided that i'd flag the current system and upgrade to something even more powerful - so now I got an i7 930 with an Asus P5Q Board, and 4GB DDR1333 RAM (same case, same hdds, same everything else including the Solytech 1000W PSU). Got a new GTX 260 OC as it was replaced under warranty by the supplier.

Everything installed ok however once again when I played Oblivion (at pretty damn high settings too) it appeared to be working perfectly, no crappy fps or horrid lag or anything which i was getting on the other pc, so i assumed video card ok. However, after that glorious 40 minutes the system just turned itself off - completely without warning, dead. I've attempted to turn it back on with no luck - I can only assume that it must be that damn 1000W, as all of the other important processing components were new.

Should I just buy a replacement PSU? And if so, what would you guys recommend based on my current setup?

Thanks

More about : problem 1000w psu

March 18, 2010 12:47:56 PM

I would run through the standard no post troubleshooting thread (link is in my signature). If that doesn't help, and there are absolutely no lights, fans, beeps, etc. going on when you try to start it, I would say it's likely the PSU. However, you will need to check other parts as soon as possible because POS PSU (which your unit is) have a tendency to take other parts with it when it dies.

Let this be a lesson. Buy quality PSUs. For your uses, a 750W or 850W would be perfectly fine. Pick any unit from Antec, Corsair, Silverstone, SeaSonic or PC Power & Cooling. Definitely get one that's at least 80 Plus Certified. I would say that 80 Plus Bronze or Silver would be perfect.
March 19, 2010 10:17:00 PM

Agreed with Mad
Of all components on a CPU build the PSU should be the one of the most important, if not THE most important. (Speaking from experience)
In fact here recently a friend of mine recently had a pretty bad PSU experience.
He kept hearing a grinding noise coming from his CPU so he turned his CPU off. When he went to turn it back on he likened the next action as a FlashBang going off in his computer. (Including the Flash and the loud noise). It was so bad that it actually stunned him long enough that he fell back into his computer chair and had to think about what just happened. Of course he knows how to build computers and luckily for him apparently none of his other components where damaged.

Long story but I personally have used OCZ, Thermaltake and Corsair PSU's that I would recommend.
I have used others as well but but wouldnt recommend.
Its definately a hard lesson hope the rest of your stuff is ok.
March 20, 2010 6:37:02 AM

jaredcool33 said:
Hey, just a bit of relevant background info. Initially built myself a Core2Duo E8500 system running Asus P5Q Pro Turbo MB, 4GB DDR2800, 4x Sata HDD, DVD ROM Drive, and a GTX 260 OC 216 core vid card, through a Solytech 1000W (not particularly well known brand i know) PSU cause it was pretty cheap and appeared to have good total amperage and 20ish for each 12v rail.

Everytime i tried to play oblivion or something intensive on it, graphics would totally muck up (colors distortion discoloration etc) between 5-20 minutes. So I suspected the video card (as more cooling didnt fix it or reinstalling/drivers etc) and sent it back under warranty.

I also decided that i'd flag the current system and upgrade to something even more powerful - so now I got an i7 930 with an Asus P5Q Board, and 4GB DDR1333 RAM (same case, same hdds, same everything else including the Solytech 1000W PSU). Got a new GTX 260 OC as it was replaced under warranty by the supplier.

Everything installed ok however once again when I played Oblivion (at pretty damn high settings too) it appeared to be working perfectly, no crappy fps or horrid lag or anything which i was getting on the other pc, so i assumed video card ok. However, after that glorious 40 minutes the system just turned itself off - completely without warning, dead. I've attempted to turn it back on with no luck - I can only assume that it must be that damn 1000W, as all of the other important processing components were new.

Should I just buy a replacement PSU? And if so, what would you guys recommend based on my current setup?

Thanks

Solytech is utter crap they have been known to overate their power supplies with substandard components and quality control get a better power supply
!