Sign in with
Your question

Final Comments and Suggestions

Last response: in Systems
March 18, 2010 10:36:27 AM

After posting here and getting some invaluable advice i decided to go with the following system.

CPU - Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz (Lynnfield) (Socket LGA1156) - Retail + Assassin's Creed II Game [BV80605001911AP]

MOBO - Gigabyte GA-P55-UD5 Intel P55 (Socket 1156) DDR3 Motherboard [GA-P55-UD5]

GPU - XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

HDD - Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (HD103SJ) [HD103SJ]

HS - Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus (Socket AM2/AM2+/AM3/775/1156/1366)

CASE - CM Storm Scout

PSU - Coolermaster Silent Pro 700W Modular

RAM - Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 XMS3 i5 Memory Kit CL9(9-9-9-24) 1.65V

Optical Drive - Sony AD7241S 24x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer & RAM Burner + LightScribe Black Bare Drive - OEM

Managed to find all the above for just over £750 (which s slightly over my budget but i think it was worth the extra few pounds). I am mainly going to be using the system for video Editing, 3D work and other Creative softwares (eg. CS4 package). With a small amount of gaming but not really my a main focus. if cant game at the highest RES then i wont be too worried. Plus the general Movies and Internet etc.

Can anyone tell me where i went wrong, any further suggesions or just rate what i have put together finally. Link to orginal Post
March 18, 2010 10:45:23 AM

Baldwonder said:
After posting here and getting some invaluable advice i decided to go with the following system.

CPU - Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz (Lynnfield) (Socket LGA1156) - Retail + Assassin's Creed II Game [BV80605001911AP]

MOBO - Gigabyte GA-P55-UD5 Intel P55 (Socket 1156) DDR3 Motherboard [GA-P55-UD5]

GPU - XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

HDD - Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (HD103SJ) [HD103SJ]

HS - Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus (Socket AM2/AM2+/AM3/775/1156/1366)

CASE - CM Storm Scout

PSU - Coolermaster Silent Pro 700W Modular

RAM - Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 XMS3 i5 Memory Kit CL9(9-9-9-24) 1.65V

Optical Drive - Sony AD7241S 24x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer & RAM Burner + LightScribe Black Bare Drive - OEM

Managed to find all the above for just over £750 (which s slightly over my budget but i think it was worth the extra few pounds). I am mainly going to be using the system for video Editing, 3D work and other Creative softwares (eg. CS4 package). With a small amount of gaming but not really my a main focus. if cant game at the highest RES then i wont be too worried. Plus the general Movies and Internet etc.

Can anyone tell me where i went wrong, any further suggesions or just rate what i have put together finally. Link to orginal Post

You mean all that and no Gaming.. ??? :ouch:  :ouch: 

Nice rig, by the way! :bounce: 

:sol: 
March 18, 2010 10:47:58 AM

Starges said:
You mean all that and no Gaming.. ??? :ouch:  :ouch: 

Nice rig, by the way! :bounce: 

:sol: 

All that and very little gaming. There may well be a few bits and peices in time but at first its mainly being built for a work. I wouldnt say no to playing a few titles on it though.
Related resources
March 18, 2010 11:12:52 AM

^ Good build there...

Switch to a smaller PSU as you wont need 700W even for 2x HD 5770s...
Get Antec EA 500/ Corsair 550VX/ OCZ Mod 500W or OCZ Fatality 550W...These can power any single chip graphics card out there - even HD 5870...

You can save some money with the case by going with Antec 300 Illusion or get a more spacious case like the HAF 922...

Graphics card - Don't get the closed cooler type...It runs warmer than the open cooler type...
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX...
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX...

And if I were you, I would soon buy that mobo before there is any change in the price as I think it is priced very low now - even cheaper than other low end models...
March 18, 2010 11:21:25 AM

OK sweet ill look into those for definate.

How much hotter would you say the closed cooler type GPU's run? is it a only few degrees or alot? (just trying to learn as much as i can - this is my first build)

Consider the MOBO purchased then!!!
March 18, 2010 11:51:42 AM

gkay09 said:
^ Good build there...

Switch to a smaller PSU as you wont need 700W even for 2x HD 5770s...
Get Antec EA 500/ Corsair 550VX/ OCZ Mod 500W or OCZ Fatality 550W...These can power any single chip graphics card out there - even HD 5870....

Correct me if i am wrong, but i thought OCZ psus were whack, at least that's what i learned from a few threads on this site! :o  :o 
March 18, 2010 12:04:21 PM

^ The OCZ ModExtreme and the Fatality ones are pretty good as they are 80+ certified and even the StealthExtreme are also fine but not as good as the other series as these are pretty old gen...But again I would buy these if I dont find the other given options...
But I can say for sure that they are not crap...
The newer Z series are of higher quality with Gold and Silver 80+ certifications...

@Baldwonder the temp difference would be around 2-3 degrees at idle and more at load...But the case should have better airflow, which will not be a problem in your case...
March 18, 2010 12:28:39 PM

Guess ill just have to be careful with the PSU then, ill have a look into the prices for theose mentioned.

Just out of interest, i notice that everyone seems PSU crazy around here and i understand thhat it is an impoortant part of the build. However is the power of the PSU important to get as close to the amount needed for any other reason other than power saving?

What i mean is that if i were to have an over powered PSU say 100W when i only use 600W would it likely damage the system or would i just be wasting power?
March 18, 2010 12:36:15 PM

No all the components in your system only draw what they require from the psu. So yes, you would just be wasting power, and $$ :D 
March 18, 2010 1:27:58 PM

thought that would be the case, just thought id ask. As i say im stil learning. I guess that why people can buy a slightly bigger PSU than needed so that they can upgrade at a later stage.

How can i find out the amount of power exactly that i would need to run the components above?? I have looked at some of the specs and seem to be drawing a blank...any help?
March 18, 2010 1:34:37 PM

Baldwonder said:
thought that would be the case, just thought id ask. As i say im stil learning. I guess that why people can buy a slightly bigger PSU than needed so that they can upgrade at a later stage.

How can i find out the amount of power exactly that i would need to run the components above?? I have looked at some of the specs and seem to be drawing a blank...any help?

Try out some of these sites: :D 

http://www.antec.outervision.com/

http://www.coolermaster.com/support/psu_calculator.php

http://web.aanet.com.au/SnooP/psucalc.php
March 18, 2010 2:32:18 PM

Thats great thanks. Seems to answer all my questions
March 18, 2010 2:42:51 PM

Ooh i just thought of sumthing else, can anyone recommend a 12mm case fan for the side window of my case. Do i really need it. I will be overclocking the system but do i already have sufficient cooling in there or could an extra fan or 2 not hurt??

Any thoughts?
March 18, 2010 5:52:47 PM

The case has plenty of airflow without adding any extra fans.
March 18, 2010 7:30:32 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
The case has plenty of airflow without adding any extra fans.

Thanks i wont worry about looking for more fans then.

- Ill check out these lower PSU's and possibly look into the other type of GPU too. Then i think im done, than ks all for your help and advice im pretty convoinced now that i will have a build that im going to be rather happy with.
!